Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone had a reaction to MSG/been sick after eating it?

(23 Posts)
Pavlovthecat Mon 23-Dec-13 14:46:52

DH adds soy sauce to everything, I don't like it! Or friends fries from fast foot outlets, they remind me of Pringles, all stodgy and makes me feel sick! But I love Parmesan.

Artandco Mon 23-Dec-13 13:41:39

Other things are parmasan and soy sauce. Many French fries are high in MSG.

Pavlovthecat Mon 23-Dec-13 13:09:46

I hate mushrooms!!! They do actually make me feel sick, but I just thought that a as because they are gross! I see a theme... grin they have never made me sick! but that's because I have never eaten them enough to be sick!

BikeRunSki Mon 23-Dec-13 12:50:44

DH reacts badly to msg, refuses to eat Chinese food. Also hates mushrooms!

Snowbell Mon 23-Dec-13 12:48:15

I avoid MSG. It is evil stuff. It gives me a headache, palpitations, heart racing, sweating, swollen fingers and bloating. It doesn't make me feel sick though. But maybe you are reacting to it and your symptoms are different.

Artandco Mon 23-Dec-13 12:24:09

MSG is in mushrooms, do you feel ill after eating mushrooms?

Pavlovthecat Mon 23-Dec-13 09:21:57

confit I couldn't eat anything processed with either of my pregnancies! Chinese was definitely out, even takeaway which I have been ok with. Although tbh, I couldn't eat anything with ds! Near the end I could just about manage one boiled potato and a couple of mouthfuls of salmon, with absolutely no flavouring on it at all, as long as I had my anti sickness meds! I did however love the smell of dettol...

Pavlovthecat Mon 23-Dec-13 09:19:37

Research seems to be inconclusive about msg, which seems so strange as it seems so common! My sil cooks lovely Chinese food and I have never felt sick at all, or bloated, with her food. I am seeing her next week so I will ask her if she cooks with msg, will be interesting to know. She lives in USA so unfortunately can't take advantage of that very often!

I don't like Pringles as they always used to make me feel nauseous, I always thought it was just that they were processed junk! But maybe it's the msg! DH normally makes his own gravy so guess that's why that has never been tested.

We don't eat at Chinese restaurants very often, so will bear that in mind about asking for msg free in the future if we want to try it again. But tbh, I am right off it for now.

Confitdecanard Mon 23-Dec-13 07:31:32

Since I became pregnant I think I have been reacting to MSG. I had palpitations after some Pringles and also after a Chinese. I haven't eaten either since and have been fine. ECG was clear and the doctor mentioned MSG as a possible cause. It has never happened until this pregnancy.

Netguru Mon 23-Dec-13 07:24:38

My husband is very ill if he eats MSG. It is in a lot of foods like gravy and crisps.

Dancingqueen17 Mon 23-Dec-13 07:21:38

My sister is anaphylactic to MSG

Chinese food (I like the curries, which are loaded with MSG) makes me bloated, nauseous, and gives me a killer headache the next day. I think it's pretty common.

Some Chinese places will cook food MSG freeif you ask..our local takeaway does and it now means I can have a treat now and again and not feel ill.

clary Sun 22-Dec-13 00:29:45

Yes I always have a terrible reaction to food with MSG.

I can't eat stuff like Doritos and I used to avoid cheese and onion crisps but they don't have it in any more.

It just gives me tummy ache and horrible cramping. Best avoided IMO.

Preciousbane Sun 22-Dec-13 00:24:46

I have been ill eating food with MSG in and now ask for MSG free dishes. I find the worse the restaurant the more they use.

TheCrackFox Sun 22-Dec-13 00:23:53

I tend to avoid Chinese food (which is a shame because I love the taste) because it just makes me feel grotty and I have always put it down to the MSG.

HorsePetal Sun 22-Dec-13 00:16:04

My daughter has eaten Chinese food on 3 occasions now (resteraunt or takeaway) and on each occasion has been really sick afterwards.

It doesn't happen if we make it ourselves from scratch at home though

gallicgirl Sun 22-Dec-13 00:13:34

I nearly always feel grotty after chinese food. Very sluggish and a bit nauseous the next day.

susiedaisy Sun 22-Dec-13 00:13:11

Most Chinese food from our local takeaways will give me a cracking headache the following day.

GobbySadcase Sun 22-Dec-13 00:10:24

Sorry if tmi but with Chinese it's non stop farting followed by emergency dash to loo (bottom end).

Something I never got when x-SIL made me some yum home made Thai food.

Pavlovthecat Sat 21-Dec-13 23:54:34

it just seems so odd, it's so regular, not that we eat chinese that often at all, for this reason. I often just thought it was coincidence, but over the last year or two realised that me being sick seemed to coincide with eating out for chinese food. Not even like I pig out as I said, can't seem to eat much.

I never ever get sick from other take away. apart from once after a pizza, but that really was a dodgy pizza grin. Oh and indian twice, once was due to eating too much and drinking too much wine at the same time, the other was when pregnant and suffering from HG. So they don't count.

GobbySadcase Sat 21-Dec-13 23:50:34

MSG triggers my IBS so it's plausible

Pavlovthecat Sat 21-Dec-13 23:48:23

also, food bought from our chinese take-away never causes me to throw up, but sometimes I do feel sick afterward.

And food cooked by my chinese SIL never ever causes this. I don't know if she cooks with MSG, but her food doesn't taste like take way Chinese food either much nicer

Pavlovthecat Sat 21-Dec-13 23:46:15

Chinese food often makes me feel sick. which is a shame as I like some of it. Eating out in a buffet type restaurant tends to leave me actually being sick. I had put it down to poor quality food or maybe them sticking something in it to stop us eating so much, as despite my good apetite I can never eat much, and feel horribly sick, whether or not that follows through with expulsion of said food.

None of the family ever get sick or feel sick after this type of food.

Anyway went to a nice restaurant today, with a family friend who we haven't seen for a while. It was buffet style, but it was more 'upmarket' shall we say - the food was well cooked, tasted good, I could eat plenty. I didn't, as I had wanted room for mince pies later! DH and I even commented that it was good, and laughed at me not throwing up (a great marker for how good a restaurant is!).

I haven't felt well today, but it has been more tired, groggy, headachey, feeling like I haven't slept for ages, a little dizzy when I went out to shops, legs felt a little odd. Not sick. Went to bed feeling quite unwell, then felt sick, then new I was going to be properly sick, could feel it building, then wham! been upchucking since (about 1 hour). Food from lunch is there, undigested, full of acid (yuck), but it stayed down since 1-2pm normally it would come back up within a couple of hours. I am not through with the second journey either.

DH said he thinks it's probably MSG related? Again, family are fine so not cross-contamination, as DH has stomach like an ox, and so does DD but DS and I don't. Although I think I ate some different things to them...

I have googled MSG reactions and it seems a common idea, but not proven. what do you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now