Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Osteomylitis of the jaw - possibility or not?

(18 Posts)
Emilycreaven999 Fri 27-Dec-13 10:33:44

I know.
Thankyou.
I just really hope id know if it was cancer.
Im only in my 20s with 2 young children sad never smoked never drank I just bloody hope it isn't

Mrsmorton Fri 27-Dec-13 10:27:41

I think it might be a good idea to step away from the internet. It's not doing you any favours.
There are dozens and dozens of things that can look odd on x rays, just because your dentist doesn't know what it is doesn't mean he's a bad dentist. He very fact he has admitted to nit knowing is a good sign IMO.

Stop. Googling.

Emilycreaven999 Fri 27-Dec-13 09:18:30

Hi,
Thankyou very much.
I know I am probably coming across irrational.
I am very panicked by it all if I'm honest, mainly because he just doesn't seem to actually know what it is.
He's referred me as urgent and I got a phone call last night from the hospital giving me my appt on Monday so not long to wait now.
I know I'm worrying beyond normal measures as I googled the number after and it came up with " the two week rule do ordinatior " and cancer employee after it.
That sent me into a mad panic all night sad although I suppose as he's marked it urgent it would be this co ordinatior who deals with it.
Just very worried.

AnnaBullerby Fri 27-Dec-13 01:31:48

OP - my sister had a cyst removed from her mouth many years ago. Her dentist could not find out what the problem was so referred her to the dental hospital and the cyst was removed - and the tooth saved as well. No problems since. Don't lose faith in your dentist; these things can be difficult to diagnose.

Mrs Morton (dentist) has given you a lot of reassurance so try and listen to her and ignore gobbin. Whilst waiting for your appointment perhaps your dentist or GP could prescribe you some valium or beta blockers to help with your anxiety.

Mrsmorton Thu 26-Dec-13 19:46:25

There a health anxiety thread in mental health I think. That might help you in the meantime? Your symptoms don't sound like osteomyelitis and you haven't mentioned any predisposing factors. Your symptoms don't sound like cancer either but as has been said, nobody on here can tell you. You must wait for your appointment.

If it is OM, antibiotics were the correct treatment.

gobbin Thu 26-Dec-13 12:04:01

I understand that you're worried, but every time someone has given you good advice you've ignored it and ramped up your diagnosis. Step away from Dr Google! I'm sorry your problem has arisen around Christmas meaning you won't be able to get professional advice quickly but don't frighten yourself in the meantime, you'll have to wait unfortunately.

Hope things are sorted for you soon.

Emilycreaven999 Thu 26-Dec-13 09:07:17

Thanks for that above poster.
Clearly I'm worried or there wouldn't be 5 threads.
As I said he has referred me so until then im left in the dark.
Sorry im trying to find out what the possibilities are.
You do know that you don't have to reply though don't you?

gobbin Thu 26-Dec-13 00:05:42

Fuck me this is the fifth thread you've started about your mouth. Please post back when you've been to see your GP or dentist and let us know how you get on. I really hope you have not got anything serious but please, we can't help you, get the medical help your mouth needs.

RayofSun Wed 25-Dec-13 22:59:22

An abscess can sometimes become a cyst, in simplistic terms. Osteomyelitis is a completely different condition and as Pp says, quite rare. I wouldn't worry unnecessarily.

Emilycreaven999 Wed 25-Dec-13 22:48:27

He has now said it isn't an abscess due to it being rock hard after the antibiotics

LittleTulip Wed 25-Dec-13 22:43:51

Not sure what he means by cyst.

Abscess is basically an infection. The area underneath the root of your tooth will be dark grey on the xray. I wouldn't be worrying about osteomyelitis just yet! However if it is an abscess you need antibiotics.

Emilycreaven999 Wed 25-Dec-13 22:41:30

The private dentist did the x ray that moved around, the NHS dentist doesn't have that facility.
I don't know if I ever had an abscess or not!
Root canal a month ago, pain and swelling Sunday before last and was on antibiotics the day after for an " abscess " which apparently now is " more likely " to a a cyst but isn't sure

LittleTulip Wed 25-Dec-13 22:36:43

What kind of xray did you have? Did the machine move around your face? Was it an OPG? How long have you had the abscess?

Emilycreaven999 Wed 25-Dec-13 22:34:11

Hi,
I've just lost my confidence in him a bit as he first diagnosed an abscess.
I couldn't see what he was referring to honestly on the X-ray, I had a private x ray done the day after at a private dental clinic and he didn't know what I was referring to although he was an absolutely horrendous " dentist " )
What would osteomylitis look like on an X-ray?

FanjoForTheMammaries Wed 25-Dec-13 22:18:27

If it looked like a cyst on X ray I assume it's unlikely to be osteomyelitis smile

Emilycreaven999 Wed 25-Dec-13 22:10:24

So it would be the same place for an abscess that needs ro be drained / a cyst / osteomylitis?
I am going out of my mind with worry and now the pain has started again its even worse as I can't take my mind off it for even a minute

Clobbered Wed 25-Dec-13 21:35:20

If he suspected osteomyelitis, oral surgeon would be the appropriate person to refer you to. Do try not to panic - at least your dentist is taking the problem seriously and not trying to fob you off. Osteomyelitis is pretty rare!

Emilycreaven999 Wed 25-Dec-13 21:30:59

Hi
I had a root canal down a month ago and ever since the whole area was slightly sore ( which I expected )
Last week I noticed the gum underneath and all along really ( bottom left ) was swollen and a little tender.
Went straight to the dentist who said abscess, antibiotics and come back in a week.
The swelling reduced and instead of being hard but soft if pushed, was now just hard, not so much a lump but a hard swelling probably just over a cm in length.
Went back to the dentist who this time did an X-ray and " thinks " it's a cyst.
He isn't sure and said its still possible it's an abscess that needs draining but is pretty sure it's a cyst of some sort and has put an urgent referral in to the hospital for me to be seen in 2 weeks as I was so worried and the pain has come back.
Terrified that it's something more serious and my brother had osteomylitis last year ( of the spine not related to dental treatment ) but After looking it up, the symptoms are quite similar.
Is this a possibility? Would I have been referred somewhere other than te dental oral surgeon dept if he suspected this? Help please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now