Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

small amount of white mucus with poo. Normal?

(27 Posts)
hildaogden99 Mon 16-Dec-13 20:26:59

Firstly sorry for gross subject matter.....

Sometimes I've noticed a small, isolated blob of white mucous in the toilet after a bm. It's not much, probably no bigger than my finger nail, and is quite separate from the poo, not mixed in with it. The poo itself looks quite normal & definitely not mucusy. It doesn't happen all the time. Typically I'll see it for 2/3 days in a row then nothing for a week or more. Before today I'd not seen it for 3 weeks. I actually wondered if it might not even be from my bowel as I am prone to a lot of cm, especially when I have a bm. I also don't recall seeing it during my period. However, assuming it is from the bowel, should I be worried? I first noticed it about 6 months ago, I have no other symptoms & it hasn't got worse.

Thanks.

RunRunRuby Wed 18-Dec-13 09:07:46

hilda I had mild IBS type symptoms - intermittent diarrhoea, tummy cramps. Then occasionally blood when I wiped, which GP said was likely just piles. Suddenly cramps got worse and I had then I had the bloody mucus so I was sent for tests and they found it.

I will just say though, mine was caused by an undiagnosed genetic condition and is very rare so please don't worry that the same will happen to you! smile also 60 is around the 'normal' age to get bowel cancer so although it's worrying to have a family history, it's less likely to be a genetic predisposition than if your dad had had it earlier, but still a risk. I am very sorry about your dad flowers

If you notice any blood or other unusual symptoms go straight back to the GP and please make sure they do an examination if they think it's piles. It's not pleasant but better than a misdiagnosis!

hildaogden99 Wed 18-Dec-13 10:23:07

Thank you for your response. I don't have any other symptoms whatsoever - my bowels seem in good shape! As well as my dad, his aunt had it in her 70s and we think her brother might have had it in his 50s but noone knows much about him. The GP knows all that but said it's not a strong enough family history to warrant testing, especially as I have no symptoms. She said mucous was not a symptom she'd ever encountered in bowel cancer patients. I was told screening starts at 60 so I'd have to wait until then (I'm in my 40s). I do have private insurance so may pursue that as it does concern me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now