Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diazepam for muscle spasm

(8 Posts)
MrsRichards Thu 30-Jan-14 22:05:08

Has anyone taken this for muscle spasms? I developed acute upper back pain yesterday. Saw GP this morning and diagnosis is muscle spasm around a ?bruised back rib with referred nerve pain. Prescribed codeine and also diazepam but I'm concerned about taking the latter. Has anyone taken it for this reason? (I know it is widely used for depression/anxiety). Thanks

MrsRichards

Kundry Thu 30-Jan-14 22:33:26

It can be given for muscle spasm but only in the short term - your GP probably won't want to give you another prescription after this one but thought it might get you moving again if the pain is severe.

If you can manage without it, don't bother with it.

Matildathecat Fri 31-Jan-14 04:35:57

Yes, it does work. Makes you a bit spacey but you won't be addicted after just a few days.

I was prescribed it a few weeks ago when I had such severe back pain that I literally could not move. It was brilliant at reducing the spasm and I was much better within a day or so. I only needed to take 4 or 5 doses (so less than 2 days' worth) and then moved on to normal painkillers.

NancyinCali Fri 31-Jan-14 05:19:42

Yes I had it for really bad back pain too.

Reinette Sat 01-Feb-14 07:03:29

Yes yes yes! I have used it for years (only a few times a month, not addictive in small -5mg- doses) to control neck spasms due to brain tumor surgery. It has dramatically reduced my need for all pain killers, particularly narcotics, and I would highly recommend giving it a shot to see if it works for you.

specialsubject Sat 01-Feb-14 12:13:50

close friend :-) takes it for just that, has done for 18 months, life not worth living without it. No personality effects, no apparent addiction.

MajesticWhine Sat 01-Feb-14 12:18:24

Yes I took it for a neck muscle spasm. Best to just take it very short term though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now