Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hysterectomies - it's gotta be done but over here for hand holding part two

(993 Posts)
Oddsocksrus Mon 09-Dec-13 22:57:05

Over here for the hand holding.
One in five women in the uk will have to have a hysterectomy at some point in their lives.
Come and join us if you are waiting, pre op, bleery eyed on the ward or recovering afterwards.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 17-Apr-14 19:35:52

Hi Jane and welcome to MN, though, as usual, it's rubbish that it's this thread that brought you here! Nice that you found the courage to post! I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers out there <waves> smile

My op was 4th April so I'm about the same stage as you. A week ago, I felt absolutely rubbish, but fast forward a week and I have been out at the coast today, walking round the shops in Whitby and then a stroll along the beach at Sandsend, and I feel that I am almost ready to jump behind the wheel (of the car; that isn't a metaphor for anything else grin ) Mind you I had mine done laparoscopically and kept my ovaries, so my wounds were minimal and I don't have the hormone stuff to deal with. Given how crap I felt last week, I'm surprised how back to normal I feel.

My main issues this week are pain when I need a poo and when I'm on the toilet, but I've read that the bowels can go a bit sluggish post op and take a while to get back to normal and I keep getting a stabby sort of pain right behind my tummy button.

I made an appointment to see the practice nurse on Tuesday as there is one stitch in one of my wounds that keeps catching and it looks a bit irritated. They are meant to be dissolving ones, but it might need snipping out. Though it'll probably be gone by Tuesday!

And after typing all of this, I've realised that this is the old thread....if you see my post before yours, there is a link to the new thread where you'll find us all smile

Jane777 Thu 17-Apr-14 16:34:37

Hi everyone. First time active on this site today although I've been reading for a few weeks now. I find this site and all of your comments and discussions really helpful. I had my total abdo hysterectomy on 7th April so I'm 1 week and 4 days post operation. They took the lot away! I went back to the hospital today because I was worried about my wound bleeding and weeping but all appears to be going to plan and nothing to worry about. I'm getting a tad frustrated because my head is back to normal but my body is far from it. Been trying to run before I can walk. Was told to slow down today ��

LackaDAISYcal Thu 27-Mar-14 13:29:13

NEW THREAD

I'm sort of in repair limbo at the minute flouncy, so I understand how you feel.

Climbing the walls here; wishing away the hours till tomorrow, though I didn't sleep at all well last night, I doubt tonight will be any better sad

flouncymcflouncerson Thu 27-Mar-14 00:39:37

I'm straddling two threads just now. This and the prolapse one. Bit of a nightmare at present as I've started having bowel issues and needing to do interesting things to help things along! Also have the period from hell just now which makes my prolapse bits feel horrendous sad sad

Have come to terms with the fact I'll have to have the hysterectomy but would really like my second opinion before I see original consultant again in April.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 26-Mar-14 22:49:21

oooh, we need a new thread soon!

LackaDAISYcal Wed 26-Mar-14 22:48:28

oh mary, that's horrible sad but yay for understanding colleagues and helpful children! what year do you teach?

Keep focussed on that date...

I think the reason my period was so hideous this time around is that my body knows it was probably the last one ever wink

marymoocow Wed 26-Mar-14 20:35:20

Will be thinking of you Daisy and notapizzaeater on Friday thanks .

marymoocow Wed 26-Mar-14 20:33:33

Had the worst day eversad . Cramping/flooding like never before. Not ideal with a class of 31! Thank goodness for lovely, understanding colleagues ( and children who love being mini teachers so I didn't have to leave my chair for a few minutes).

LackaDAISYcal Wed 26-Mar-14 16:52:45

and hi notapizzaeater! that is some size shock

LackaDAISYcal Wed 26-Mar-14 16:51:32

basket, it sounds like you are doing OK!

LackaDAISYcal Wed 26-Mar-14 16:50:58

thanks she smile

Only two more sleeps...

