Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hysterectomies - it's gotta be done but over here for hand holding part two

(993 Posts)
Oddsocksrus Mon 09-Dec-13 22:57:05

Over here for the hand holding.
One in five women in the uk will have to have a hysterectomy at some point in their lives.
Come and join us if you are waiting, pre op, bleery eyed on the ward or recovering afterwards.

Kevinsbowel Tue 10-Dec-13 18:07:36

Not driving yet but we don't have a car so driving is for massive journeys where we hire one. I think I cold do a short drive.

More importantly, how long did people wait before drinking alcohol?

CremolaFirCone Tue 10-Dec-13 18:36:07

My pshyco grin said driving after 4-6 weeks. The difficulty if achieving a comfortable emergency stop without hurting. If you can't don't drive. My insurance company would only insure me after 8 weeks so do check your policy.
Personally pulling up the handbrake was hard enough after 9 weeks. Still don't like it much- stretchy feeling sometimes sore.

Santaspelvicfloor Tue 10-Dec-13 18:51:05

Day 3 or 4 Kevin Didn't want to mix it with the anaesthetic so I waited wink

Kevinsbowel Tue 10-Dec-13 20:16:09

Oh ok, so I ought to be Ok by now....

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Tue 10-Dec-13 20:45:34

Found you all!

Sorry haven't been around for a few days. I'm tons better and making up for lost time with stuff I've been wanting to do around the house ready for DS1 coming home from uni and Christmas stuff generally.

It was genuinely lovely to be able to dash about and move like I used to. I'm staying off the heavy lifting though. The whole experience has made me determined to work on my fitness and flexibility when I'm fully better, on the grounds of 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone' grin

Re the pelvic floor. Mine's in the best shape it's been post DC. In the past I tried the itens probe and the Aquaflex cones. I was never sure I had them in the right place. I've been doing GussieGrips set of pelvic floors since the op and I think they've made a huge difference.

Oddsocksrus Tue 10-Dec-13 20:47:26

Hallo, I'm back in the happy land of tramadol, volterol and big fat codeines... With horse pill sized anti b's (I did check which end they went as they are about the same size as the glycerin pre op articles of torture)

I have been very fortunate in luffly stuff being brought by some really lovely visitors, I had a poinsettia and a tin of chocolate biscuit from the WI (I share the secretaries job with my neighbour), two lots of flowers and one lot of chocs that lasted all of 30 minutes fgrin

I likes the chocolate talk, I think I am some time away from inserting anything ever again in my poor lady parts

thekingfisher Tue 10-Dec-13 20:54:46

Poor you Odds have you a lot of pain. ?

Santaspelvicfloor Tue 10-Dec-13 20:58:37

You poor thing. I really hope the drugs do their stuff soon for you.

thekingfisher Tue 10-Dec-13 21:01:01

Just another thing I have started to get some really big lumps under my wound dr Google suggests this is fine and is just part of healing process and new tissue developing ... There's no heat or itching so pretty sure it's not infection has anyone else had this?

Santaspelvicfloor Tue 10-Dec-13 21:13:24

My sector. Scar healed as if small marbles had been sewn through. It took 12mths to remodel to a neat flat scar

Beastofburden Tue 10-Dec-13 21:25:28

Poor odds sad

Santaspelvicfloor Tue 10-Dec-13 22:43:17

My section that should have read

spudmama Wed 11-Dec-13 08:13:52

So this is where you are are, been gone for a couple of days to find name changes and pelvic floor competitions all going on

Going back to the other thread to investigate which contraption looks the most fun will do the job best.

Will be back later.

As for driving i left it until about 5 weeks just didn't feel the need before this, it also just happened to payday week grin

greenfolder Wed 11-Dec-13 09:32:37

Morning-so 2 weeks today post op-feel better and worse all at the same time! Weight is coming off and belly slightly less bloated.
Is anyone taking iron? I was measured at 9 point something post op-which is good for me but then I realised this is the first time in adult life I won't be gushing pints of the stuff per fanjo every 3 weeks. What should it be? 12 or 13? Should I crack into the spatone?

