Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Urgent! What works for chronic constipation to the point I simply can't go?

(302 Posts)
Pixiedust1973 Mon 23-Dec-13 22:30:01

Not been to the toilet for over a week now. Got to the stage where I cannot eat. Nothing is working I have tried exlax chocolate, suppositories, laxido (8 sachets) & dulcalax pico pearles plus lots of water. The out of hours GP prescribed the pico pearles last night & I took them about 10 1/2 hours ago as well as the max dose of laxiod again & suppositories. Supposed to work within 6 to 12 hours, still nothing.. What else can I try? I don't want to spend Christmas day on the toilet or unable to eat. sad

chocolatespiders Mon 23-Dec-13 22:31:00

Pomegranate juice or prune juice.

NatashaBee Mon 23-Dec-13 22:33:56

God, that sounds awful. <helpful>

TheCrackFox Mon 23-Dec-13 22:36:15

I think you should contact your GP again in the morning.

AppleSnow Mon 23-Dec-13 22:36:21

Fybogel works for me.

SwirlyWhirly Mon 23-Dec-13 22:38:13

I would get in touch with your gp tomorrow, that is a lot of poo medication to take with it having no effect!

Pixiedust1973 Mon 23-Dec-13 22:40:09

Couldn't get hold of any prune juice unfortunately. Fybogel tastes nice, but never did anything for me even with very mild constipation sadly. Need something to get rid of rather than bulk it out further right now anyway. Yes, TheCrackFox, ill most likely have to call the GP tomorrow & hope they can see me. Chances are they can't though..

Pixiedust1973 Mon 23-Dec-13 22:40:56

Yes, will do SwirlyWhilry. Its got silly now! sad

ilovemydoggy Mon 23-Dec-13 22:42:19

Have you tired drinking peppermint tea?

NotALondoner Mon 23-Dec-13 22:43:20

i don't suffer from constipation but chocolate in the morning always makes me rush to the loo.

Lurkymclurker Mon 23-Dec-13 22:43:48

Drink gallons of water, I found it really effective plus it made me relax a little more when going to the toilet as I was thinking it's only a wee which took some of the expectation out of going to the toilet as I find the pressure to go almost as stressful as not going.

Hope something works!

procrastinatingagain Mon 23-Dec-13 22:45:22

You might need an enema, needs to be prescribed though. Hope you get it sorted tomorrow.

Pixiedust1973 Mon 23-Dec-13 22:46:12

Don't have any peppermint tea to try. Have been drinking gallons of water though. Am sick of water.

defineme Mon 23-Dec-13 22:46:23

Extraordinarily strong coffee, you can get prune juice in the supermarket -they're all open. Dried fruit like apricots and figs and prunes.

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Mon 23-Dec-13 22:46:44

You poor thing - was going to suggest microlax emeama but it sounds lke you have already tried similar. The thing that worked for me when i was pregnant was fybogel as i found bulking up actually made it easier to go. You have my sympathy though - its horrible sad

Pixiedust1973 Mon 23-Dec-13 22:47:05

Yeah, I think it will come to that procrastinatingagain.. Hopefully can get one from the GP tomorrow.

Pancakeflipper Mon 23-Dec-13 22:47:55

I find going for a run gets me moving.

biffnbuster Mon 23-Dec-13 22:47:56

I have found lactulose to be helpful.

dietstartstmoz Mon 23-Dec-13 22:48:09

I was like this earlier in the year after having surgery. I was in agony after a week. The gp prescribed micralax - a liquid suppository you squirt into your bottom. It works within a few minutes. It was bloody marvellous stuff. Don't leave the gp without a prescription for it. You poor thing. It was awful.

Longdistance Mon 23-Dec-13 22:48:13

Movicol worked with me. I was bunged up for over a week before dd1 arrived, and a week after that. The doc gave me Movicol, and omg what a relief.

agnesf Mon 23-Dec-13 22:48:42

Movicol. It works for DC2 who had faecal impaction. She had to take loads and then had an explosive day.

You need a prescription

curlew Mon 23-Dec-13 22:50:04

After babies the only thing that worked for me was putting on a rubber glove and sort of helping it out- sorry, TMI. But worth a try...........?

BikeRunSki Mon 23-Dec-13 22:50:41

Guinness !!!!

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Mon 23-Dec-13 22:50:50

oh an yy to the coffee - and strangely, if you get time to pop to the bookshop or library for a browse tomorrow, that should shift things!

ilovemydoggy Mon 23-Dec-13 22:52:04

Loads and loads of fruit juice. orange and pineapple are the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now