Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dry, cracked very sore heel.

(30 Posts)
AmberLeaf Tue 21-Jan-14 19:50:30

My heels have been dry lately. I've neglected my general foot care of late.

One is better than it was, but I picked one of them and the cracks are very sore and have bled a little.

What can I buy to put on it?

I've used flexitol before but not sure if it is suitable for heels that have deep cracks that have bled?

Any advice or miracle cures welcome.

MyLittleFinger Tue 21-Jan-14 20:31:06

I use Flexitol Heel Balm, it says on the box "The medically proven treatment for dry and cracked feet" perhaps have a word with the pharmacist when you buy it. My heels have been sore for quite a while and I have to use Flexitol twice a day to keep on top of things. When they have been very bad I've put the cream on to a plaster and stuck that to my heel, it was really soothing.

HTH

DontCallMeDaughter Tue 21-Jan-14 20:32:07

For tonight,

DontCallMeDaughter Tue 21-Jan-14 20:33:15

Posted too soon! For tonight, any good moisturiser applied liberally and then wrap your foot in cling film. Grotty as it sounds it will be much better in the morning. Then take yourself off to the pharmacy in the morning for some advice!!

quietlysuggests Tue 21-Jan-14 20:36:23

Flexitol - in chemist
Emjoi foot micro pedi - in Argus or Boots

After messing around with all sorts of products for years - the above 2 have CURED me of 20 years of sore heels.
I now have, from week 1, soft feet.
(flexitol stings a bit if the cracks are deep, but it is the only way..)

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 21-Jan-14 20:37:29

I would put some vaseline on and sleep with socks, then wear a protective dressing till it's less sore.
then I'd use a Newtons chiropody sponge in the bath, and start using flexitol.

Musicaltheatremum Tue 21-Jan-14 21:56:02

These cracks can sometimes have fungal infection so you can use canesten cream or if that doesn't work try some lamisil cream that needs to be prescribed.

AmberLeaf Tue 21-Jan-14 22:11:54

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I've never had this before and have always given myself regular pedicures.

I think I have one of those newton sponges. it looks like that sponge that you arrange flowers in but its hard, does that sound like it? id just got a bit slack with using it lately.

I will slather on some vasaline or cocobutter tonight and see if that helps. will also speak to a pharmacist.

its really sore when I walk on it sad I will never pick at dry skin again no matter how tempting!

papalazaru Tue 21-Jan-14 22:22:39

I used to live in flip flops & sandals when we lived in Asia and I often got cracked heels. I swear by tea tree oil applied liberally around and in the cracked skin, I used to use a cotton bud, then a layer of medicated Vaseline and finally a large heavy duty plaster to keep it all on. When things got really really bad I did superglue it together once - it stung like @!*#! At first but actually did the job!

pearlgirl Tue 21-Jan-14 22:33:34

I get this sometimes and always vow not to forget to file and cream my feet - I have found compeed cream really good.

AmberLeaf Tue 21-Jan-14 22:34:33

papalazaru (love that name! )

from may to september I live in flip flops and I expect hard heels then. I lessened my pedicure routine because usually in winter my feet are soft. that's what is weird about getting this now.

tea tree makes me feel sick but I think id try anything now!

I've just put a load of cocobutter on it and it feels better already.

super glue shock you're hardcore! grin

AmberLeaf Tue 21-Jan-14 22:35:34

pearlgirl I will never neglect my feet again!

Corygal Tue 21-Jan-14 22:38:12

There is a magic tool you can get that slices the dry cracked bits around the wound off and allows you to stick the two halves of the cut together so it can heal.

Sounds bliss, I haven't tried it but apparently it's great.

AmberLeaf Tue 21-Jan-14 22:50:55

Think I'd be scared to even attempt to use one of those Corygal grin

FarFromTheMaddingCrowd Wed 22-Jan-14 03:31:48

I would recommend CCS Heel Balm (I get it from Boots). I prefer it to Flexitol, which I find too greasy. I'm a yoga teacher so try too keep my feet looking halfway decent!

AdoraBell Wed 22-Jan-14 04:16:50

Can I hijack a little bit please?

The tee tree oil? Is that puré essential oil, and if so should I use a carrier oil?

TÍA

TCP ointment - if you're after a miracle cure, this is pretty much it...! Use in any painful open cracks (not as a general moisturiser or anything) and top a thick layer with a plaster at least overnight. It's thick, yellow, stinky and feels quite old fashioned (this was a first aid box staple during my childhood smile) but it really works...!

TheApprentice Wed 22-Jan-14 07:12:40

Also body shop hemp creamfheel protector works really well for me.

GandalfsOtherHat Wed 22-Jan-14 07:28:32

Vaseline or EA eight hour cream ann socks
Newtons chiropody sponge after a soak in the bath. Got it from Amazon the last time.
Good luck, had awful cracked heels when I was pg the last time. There is nothing that beats a newtons sponge. Just beware, they snap in half quite easily, you have to kind of rotate them.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Wed 22-Jan-14 07:30:10

Pure coconut oil and socks overnight.

Bonsoir Wed 22-Jan-14 07:34:10

You need to remove as much dead skin as possible. Soak your feet (20 minutes while you are in the bath is perfect) and rub your heels with a black Newton's chiropody sponge and some shower gel to get the worst off.

After your bath dry your feet and use a battery-operated Scholl dead skin remover to smooth the skin. Only then smother your feet in Flexitol.

Repeat this treatment every day for a week or so and you should see big improvements!

CityTiliDie Wed 22-Jan-14 07:38:37

Foot care practitioner here.

DO NOT USE VASELINE, as a petroleum based product its use will actually case your skin to dry out . Its fine to use for protection and to prevent chaffing but will not ease your problem.

Gentle use of a footfile BEFORE your bath or shower around the affected area then apply a natural plant based moisturising cream or oil. Cocoa butter, coconut oil, olive oil are all excellent. Put loads on and then put on cotton or bamboo socks. Apply the cream/oil twice a day and hopefully you will see results within days.

Try not to pick at it though i doubt if i really need to tell you that.

One of the reasons for heels drying out it dehydration so try to drink plenty of water.

Good luck

AmberLeaf Wed 22-Jan-14 07:39:18

Thanks everyone.

I put a thick layer of the hard cocobutter on and wrapped a bit of carrier bag round my foot then socks over the top
ran out of clingfilm hence the plastic bag!

it feels much more comfortable now.

re TCP the smell reminds me of old ladies, but yes it is good stuff!

AmberLeaf Wed 22-Jan-14 07:41:04

Oh thank you CityTilidie smile

mypussyiscalledCaramel Wed 22-Jan-14 08:31:09

I use coconut hand cream. Its cheap and does the job quickly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now