Kevinsbowel Wed 11-Dec-13 11:00:44

Hello green <waves>

9 is a bit rubbish, you want to be around 12 to 14. I was taking iron before but I got extra blood in theatre as i was so anaemic, and having gone up to 13.6 I can tell you it feels fabulous. I would be cracking open the iron and orange juice combo if I were you.

Santaspelvicfloor Wed 11-Dec-13 11:18:57

No idea what my Hb is so it must be ok. It must be fabulous for those of you that suffered horrendous periods to have them removed from your lives.

I'd have opted for this years ago if I'd suffered those

Kevinsbowel Wed 11-Dec-13 12:14:08

I can't tell you how lovely. I had to plan holidays around them... Then the buggers always moved anyway.

Waitingaround Wed 11-Dec-13 16:39:42

odds I have no intention of shoving anything up my ahem until I'm at least 12 weeks post op which is when relations with DH are allowed by consultant. But am keen to strengthen the old floor though as it feels slightly unstable, especially now I'm back at work and seem to be on my feet all the time. Not leaking but feel odd if you know what I mean?

CremolaFirCone Wed 11-Dec-13 16:58:25

With my tendency towards infection I'll not be going anywhere near my hoo hoo either waiting. Sorry you're on your own testersgrin
I have cleaned the living room like a maniac. Even done the old skirtings and made space for A Tree. Moved all the electric cables around to save any faffing when we put it up . Feel SO SATISFIED!! The house was filthy ! I have even polished the two silver picture frames we got as a wedding present. [smug]
I feel terrific. I'm only telling you this as a way of saying - you will be better soon- you really will!
Re the anaemia .: I hovered around 5/6 for years and took iron and spatone. This is the first time in 20 years I haven't felt that I'm dragging a rock behind me permanently. Low iron makes you feel dire. No one tells you that though., do they?
My hg is now normal range . Huge difference to quality of life.
I have had the house to myself today and honestly if I could just have that for Xmas is be pleased:0/

Waitingaround Wed 11-Dec-13 17:29:23

Ok crem now feel guilty about pig sty house- so will haul my ass out of the bath and Hoover smile

Kevinsbowel Wed 11-Dec-13 17:36:58

Ladies, ladies, what is this loose talk of housework?

We are ill. I can assure you that if our DP had had similar items removed in a comparable process we would not be coming home from work to a freshly scrubbed home, oh no.

Housework needs to be limited to the necessary processes to discover where you left the chocolate.

I am so enjoying having the house to myself all day until DC appear from school/college. I am going to find it extremely difficult to get back to work, after this blissful interlude.

<wonders if occupational health would allow me to take a blow-up bed and a pile of detective fiction to work for my lunch break>

CremolaFirCone Wed 11-Dec-13 17:47:31

Well FGS don't be cleaning til you're ready!! I was ready - not meaning to guilt anyone - please please don't be doing anything unnessesaire!
I am way ahead of you at 11 weeks don't forgetsmile

Kevinsbowel Wed 11-Dec-13 18:06:58

Not trying to make you feel bad, crem, it is good to hear from the other side! I was just being silly....

Waitingaround Wed 11-Dec-13 18:10:56

It's alright crem I'm a bit OCD about the Hoover and it's a dyson. My house is now all fresh again smile * kevin* I'm 8 1/2 weeks so allowed to clean, certainly wasn't at your stage.
I also didn't think I wanted to go back to work and did mention to the family that I could remain at home if they wanted (they didn't hmm) however now I'm back, am actually quite enjoying it (won't last though).

greenfolder Wed 11-Dec-13 18:28:11

Full steam ahead with the spa tone then-am allergic to all citrus fruit so can't do the orange juice and for some reason vitamin c tabs are always orange flavoured!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now