Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Over the counter sleep help?

(9 Posts)
EastMids2 Thu 26-Dec-13 14:50:37

Quick question - student DD really stressed last couple of weeks (breakdown of 18 month relationship, dissertation pressure, financial worries etc) and just not sleeping more than a couple of hours each night - so viscious circle and exhausted.

Asking my advice about sleeping tablets (but worried that she'll become hooked - her words not mine) and anyway cant get gp appointment for days, so does anyone know of or can recommend something from chemist? So sad to see her at such a low ebb when everyone is "happy" and she's miles away from home and tlc.

SoloXantiaClaws Thu 26-Dec-13 16:05:30

My Ds (15) doesn't sleep either and I've tried all kinds of otc meds and herbal stuff and nothing works for him.

I hope you find something that works for your Dd.

Actually, he did listen to the Paul McKenna app 'I can Make You Sleep' which worked for one night. Might help your Dd?

Rachelx92 Thu 26-Dec-13 16:06:12

I've been stressed myself lately and struggling to get to sleep until late when I have to be up early so my sister gave me 2 Kalms tabs to take. They're natural remedy so don't work for everyone they're supposed to help you relax so I took 2 an hour before going to bed and was asleep within half an hour. No harm in trying them

Rachelx92 Thu 26-Dec-13 16:07:59

Also ASMR videos on youtube tend to help me out. They're relaxing videos with the maker gently whispering. I love having my hair played with and some of the videos include hair playing/brushing

EastMids2 Thu 26-Dec-13 16:56:59

Thank you for suggestions - will try anything at this stage! DD is completely run down, spots etc. so have to try and do something to help.

weaselwomble Thu 26-Dec-13 17:11:13

Tesco pharmacy do an own brand sleeping tablet at about a quid for a box of 12. They help me if I only take them once in a while, if I take them for two nights then the effect seems to wear off. But that might just be me, worth a shot.
They do make me hallucinate as I drop off though.
It's the only brand I've found that works for me though so worth a shot.
Hope you find something to help, lack of sleep is awful.

SoloXantiaClaws Fri 27-Dec-13 12:28:24

See, the Tesco ones had no effect on my Ds or on me when I tried them.

claretandamberforever Fri 27-Dec-13 12:32:20

Nytol have helped my DH.

NewName123 Fri 27-Dec-13 13:08:47

piriton?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now