Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Referred for colonoscopy

(7 Posts)
shallweshop Thu 30-Jan-14 11:21:26

I posted the other day about some bleeding I had after going to the loo (back passage). I went to see my GP this am and she examined my stomach and rear end but couldn't find anything untoward. However, because of my age (49), she has referred me for a colonoscopy to be sure. I know I should be pleased that she is being thorough but I am so worried. She said she is not rushing the appt through because, clinically, she is happy but I should get an appt for some time in the next few weeks.

I am trying not to panic. I am hoping its something simple like internal piles (but we'd she have felt those during internal?). My bum does feel a bit sore an itchy following the appt.

Any advice or experience would be very welcome.

Charlie01234 Thu 30-Jan-14 14:29:30

Hi - I had exactly the same in December. Thought I had internal piles but the GP couldnt feel anything so referred me.
I had my colonoscopy a couple of weeks later and was absolutely terrified! All I can say is it was fine.
The 2 day 'diet' before you do the bowel prep wasnt very nice (white foods mainly) and the actual bowel prep the day before was fairly unpleasant but not unbearable. I would advise the day off (stay near the loo) with a good book/film as the prep makes you dash to the loo and feel a bit sorry for yourself.
The actual procedure was a doddle - honestly. I made the mistake of googling it and there were some horror stories on there, but I had pain relief and sedation and really didnt feel a thing apart from the air they pump into your bowel. It took about half an hour, the staff were lovely and nothing was found to pin point the cause of the bleeding.
Please dont dread it like I did, I would have another one without a worry.
Good luck.

shallweshop Thu 30-Jan-14 15:09:15

Oh Charlie thanks so much for replying. I know the dr is just doing her job and did her best to reassure me but just by referring me for the procedure she has frightened the life out of me. It is good to hear that you were given the all clear.

princessalbert Thu 30-Jan-14 17:48:37

Op - your GP sounds to be doing the right thing. It could be internal piles- I doubt they are always so easy to feel with a quick exam.

I had a sigmoidoscopy - which is similar but with a flexible tube.

I was quite worried before - but it was all fine. Just a bit windy afterwards - for quite a few hours actually.

There is another thread on here at the moment about having sedation or not whilst having a colonoscopy. You might find that useful reading too.

Good luck.

shallweshop Thu 30-Jan-14 18:01:28

Thanks princess. It's good to hear from people who have had it done. From what I have read, it sounds like a fairly common procedure - that makes me feel a bit better. I will have a look at the other thread.

Charlie01234 Thu 30-Jan-14 18:05:40

Have sedation and pain relief! Your gp would have fast tracked you if she was worried. My consultant said my bleeding was likely from old hemerhoid beds that were being irritated when I went to the loo.

shallweshop Thu 30-Jan-14 21:05:31

Thanks again Charlie thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now