Basketofchocolate Wed 26-Mar-14 11:15:39

Have just completed my three whole weeks post op.

So far, can function most normally around the house - certainly enough now to get frustrated at what I can't do.

If I do most normal things in the day, then come evening am usually sitting tight and not picking a single thing up.

Need to up the walking every day as need to think about school run (walking) next Monday.

shewhowines Wed 26-Mar-14 08:58:46

Just popping on to say I'm still keeping an eye on you all and wishing you all well.

Lack thanks hope Friday isn't too traumatic.

gingeme Wed 26-Mar-14 08:33:01

Welcome notapizzaeater. Your in the right place here. The lovely ladies have really put my mind at rest. Good luck Friday x
Dopamax yikes shock

dopamax Tue 25-Mar-14 22:08:29

well 1 week to go, plan to lose 1 stone....out of the window, give up smoking well cut it in half, cook freezer full of yum home cooked meals....moving on......
Scared oh yes!
Staying in 2 nights now not one due to my epilepsy and coming home alone yikes ....

notapizzaeater Tue 25-Mar-14 18:03:06

Might be joining you all soon, seeing gyni doctor privately on Friday. I have become really anaemic really quickly, my gp sent me for a scan to check everything. I have silent gallstones (whole other doctor now) but I have fibroids, cysts and a growth 11x10x3cm in my bits...... Will find out options on Friday but he thinks it's got to come out.

gingeme Tue 25-Mar-14 17:03:46

Oops sorry x post blush

gingeme Tue 25-Mar-14 17:03:00

Daisy how did it go? Did you manage to Keep your snot to yourself?

LackaDAISYcal Tue 25-Mar-14 15:40:13

Yup, managed to avoid sneezing for the duration! But they arsed up the canula for the contrast so I have a lovely bruise and swollen arm to show for it. On to the next appointment on Friday. Thankfully not too long to wait for the results, and I assume I will have a date for the op.

flouncymcflouncerson Tue 25-Mar-14 11:29:18

daisy hope the scan went well. CTs are normally pretty quick so you should have been OK!

MrsBigD Tue 25-Mar-14 10:11:28

LackaDaisycal - hope the CT went ok without sneezing fits smile

gingeme... that sounds like an excellent plan! My op date is 2/5 so I've got a month to get semi prepped with upper body strength and core work. Saying that when I do intense abs training it hurts as well... so gently does it I guess, but that's so not me

gingeme Tue 25-Mar-14 09:11:28

As soon as I have my date for my op I shall make an appt with my chiropractor. She said she will show me some core muscle exercises. My upper body strength is rubbish !! Going on a cutting out crap diet starting April 1st too. For myself as well as to help my recovery .

LackaDAISYcal Mon 24-Mar-14 09:57:05

grabbers are a good idea though; there is a mobility shop just down the road from me; I need to pay them a visit.

And just realised the school holidays are just round the corner...ah well at least I'll have lots of helpers if my op is in the next two weeks as they said it would be...but bang goes my quiet days recovering while the kids are at school <sigh>

LackaDAISYcal Mon 24-Mar-14 09:52:12

I do quite a physical job, using my upper arms a lot; so I'm hoping that will stand me in good stead Kevin. My core muscles are a bit rubbish though.

CT scan tomorrow...bricking it somewhat. I've got a stinker of a cold as well and worried about sneezing and not being able to stay still!

Kevinsbowel Sun 23-Mar-14 18:39:09

For those with enough time... It is worth doing a few exercises to get good upper body strength. If you can do exercises with 6 to 8 kg say on one arm, that's really useful for picking stuff up, opening doors etc without needing to use your core muscles at all, just with your arm muscles. Same with heaving myself upright off the bed next morning after the operation- the physio said I was lucky to have good upper body strength. Apparently women tend to exercise their bums and thighs but not their arms.

Also I found my squats useful, because I had too trouble picking stuff up withut bending my back or my torso, I just go down by bending my knees, back straight, like a curtsey. Or a gym squat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now