Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is my dentist wrong? Abscess help please :(

(9 Posts)
Emilycreaven999 Thu 19-Dec-13 20:55:33

Hi all,
In the last 6 months I've had my 3 back teeth have quite a bit of work done on them under sedation, the most reason being a root canal treatment last week.
Tuesday morning I noticed my gum on that side was very swollen and a little tender and got an appt at the dentist.
Now he says it's a peridontal abscess and once the antibiotics have cleared it, IF the abscess doesn't re occur i don't need any further treatment however everywhere I've read says the antibiotics will only harbour the infection, not clear it.
I only have 2 days left of antibiotics and am going back Monday and haven't seen a massive difference in the size of it either sad
Can anyone help?

Emilycreaven999 Fri 20-Dec-13 11:13:44

Bump

Emilycreaven999 Sun 22-Dec-13 08:40:37

Anyone?

differentnameforthis Sun 22-Dec-13 08:44:00

Antibiotics do clear the infection, but once they are finished if you are not sure, see him again.

LonelyLinda Mon 23-Dec-13 20:08:58

I too have an abscess which has not been cleared by antibiotics. I had two lots of antibiotics and it is still there as a lump in my upper rear gum.

Dentist said there is not much he can do other than remove the tooth but it is a main useful for chewing tooth!! so it would be a shame to lose it! iykwim!

Don't know what else to do either!

Emilycreaven999 Mon 23-Dec-13 22:26:20

Been told today its a cyst sad

Slightlyneuroricnat Thu 02-Jan-14 22:05:31

This is my sisters login.
I do in fact have an abscess not a cyst after seeing an oral surgeon
The antibiotics ( week 3 now ) have had no effects at all

Bonzodoodah Thu 02-Jan-14 22:14:06

so what now? what did the surgeon says?

Slightlyneuroricnat Thu 02-Jan-14 22:39:49

To go back to my dentist and get him to investigate further into which tooth is causing it.
Which is brilliant as he clearly won't know as he diagnosed me with a cyst which it wasn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now