Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fudging Fanjos - Friendly Fred (support for general gynae problems)

(32 Posts)
shouldnthavesaid Thu 19-Dec-13 13:34:11

Hi smile

This is a bit experimental, and I hope it works.

I have suffered a lot of gynae problems over the years, and have struggled to find a friendly support network that isn't a) limited to hysterectomy, or b) limited to gynae cancer.

Admittedly there is the Vulval Pain Society however they are very academic in focus I find, and not so social!

So I thought we could maybe have a thread where we can chat, share experiences, and support each other through what can be unfortunately very embarrassing, and often isolating, conditions.

Thread is welcome to anyone with and not limited to - vulval skin disease (eczema, lichen sclerosis, vin, hydradentitis, vulval cysts), vulvodynia/vestibulodynia, vaginismus, fibroids, painful or heavy periods, PCOS, endo, cervical issues, chronic thrush, infections that just won't go, herpes, anatomical issues.. and any cause is fine, whether caused by childbirth or just there from birth, or anything really..

Em so a bit of biography on me;

I'm 22, I'm a university student studying literature and linguistics and live in Scotland.

I was born with unusually large labia (and I mean unusual). I also have labial/clitoral cysts, vulval eczema, contact dermatitis, allergies to soaps! perfumes various sanitary products etc, vaginisimus, vestibulodynia, problematic periods, chronic pelvic pain.. In 2011 I had a bilateral labiaplasty and partial hoodectomy. I had a mirena coil fitted under spinal in November, and have had several ultrasounds, a transvaginal scan, and 100+ examinations over the years. I'm on to my fifth gynae consultant, have recently started psychosexual counselling (which is about the most difficult thing I've ever started)..

So I hope this works (and not meant to offend, I knoow there are two long running gynae threads, but both seemed specific so thought I could start one that's a bitty specific to other issues if that makes sense, so I hope it's not causing an issue :-))

Will link this on my other thread that I started earlier, see if we can get a conversation going :-)

kazzawazzawoo Mon 27-Jan-14 21:29:46

Well, I had my appointment today. The gynae seemed very surprised that I refused a hysteroscopy. She did agree to let me try the mini pill for four months, which is a relief.

Leogrrl Thu 30-Jan-14 16:34:23

Hello,

May I join this thread? It seems like just the place I've been looking for.

I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the vulva in March 2013 at the age of 26. The process of getting my diagnosis was pretty long, taking about nine months, and although the treatment (surgery) was fairly straightforward the entire experience had a lot of repercussions on the way I feel about myself and my body, and on my relationship at the time. It's been hard to talk to others about how it has affected me, perhaps because it's not really an area of one's body that is easy to talk about anyway, let alone when there's something wrong there!

I have check-ups and ultrasound scans every three months so I keep experiencing periodic anxiety about my vulva, and also how it looks now post-surgery. Even though I know this makes me sound very vain!

Anyway, it would be lovely to chat more with people who have been through gynaecological problems. Finding RL support groups for my problem has not been possible so far unfortunately!

Looking forward to getting to know you all. smile

shouldnthavesaid Thu 30-Jan-14 18:16:29

Happy new year all - well, should we say happy February instead?

grin

Just checking in for now to bump this up to the top of my threads and will send proper replies as soon as smile

kazzawazzawoo Thu 30-Jan-14 20:37:40

Hello Leogrrl smile

Happy new year Shouldnthavesaid smile

SinisterBuggyMonth Thu 30-Jan-14 23:25:24

Hi all

I've been looking for a thread like this. Really I think there needs to be a whole gynae section!

I suffered from vestibulitus for many years. For ages it seemed like I was getting UTI every time I had sex. Took about 2 years to diagnose. It felt like someone was rubbing a sliced raw onion into my fanjo!

After trying loads of creams the only thing that worked to relieve it was vasiline applied throughout the day, and trying to maintain an active sexlife! After giving birth my symptoms have, touch wood, disappeared. I don't know why! Maybe things have moved around a bit downstairs. Apparently it's a very common but under diagnosed condition.

TiredMule Fri 31-Jan-14 11:44:10

Hi everyone! Can I join in please?! I have a small fibroid and suspected endo. I'm 31 and have 2 dcs. I had a laparoscopy last year, but they couldn't find anything. Gp is still certain that's what I have as it is so hard to diagnose even with a lap.
My pain is very bad from the day my period finishes, at it's worst I'm doubled over in tears. Periods are painful and have the occasional flooding.
I'm unsure how to go forward though as I'd love dc3 but dh isn't so keen! But I'm not keen to try the pill or other hormones for that reason and because pre dcs the pill turned me into a crazy lady, either very hormonal, depressed or migraines.

Stress seems to make my symptoms worse and we've had a very stressful couple of years and are also about to move house! I'm naively hoping that once I can reduce my stress things will get better.......

I'm so shocked by how many gynae probs there are and how common they are, it really is shit and unfair! I can't bear the thought of having another 20ish years of this hmm

kazzawazzawoo Fri 31-Jan-14 22:44:39

Hi Tired and Sinister smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now