Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Solpadeine addiction - anyone else have this problem?

(36 Posts)
butterflyroom Sun 22-Dec-13 09:16:22

Hi,

I've been taking Solpadeine every day for 3 years now and feel very anxious of the long term effects its having on my body.

I know I need to stop taking them. I know the damaging effects they will be having. I don't go over the stated daily dose but obviously every day taking the blend of codeine and paracetamol is very very bad. They are extremely addictive.

I wondered if anyone is in the same position and wanted support to try and quit with me.

HoHolepew Sun 22-Dec-13 19:57:45

I remember a programme about OTC addiction, Solpadine is the no.1 pill to be addicted to.
Like the others have said cut down slowly. Drop one tablet for a few days then another etc.
Good luck, you can do it fsmile.

butterflyroom Sun 22-Dec-13 20:07:19

I've taken one less dose today (mid afternoon, easier when I'm busy) and when I went to the supermarket I didn't go to the pharmacy section. That's a big step. Going to try my very best to cut one to two doses down over Christmas. As other posters have suggested, I'm hesitant to go to the GP as I'm unsure how it will effect my records. Going to try by myself first.

Kaffiene Sun 22-Dec-13 20:09:07

Hi
I become addicted to codeine a couple of years ago after an accident. the worse part was actually just before I realised there was an issue. I was constantly worried about the pain coming back and would be fretting about my next dose in case the pain came back.

Once I realised it was the tablets making me anxious and twitchy it wasn't so bad. I was on prescription only strength so first I stitched to 1 prescription and 1 soledepine and stepped down slowly over 6 weeks from there. It wasn't so bad once I made a plan but definitely do it slowly as sudden withdrawal can be horrid.

Good luck!

LovelyMarchHare Sun 22-Dec-13 20:50:56

Well done Butterfly. Great start.

revivingsnowshower Sun 22-Dec-13 20:56:59

That's great keep going, don't rush it will work!

FruitbatAuntie Sun 22-Dec-13 21:18:00

I've been there too. Cutting down very slowly is definitely the easiest way to do it IMO - but you do have to be very disciplined about it as it's very easy to give in 'just this once' if you have a bad day, headache, etc.

If you aren't exceeding the recommended dosage each day, I would think it's unlikely that you have damaged your body/liver. Many people take paracetamol for many years with no problems as long as they don't take more than 2, 4x daily. The codeine also doesn't generally create huge long term damage other than constipation, and of course the withdrawal symtoms if you stop. Is there anything else in solphadeine?

The poster whose DH ended up with a perforated ulcer was, I suspect, taking codeine with ibuprofen (not paracetamol) such as Nurofen Plus? Ibuprofen will knacker your stomach big time if taken long term as happened to him.

I was taking a lot more than you are, and stopped in the end with the help of the local drugs team, referred by my GP. They helped me wean me off very very slowly which was brilliant for me. I was urine tested regularly so couldn't cheat, which is what I needed.

I would have no chance of ever getting opiated from my GP now, as has been said already. But when I had my DS2 I had a c-section, and they almost forced morphine on me despite me explaining exactly why I didn't want it! It was bizarre. It happened again when I was admitted this year with something - a Dr said, 'I'm just going to give you some pain relief' and almost had the syringe in my bloody arm before I could say I hope that isn't morphine cos I don't want it! Again I clearly told them my medical history on admission.

MrsFlorrick Mon 23-Dec-13 02:10:11

Butterfly. Well done for making a start. As others say, stick to your plan and don't be tempted to cut down too quickly. thanks

butterflyroom Mon 23-Dec-13 14:43:05

Thanks everyone! Once again I'm overwhelmed by those of you taking the time out to post detailed and helpful responses and those with general supportive comments. I'm taking all your advice and comment on board. I've cut out a dose today by making my mid morning and afternoon dose just one which I had earlier. Hopefully it now means I'm having 3 instead of 4 doses a day.

revivingsnowshower Mon 23-Dec-13 15:27:53

That's great butterfly stick with it. Don't cut back any more for the rest of the week. It is also a bit of a stressful time of year so take it easy, but as pp said dont cheat and go back up again if you have a bad day or headache. Does anyone know if the op can take a different medication if she really does have a headache? Maybe ibuprofen?

Musicaltheatremum Mon 23-Dec-13 16:06:06

If you're taking 8 a day I would recommend you cut knew tablet out a week. That would, in theory have you off them by the middle to end of February. I had a patient do this with tramadol and she gradually cut down. Even to getting a soluble tablet so she could dissolve it and take smaller volumes. Not looked at the codeine website mentioned above but will do as may be helpful

hollyisalovelyname Mon 23-Dec-13 18:22:13

My elderly mother is addicted, but in denial. She takes Solpadeine 'to sleep' - she gets up in the middle of the night to take them.
Her gp knows, but feels that because of her advanced age, if it makes her happy, let her have them.
The pharmacist however does warn her. It falls on deaf ears.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now