Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stomach recovery after birth

(12 Posts)
MamaPingu Thu 26-Dec-13 18:59:35

Any idea if it takes longer after a c section? I'm guessing it does if ever!

I know some people have tummy tucks after them!

I had an emergency c section 15 weeks ago and my tummy still isn't great. I'm currently running 3 times a week and my legs and face are slowly slimming down but my tummy seems similar still confused

jimijack Thu 26-Dec-13 19:03:24

Och I'm 11 months on, 2 stone lighter and still have a jelly belly.

Ugly, overhanging wobble.

Sigh.

feelinlucky Thu 26-Dec-13 19:05:18

Wow, you're amazing running three times a week. Please just give it time. You will go back to normal eventually. Mine did, although I now have a horrible fat belly but that's due to over indulgence smile

Shellywelly1973 Thu 26-Dec-13 19:09:08

How would you go back to 'normal' after a c section? Ive had 5 vaginial deliveries but unfortunately this baby is breech & has been for months...

I know it sounds vain but I worry if I have a section my stomach will be totally wrecked. I'm not over weight & normally back in my size 8 ' within a few weeks!

feelinlucky Thu 26-Dec-13 19:25:09

Shelley, I had friends comment they would never have known I had a baby after mine (a fair few months though) It's perfectly reasonable to think you can go back to 'normal' although I'm aware that not everyone does.

feelinlucky Thu 26-Dec-13 19:29:07

Oh and congratulations Shelley, I'm green with envy smile

Shellywelly1973 Thu 26-Dec-13 19:30:12

My point being, my stomach has recovered from 5 full term pregnancies bit if I have a section won't be the same as there will be a scar...

Dc 5 I took 3 weeks to get back into my normal size clothes & it nearly drove me insane as with the others it was 10 days to about 2 weeks.

MamaPingu Thu 26-Dec-13 20:54:02

I must say the scar is the least of my worries! It's the saggy pouch type belly that I'm scared of and the state of my boobs but that's a whole new thread! My belly currently has a little overhang which is the bit I hate and want gone desperately!

I'm fortunate enough to have a baby that slept through from 11 weeks (although he just had a week off the little bugger confusedwink) so I'm feeling a little bit more alive than I was doing at the start grin so I'm doing the couch to 5k challenge and at half way through.

I've never been skinny but I was reasonably firm, and now I'm just a bit of a mess! shock

MamaPingu Thu 26-Dec-13 20:55:56

Feelinlucky- how long did it take you approximately to get back to something like normal?

I'm concerned that because it was the most urgent kind of emergency c section that that will have an effect on my stomach because it was a rush!

Climbingthewalls12 Thu 26-Dec-13 20:56:47

I'm 18 months pp and still wobbly! (not a c-section either)

feelinlucky Thu 26-Dec-13 21:41:03

I had an emergency c section too. I think I was back to normal within 8 months. I do know my sister who had natural births never got rid of her wobbly belly though. I'm not sure why I didn't get one but all of my friends with children, c section or otherwise have 'normal' tummies now smile I was in a bikini with a flat and smooth tummy within a year. I was on holiday and distinctly remember my friend saying to me that you would never know I had a baby. smile cheered me up no end. Oh how I long for those days.

MamaPingu Thu 26-Dec-13 21:59:26

Oh wow that's brill! So hopefully by next summer I should be looking better, it'd be lovely if so smile
I've never wore a bikini before because I'm a little overweight and extremely insecure about my body!

But I'm in love with running so fingers crossed a bikini will be on the cards in the next year or two smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now