Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pityriasis Rosea

(10 Posts)
MeepMeepVrooooom Tue 14-Jan-14 12:05:10

I am just wondering if any of you have ever suffered from this before?

I had this last summer on my legs but put it down to midge bites (although now realise it wasn't). I have had a second outbreak and attended the Dr yesterday.

He said that it tends to only occur once (obviously not the case with me, showed Dr a couple of pics of legs from last year and he agreed this was the 2nd outbreak) and he also said it is linked in with stress, especially where more than one outbreak is concerned. I've had a look online and can't actually see a link between this condition and stress

Any experiences would be appreciated.

My case of pityriasis rosea did not recur but I think around 1 in 50 people can get a recurrence. The actual causes of PR are not fully understood but sometimes viruses can trigger it. Its also more common in winter time.

Have you seen a dermatologist to get a proper diagnosis; I ask only as many GPs seem ignorant when it comes to many skin conditions. PR mainly occurs on the back and stomach too. did the GP find the herald patch?.

MeepMeepVrooooom Tue 14-Jan-14 12:42:16

Thanks for your reply. I haven't seen a dermatologist no. By the time I was to get a referral from my GP it would (if the information given about it is correct) have cleared up.

I showed the GP one specific patch which was larger and I had noticed a few weeks ago prior to the rest appearing and he did say this was the Herald Patch.

How long did yours take to disappear?

LibraryBook Tue 14-Jan-14 12:51:23

Poor you. I had this a couple of years ago during a stressful period. I had quite a big herald patch above my knee and the rash followed on from that. The rash was on my torso and legs but none on face or arms.

It took about 4 weeks to disappear entirely.

MeepMeepVrooooom Tue 14-Jan-14 13:17:28

Will keep my fingers crossed for 4 weeks. My herald path was just under my bra strap and thankfully has tracked down but not up. It does mean I have it all over my torso, back, top half of legs and lower half of arms (although not too much on arms thankfully).

Did you have anything to put on it or just let it go naturally? I've been given an antihistamine but I have had extreme reactions to these before so I am reluctant to take them unless I really have to.

MeepMeepVrooooom Tue 14-Jan-14 13:17:43

patch*

LibraryBook Tue 14-Jan-14 13:33:30

I didn't use any creams. I remember feeling hot and itchy and just took frequent tepid showers. It cleared up during a week in Greece, not sure if that was coincidence but the clear-up accelerated in the sunshine. Can you arrange for a week of winter sun? grin

CarriesPawnShop Tue 14-Jan-14 13:36:58

Once diagnosed and then again ~15 years later at a v stressful time but I didn't go to the GP then. Could you treat like chicken pox with porridge oat baths etc to relieve the itching?

It took 8 weeks for my pityriasis rosea to disappear completely. I had this on my lower back (it did not present in the usual fir/Christmas tree pattern though) and stomach.

Mine was not too itchy so did not put any cream on it.

MeepMeepVrooooom Tue 14-Jan-14 13:45:26

Can you arrange for a week of winter sun? Oooh I wish grin

Thing is it isn't unbearably itchy. Only where material runs (waist-band, bra strap along back etc), the rest get's a little annoying in the evening although I do think that's because I'm not distracted like I am during the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now