Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast clinic referral - okay to go alone?

(16 Posts)
mintymellons Fri 06-Dec-13 10:42:57

I have a referral for a lump. Going next week. Thing is, I don't have anyone to take with me (or rather, I'd prefer at this stage not to make it common knowledge!). I need DP to look after DD2 and collect DD1 from school so him coming with me isn't an option.

I'm quite happy to go alone. I'm not one for taking people along to things usually. I understand that if it's bad news (which I've no reason to think it will be), then it would be beneficial to have someone with me. What have others done?

reallyreallyworried Fri 06-Dec-13 11:07:29

Hi minty I went alone to my initial appointment at the breast screening unit, and I was comfortable with that. At that point no one could say or do anything to help. I had mammogram, ultra sound and biopsy. Then had to go back at the end of the week for results. The Surgeon I saw said to me as I was leaving that it's sometimes nice to have someone with you when you come back for results. So my mum came up, I think part of me wanted her there not for support but so that IF it was bad news, I wouldn't then have to tell her! I suppose that was a bigger fear for me! It was bad news for me, and I'm currently going through treatment. But lots of ladies go through the breast screening clinic and are fine! I would ask if you are going to get any results on that day, IF not I would say going alone is okay. If your happy with that. For me it gave me time to think, without someone there making small talk.

Good luck, hopefully you'll be back to report it's all clear. If not just remember it's not the end of the world, they can do so much these days. Xxx

mintymellons Fri 06-Dec-13 11:11:40

Hi Reallyreally.

Thanks for posting. That's good advice. The GP described the clinic as a 'one stop shop' and to expect to be there around three to four hours, so don't know if that means I would get results there and then or not.

I saw your posts on the Tamoxigang thread. So sorry your news wasn't good. My mind keeps going to 'that place' and I can't imagine what a shock it must be.

I think I will go alone as planned.

Hamsolo Fri 06-Dec-13 11:20:01

I went alone to mine. It was fine. It was also a one-stop-shop, so I had an initial consultant with a doctor and a trainee, who both had a feel, then sent for a scan, then back to the consultant for the verdict. Mine was just a fluid filled cyst, so that was that for me. I think they could have sent me for further tests that day otherwise.

I think you'll know whether you're someone who can do it alone or not.

Hope you get good news.

mrsdoubtmom Fri 06-Dec-13 11:25:06

i went alone and I was fine. I was well prepared. I know with technological advancements, these are there are so much they could do. The key is to be diagonised earlier. As Hamsolo mentioned, I first met up with a consultant and doctor and then sent for scan and a confirmation again. Wish you all the best and hope it is all okay.

Delatron Fri 06-Dec-13 11:37:19

I went alone, however I was totally unprepared and assumed all would be fine. It wasn't (but most breast lumps are benign,). I remember crying on the tube all the way home and really wishing I had taken someone with me.

However, 3 years later I am through treatment and fine. It was horrible to go through that initial shock alone though then have to get home. The chances are it will be fine and you know what kind of person you are and whether you'll need someone with you or not. Good luck!

mintymellons Fri 06-Dec-13 11:43:10

Thank you for all of your advice.

Delatron, sorry yours wasn't good news. How awful. Great that you're through it now though.

DorisShutt Fri 06-Dec-13 11:51:14

I went alone to mine as there was no one other than DH to look after DS.

I had a mammogram, an ultrasound and then a biopsy one after the other in the space of about 3-4 hours; I needed a very engrossing book to calm me a bit, and a bottle of water as the hospital is very warm.

My results were fine, I just have fibrous boobs which developed after having DS and breast feeding - apparently this is quite common.

The only thing I would say is that a biopsy is not the most comfortable of procedures, so I would suggest not driving after it - get someone to either pick you up, or use public transport; it was the seatbeat that really made me uncomfortable.

Fingers crossed for you. thanks

LittleMouseontheDairy Fri 06-Dec-13 12:41:43

DorisShutt - can I ask which book you read? grin

Glad all was well for you.

LittleMouseontheDairy Fri 06-Dec-13 15:24:40

Ps I'm sorry if my previous post made it seem as if I was making light of an experience that can be nerve-wracking and upsetting for people. I'm going to have one of these appointments myself next week and I was genuinely curious about a book recommendation that will be distracting over a fairly long waiting period.
Just wanted to clarify that in case it came across badly.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 06-Dec-13 15:26:44

Minty it is absolutely fine to go alone. As a single parent I had to go through entire process including excision of the mass alone across a 6 month period. My breast cancer care nurse was fab and did the hand holding for the fine needle aspirates and core biopsies. I don't know who was happier on the day I got the excision is curative results me or my nurse. My consultant was fab was holding down a full time job running my own business he fitted my appointments into bizarre times - I had my core biopsy in my lunch hour!
Don't wear any deodorant on the day your go to clinic as you will just have to wipe it off for the mammogram.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 06-Dec-13 15:28:27

Oh yes I drove fine after the aspirates and the core biopsies they were sore (well core biopsy hurt like fuck), but I was still fine to drive. But core biopsies are a long way down a road that you are hopefully not travelling.

mintymellons Fri 06-Dec-13 16:48:15

Lone you sound very brave and great that you came through it. Thanks for the advice. I will go alone. It would stress me more to take someone with me!

DorisShutt Fri 06-Dec-13 17:12:59

If memory serves, I was reading a Rick Riordan book... The series is marketed as being for teens blush but is about Greek myths and legends which I love so was just at the right level for that sort of day - easy to read, but interesting and reasonably well written.

LadyMacbethWasMisunderstood Fri 06-Dec-13 19:33:18

I went alone very recently. DH could have come. I just preferred it that way. I took my kindle but was pretty much busy all the time - one doctor,mammogram, ultrasound, consultant. Then good news and home.

I did get DH to drop off and pick up though as I did not much feel like driving.

Good luck.

CharlieM02 Thu 28-Jan-16 22:27:26

Hi I recently had a similar experience and I wrote a blog post explaining the whole process from finding my dreaded lump and getting it removed! I hope this helps.. skyfullofstarsuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now