Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Small perineum tears...not birth-related

(13 Posts)
peking Thu 30-Jan-14 17:30:35

Hi all

Just hoping for some advice, as have been to GP twice about this and both times they've given me a prescription for steroid cream, which hasn't worked and I'm reluctant to use as it thins the skin.

I've had about 4 or 5 thin, small tears along my perineum for the last 2 years or so now, which are extremely itchy at times and bleed a little after going to the toilet. Last night I woke up with a gasp because it was so itchy - I think this was the skin's attempt to try and heal, but it just splits open again soon after.

I've not given birth, am not pregnant AFAIK - just TTC. I've had full STD checks and the GP seemed a bit baffled as to what they were. I have slightly dry skin so thought my perineum might be sensitive and thin too, and perhaps something has caused the skin to stretch and split.

Any remedies or at least sympathy from those in the know? It's starting to affect our sex life as (TMI) I'm not willing to open my legs too much in case I cause splits again sad

KateMoose Thu 30-Jan-14 21:48:48

I have really sensitive skin round there too. Try changing your loo roll or switching to washing/ reusable wipes soaked in lavender solution after a poo instead of paper. Sounds silly but try nappy cream too. Boots plain old zinc and caster oil is good and it also cured my split lip (on my mouth!) overnight! You could put some on before going to the loo and then afterwards too. What washing detergent do you use? That may be causing an allergic reaction. Also, steer clear of uncomfy pants-sounds obvious, but any likely to go up your bum won't help. Sloggi shorts are fab and there is no knicker line either.

When you go for a wee, pour a jug of water over your bits whilst weeing to stop the wee stinging the broken skin. Support your perineum with your hand (and flannel) when pooing to stop it getting stressed. And last but not least, try to eliminate sugar and sugar forming foods like bread from your diet and treat your DH/DP for thrush. He might be inadvertently causing the problem. HTH.

KateMoose Thu 30-Jan-14 21:50:04

Also, if you wax, shave, deplilate, apply immac, whatever, stop doing it. Makes the world of difference.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 30-Jan-14 21:51:03

And no scented sanitary wear, and if you wear panty liners every day try not to.

peking Thu 30-Jan-14 21:53:18

I can't stand the thought of scented anything down there, so no chance of products irritating it - and I use non-bio washing liquid.

I think a case of mild thrush years ago might have caused it initially and now it's just getting more and more sensitive. Thanks for all the tips - I'll see if they work for me!

Have you had a swab for thrush?

Has the GP suggested a diagnosis?

Does the steroid work at all? What steroid is it?

I'd push to get referred to a vulval dermatology clinic.

KateMoose Thu 30-Jan-14 21:58:43

You might even be allergic to that washing liquid. DD is allergic to fairy. Try Eco balls instead. Also, I thought of taking regular E and complex B vitamins. I think it's either a B6 or 12 deficiency that can cause small skin splits.

RosinaCopper Thu 30-Jan-14 22:01:27

What you're describing sounds like something I suffered with (still have the odd flare up). Mine turned out to be Lichen Sclerosus, which is an autoimmune condition, and there are various things that can be done to manage the symptoms, although as far as I'm aware it is incurable. That said, I haven't has a flare up for months now. Unfortunately, it needs a vulval biopsy to be properly diagnosed and having that done isn't pleasant!

The itching at night has been awful in the past and I remember being told by a GP to use some bland emollients on the skin and even they burned and stung a bit because the skin was so sensitive. Nappy cream also stung. I used to get blood from abrasions caused by sex too. You poor thing, I hope you get it sorted out.

NomNomNom Thu 30-Jan-14 22:04:11

Are you sure it's not herpes? The small tears that keep appearing are a symptom.

There was a thread here somewhere some time ago - sorry, I can't remember what it turned out to be.

1966gettingold Thu 30-Jan-14 22:17:24

I have linchen Scerlosis sounds the same, not many gps are clued up on it.

I have lichen sclerosus and was diagnosed without a biopsy. However I have also had recurrent thrush which LS can make you prone to and can be hard to differentiate from the LS.

peking Thu 30-Jan-14 22:35:59

It might be a mild skin infection, but the skin all around looks very clear and not very red, apart from the small splits.

Vaseline helps quite a lot and stops the itching for a while but isn't a long-term solution.

peking Thu 30-Jan-14 22:38:19

Oh and I eat lots of foods with B6 and B12...my diet is generally good with little bread (makes me bloated anyway...) so think it might be just generally a crappy thin skin condition!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now