Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have you ever broken a bone? If so, how did it happen?!

(58 Posts)
Nessalina Sun 22-Dec-13 22:58:35

Me & DH were chatting and realised that neither of us had ever suffered a broken bone, and it got me wondering if that was unusual...
Are all your bones intact, and if not, why not?! shock

ben5 Mon 23-Dec-13 14:10:01

I broke my toe when I kicked the running machinegrin!!

FeetUpUnitilChristmas Mon 23-Dec-13 14:33:23

Broke wrist aged 5 jumping down the last 3 stairs, didn't really hurt.
Brother broke my nose when I was about 14, finally had it fixed 30 years later

DD broke wrist snowboarding on her second day, nothing like the feeling if dread when the ski patrol called me to say she had had an accident and was being rescued from the mountain, can I meet them at the medical centre. We had to pay up front (Canada) before they would start treatment.

Following year I didn't go on the family ski trip (I'm medically unable to participate) got a call from DP on day 1, she'd only gone and done it again. Spent the rest of the holiday in the hotel suite whilst her dad and sister skied.

She will be going again this year but will be on skis, no more boards for her.

FeetUpUnitilChristmas Mon 23-Dec-13 14:35:28

Sorry to answer your original question Neither my sister or brother have broken a bone and both are late 30's

ConfusedDotty Wed 01-Jan-14 17:42:41

I managed to make it into my forties without any broken bones, but I am currently sat here with a shattered femur and knee cap. I now have a leg full of titanium and screws.

This happened in August and I am still not allowed to put any weight on that leg. I will have a future op sometime this month for bone grafts and then another 8 months recovery.

I fell down marble stairs (sober) whilst abroad. It ever so slightly ruined my holiday.

muchadoaboutsomething Wed 01-Jan-14 17:51:22

I broke a toe walking into a bookcase, a finger playing volleyball, and then my humerous when I fell off a bike into a fence. However my dh, sister , mum and dad have never broken anything. Breaking my arm was by far the most painful thing I've done much more painful than childbirth. Also made my realise just how ill gas and air makes me.

Polyethyl Wed 01-Jan-14 18:02:26

An American helicopter pilot decided to ignore the clearly marked helipad and land on the road outside my hut. He made his descent above my hut - the down draft off his rotor blades tore my door of its hinges and threw it through the air hitting me on the back. The projecting door handle broke my rib.
My comrades tested my level of responsiveness by waving Cadburys under my nose. For the next few weeks they took it in turns to perform personal comedy skits for me in order to make me laugh.
Laughing with a broken rib is shriekingly painful. They found this entertaining.

I've been run over three times confused broke my right collar bone (twice), both arms, both legs and fractured my skull. I also broke my arm falling off a potty as a child. And broke the same arm playing as an older child shock

Mumrose Wed 01-Jan-14 18:10:03

All my bones intact so far!! Touchwood smile
DH broke his leg a decade ago after falling from his motorcycle in India

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now