Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

In tears as want to cart myself off to a&e

(35 Posts)
justgirl Tue 24-Dec-13 21:04:03

I'm in so much pain :-( I've been suffering with severe headaches for the last week or two today however it has reach a whole new level. I am in hysterical tears and am unable to finish wrapping the kids presents and sorting the house. I don't know what to do :-(

Iworrymyselftosleep Wed 25-Dec-13 00:03:25

I had a blinding headache (migraine) once to the point I was sobbing with pain. Big row with nhs direct as I was crying (lady was very cross I wouldn't pull myself together. I honestly couldn't). Anyway went to A&E and was put in a nice quiet dark room, and given drugs every half hour til I felt better. I couldn't stand up properly after having so much pain relief so my mum had to half carry me to the car.

Please go to A&E. honestly. You need some proper attention. It may be serious, it may be a migraine. Out of hours doctor can't tell over the phone. But when you're that sick with a headache that you're crying even though you know it'll make it worse, you need some proper help.

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 25-Dec-13 01:17:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

differentnameforthis Wed 25-Dec-13 02:16:27

My god daughter has had similar symptoms. She has viral meningitis.

differentnameforthis Wed 25-Dec-13 02:18:11

here have been a few bouts f meningitis locally of late....is it contagious?

yes, but also the bacteria that causes can lie dormant in one person, but passed to another via a cough, or sneeze.

ThistletoeAndWine Wed 25-Dec-13 02:36:11

Are you ok op?

LittleNoona Wed 25-Dec-13 17:20:41

Just checking in to see how op is - hope lack of updates means you're much better and enjoying Christmas Day smile

justgirl Thu 26-Dec-13 00:00:48

Hello ladies....thank you so much for all of your advice and concern. I got to sleep in the end last night then got woken by the call out out of hours gp. He recommended I go to hospital but my local on had closed (?!?) so I would have had to go to whipps cross which is a bit of a trek for me and I didn't have the heart to drag the kids out with me so I said if try sleeping it off, pain was worse this morning and I couldn't even get up to go to the bathroom and then started vomiting - went to hosp at 9am and was told "hmm yeah...looks like a viral infection....take paracetamol and ibroprofen" well ta very much - like I hadn't tried that!! All of our local surgeries have form for going straight to the "viral" answer. However I'm starting to wonder if it was perhaps a bug as I have actually felt a lot better as the day goes on, still a bit rough, but a world away from where I was this morning - what a relief!!!! Thank you all so much again x

Iworrymyselftosleep Thu 26-Dec-13 01:48:54

Glad you're feeling better, was a little worried there.

MiniTheMinxLovesMinxPies Thu 26-Dec-13 11:15:46

Glad your feeling a bit better. If the headache gets worse again and you start vomiting I would go back to A&E, it can be signs of something other than viral infection. Wishing you well OP

AphraBane Thu 26-Dec-13 11:38:10

Hi justgirl, I'm a bit hesitant to mention this, but please promise me you won't worry about it too much. I'd like to back up what mimi said about going back to A+E if you vomit again immediately upon waking up. That, in combination with terrible headaches, would be a warning signal for neurologists to think about doing further investigations.

We're not in the UK (in a country with a higher per capita spending on healthcare, so doctors are not affected by financial constraints) and last summer DD1 was being investigated for bad chronic headaches, in combination with some vomiting in the evening. We were debating with the doctors whether to go ahead with a head CT or not (in terms of possible side effects) and ultimately decided against it, but the doctors took me to one side and muttered that if she ever vomited on an empty stomach in the morning, to take her straight in without hesitation and get the CT done. As it happens, the headaches were probably due to teenage stress and she's been a bit better since.

It's good that you're feeling better now, but please keep an eye on things and insist on being seen by a neurologist if your symptoms continue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now