Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can someone talk to me about MS please?

(6 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Thu 30-Jan-14 12:20:21

I have been having joint problems and what I thought was sciatica so I went along to doctors to see if anything could be done.

They did loads of tests and she checked my joints and sensation and he was a bit concerned so I know have an urgent neurology appointment concerning MS.

Please help I don't even know where to start.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 30-Jan-14 18:52:02

Bumping this for you, I don't have direct experience of this but understand you must be feeling overwhelmed, things will be raw until you know for sure. I have rheumatoid arthritis, my neighbour who has MS and I both commented once you mention you're being tested, it's surprising how often someone says they know someone else with that condition.

There is the MS Trust and the MS Society, maybe hold off reading until you get a diagnosis, but the sites are carefully laid out, eg www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-support/emotional-support/living-with-ms/coping-with-diagnosis/. On the MS Society there is a section covering New Diagnosis and Before Diagnosis, or as it's sometimes called Limboland.

Hoping a diagnosis isn't too long in coming, best wishes.

I hope this us reassuring: even if it is MS it's not the disease it was.

My MIL has it and has been diagnosed for 15 years. She leads a very normal life. Took early retirement due to mobility issues but this is only in the last 3 years. She can still walk and do everything normally, she only struggles when walking long distances.

The dues now are amazing and she is incredibly closely monitored.

I hope you don't have it, but if you do the future is very bright.

moldingsunbeams Fri 31-Jan-14 13:11:59

Thank you both.
Will have a look at the links thanks.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 31-Jan-14 13:14:25

I work with someone in her late 20s/early 30s who has MS. She's been diagnosed several years, and is currently in remission. You'd never know. She leads an active life, works f/t, and is planning a family.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 31-Jan-14 13:17:49

Neighbour gets fatigued every now and then, his vision hasn't been affected, he has a MS support worker who can quickly get him seen by a MS nurse if need be, he has always said it is a disease that is different for each individual. Until you know it is hard not to worry and be apprehensive I appreciate. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now