Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ear symptoms

(7 Posts)
Thegoatprophecy Thu 30-Jan-14 10:09:27

I have had a number of weird symptoms for over 3 weeks now: ears feeling underwater/blocked with fullness, wanting to pop, this is worse when driving; slight tinnitus, sound sensitivity, hearing seems muffled. Have also had slight nausea and a stiff neck with some small degree of ear discomfort occasionally. Google convinced me that I had damaged my ears with loud music (it started after a loud pub gig) but have just been to the doctors and she thought my hearing was OK and it was fluid behind the drums as they were dark? However there doesn't seem any reason for this. Has anyone else had this and how long did it last for? Thanks

Elderberri Thu 30-Jan-14 14:55:43

Probably wax, do you poke things in your ear? Go to the gp.

Thegoatprophecy Thu 30-Jan-14 15:12:13

Thanks but no wax to speak of, have been to GP but it was all a bit vague, just wondered if anyone else had had similar..

babyboomersrock Thu 30-Jan-14 15:15:22

but have just been to the doctors and she thought my hearing was OK and it was fluid behind the drums as they were dark

So what did she suggest, treatment-wise? Three weeks sounds like a long time to put up with this - is she confident the symptoms will disappear?

Thegoatprophecy Thu 30-Jan-14 18:41:40

She said if it was a Eustachian tube dysfunction type thing caused by a virus or allergy it could take months to completely go, she only suggested decongestants that sort of thing. TBH I was just relieved she thought my hearing was OK, she did the tuning fork thing... It just worries me that it was straight after the loud gig with no other obvious cause; plus it seemed worse again after a work do last week which was much noisier than expected :/

babyboomersrock Fri 31-Jan-14 14:42:18

It sounds as though she was making educated guesses, rather than diagnosing. Please be careful - I have permanent tinnitus after a loud gig many years ago, and it's hell to live with at times.

I'd try to avoid noisy venues in future if I were you (despite my poor hearing and the tinnitus, I have to have my ears covered even when I go to the cinema - I find loud noise really uncomfortable now) and I'd go back to the GP and ask for a referral if it doesn't clear up soon

Thegoatprophecy Sun 02-Feb-14 00:50:59

Thanks I will. Sorry you have had such problems. It seems wrong in this day and age of health and safety that venues are allowed to play dangerously loud music sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now