Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urine Infection?

(9 Posts)
MeepMeepVrooooom Fri 31-Jan-14 08:04:16

My DD woke up this morning crying in pain saying she had a sore bottom. I have checked her and there is no redness or any obvious visible sign as to what could be causing her pain.

Her urine was quite concentrated when she did manage to go for a wee. Looked a bit cloudy. She has been on the potty on and off constantly for the last 30 mins saying she needs a wee but she hasn't passed anything else since.

GP surgery doesn't open for another 30 mins. Does it sounds like a UTI? Would they give anti-antibiotics for a child of 2.5? What can I do to minimise the discomfort my DD is in?

Seeline Fri 31-Jan-14 08:12:51

Could be a UTI. I don't see why they shouldn't give ABs if necessary. In the meantime give her loads to drink.

JuliaScurr Fri 31-Jan-14 08:21:28

my dd got ab liquid for uti about that age
cleared up very quickly
yes, drink lots

NewName123 Fri 31-Jan-14 08:24:00

I would get a sample as well in a clean jar to take to the Dr

MeepMeepVrooooom Fri 31-Jan-14 08:34:22

Yes, I have been trying but she is getting too upset when trying to pass urine and just gives up. I think she is too sore.

Would a sample from a potty be acceptable? Got an appointment at 10.10 and need to go for a shower etc but know the minute I do she'll prob go for a wee.

She managed a tiny, tiny amount but nowhere near enough to use as a sample and there were a couple of (for want of a better term) white floaty bits. confused Never seen this before even when she had a UTI when she was tiny.

drinkyourmilk Fri 31-Jan-14 08:39:16

Tiny amounts are fine. We've used as little as 5-6 drops before at the hospital. Just needs to be enough to dip a test stick in.

MeepMeepVrooooom Fri 31-Jan-14 08:43:47

Just engaged brain. Of course I never noticed when she was really little, she was in a nappy... Too early for this much thinking

Seeline Fri 31-Jan-14 08:46:09

white bits in urine sound 'normal' for a UTI. Don't panic if there are some floaty bits of blood too. I'd get a GP appointment ASAP - and yes a sample from the potty would be OK - if you can make sure it's 'fresh' for each attempt that would be best smile

MeepMeepVrooooom Fri 31-Jan-14 08:54:36

I've steeped the insert in boiling water so hopefully there won't be anything that will affect the urine. Thanks ladies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now