Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Erratic recovery from pneumonia - it's to be expected really

(8 Posts)
whenwillisleepagain Sun 22-Dec-13 14:16:02

Just under 3 weeks ago my GP got me blue lighted to hospital, turned out I had pneumonia but with septic shock, so I know it was all a bit of a close thing. I was in resuscitation for 6 hours while they tried various things and was transferred to ICU when I was stable, amazing care, after 2 days moved to a regular ward.

I feel like it's two steps forward, one back. Pain from pleurisy and pneumonia and night sweats suddenly and dramatically improved Fri - rejoiced at being more normal.Yesterday I felt shivery and weedy again, and broke out in hives all over my body.

Have been trying hard to heed all the advice on historic threads about really looking after myself - backdrop to all this was a weekend of almost zero sleep trying to get difficult mum with early stages dementia admitted to hospital and contend with 7 yr old DS's swimming birthday party, in midst of finishing work project. My other LO is 3.5. DH puts in the hours but is more cerebral than practical. Been pottering around the flat feeling ok, but of course v different now DCs have finished school / nursery. Mum came out of hospital Thurs, endless calls about her care package, but all neighbours of hers and ours being fab, so I feel like people are really trying to protect me and have been blown away by their kindness, but there are some things that only I as next of kin can really deal with, (don't have siblings).

So I feel like I am being reasonably sensible. Basically I'm going in the right direction aren't I, hives have gone within 24hrs, etc. I have been really positive until yesterday, now having 1st wobble, hence post

MyBachisworsethanmybite Sun 22-Dec-13 16:12:44

If this is your first wobble you're doing amazingly. I would have been imitating jelly for some time with that going on.

Do get as much rest as you can. You know it makes sense!

LonelyLinda Mon 23-Dec-13 20:12:56

as bad as it sounds I would cancel everything (or get dp to do it all) and concentrate on getting yourself better. It sounds like your immune system still needs to fully recover and only rest and being healthy will do that.

HAve some bed rest. Your health is a priority, as the mother of young children they need you more in the long term than short term. So even if it means cancelling a swimming party, your long term health is much more valuable.! xx

LonelyLinda Mon 23-Dec-13 20:14:47

Sorry - you've already had the swimming party, thought you still had to do it.

Are you going to someone else for Christmas? If you are doing it yourself then get dp to do it or just make it as easy as possible.

whenwillisleepagain Tue 24-Dec-13 20:06:02

Thanks all - linda I am a bit excessive, but even I draw the line at a swimming party with pneumonia twice in one month! I am being reasonably good about resting, could do better, but after this scary experience, I'm going to make my New Year's resolution about looking after me in 2014.

mercibucket Tue 24-Dec-13 20:26:03

have a nice relaxed xmas and new year. I am v grateful to be in good health this year after pneumonia last year. it takes a long time to fully recover. lots of rest!

whenwillisleepagain Thu 26-Dec-13 20:39:39

Thank you merci - really good to hear your positive story about getting back to good health. I ended up in A&E yesterday - the erratic recovery was explained - turned out I had a chest infection, but they were so thorough - the pneumonia is gone, I guess my immune system is going to be feeble for a while. I was on a drip for a couple of hours and then came home with stacks of ABs - feeling so much better today it's untrue - and DH has discovered that he can cook a roast dinner so from now on, going to leave to him.

mercibucket Fri 27-Dec-13 12:30:24

glad you are on the mend, poor you though! I have used inhalers for the past year and that has helped a lot. I get wheezy with just the mildest cold

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now