Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

NHS Direct gahhhh

(4 Posts)
Rachelx92 Tue 24-Dec-13 08:44:35

So last night I was suffering with mild chest pains and chest tightening and when I coughed I had a stream of blood which only came out once and super paranoid me decided to phone NHS direct. All was well apart from me having to ask the guy to repeat everything because I couldn't understand him too well. Anyway when it came to my giving my postcode I said E for Echo and gave the rest. He then told me a doctor would call me within an hour, which they did. Butttttt the man I spoke to had misheard my postcode and typed in B instead so I got a call from a doctor in SUSSEX!! I live in north London so that wouldn't have been possible! This all went on between 9-10:30pm. By 11:30 I couldn't keep my eyes open so drifted off to sleep with the aid of night nurse. When I woke up an out of hours doctor had called me at 1am to see if I still needed help. He didn't leave a number but said to call 111 if I still needed assistance. The pain has gone away now my chest just feels a bit tingly when I cough and I've got a bit of mucus coming out. Do I phone NHS direct again and let them know I'm fine or just leave it? Sorry for the long post!

Try and get on to see your gp.

Rachelx92 Tue 24-Dec-13 09:11:31

Their phone line has been open since 8:30am today, 14 calls later I'm giving up all hope of being connected!

lougle Tue 24-Dec-13 09:20:06

Oooh no, the trick with GP surgeries is to phone, then when you get the engaged tone, you hang up and immediately hit redial. Eventually you get a gap in the calls and are connected.

When I need an emergency appointment, I start phoning 5 minutes before the phone lines open, hitting redial, then I catch the phones just as they open. Works every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now