Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

I have noro virus.

(14 Posts)
ToffeeWhirl Sat 30-Nov-13 20:52:56

Aww, you poor thing. I'm sure he was far too worried about you to worry about what you looked like!

HootShoot Sat 30-Nov-13 20:39:34

It sounds stupid doesn't it - there were more important things to worry about, but it just seemed so undignified at the time! He had already been so great cleaning up after me all evening, I was just desperately trying to cling to my last shred of dignity confused

ToffeeWhirl Sat 30-Nov-13 20:28:44

Hoot - why would you care if your DH found you with your knickers round your ankles? Presumably he has seen you in a state of undress before? confused. Or were you worried about him finding you collapsed on the floor?

HootShoot Sat 30-Nov-13 20:01:18

Just a bumpy one! I think the most horrific things was (tmi alert) I had been sitting on the loo having diarrhea and being sick into a bowl simultaneously when I got that horrible whooshing noise and sparkles at the edge of your view that you have when you are about to faint. I managed to ditch the bowl but literally fainted on the loo, face planting straight forward off the loo onto the floor. I came round to my husband trying to break the door down as he had just heard a huge crash. The panic I felt at the thought of him bursting into the bathroom to find me crashed out with my knickers around my ankles was just awful! Fortunately I was able to call out to him to give me a minute before he broke in blush I'm still amazed they didn't get it!

Anyway I'm glad to hear you are better fluffy and hope you are fully recovered soon.

ToffeeWhirl Sat 30-Nov-13 19:47:45

Hoot - that sounds absolutely dreadful. You poor thing! (Did you get a new nose afterwards? wink).

HootShoot Sat 30-Nov-13 19:45:00

Toffee thats lovely!

I was really really ill for about 8 hours, I ended up fainting whilst vomiting and breaking my nose. We thought it was food poisoning at the time as my husband and baby were fine and I was bf her. Because of the fainting nhs direct advised me to go to a & e where I fainted again in the loo ther. My blood tests showed it was a virus rather than food poisoning. It really was hideous! By the time I got home from hospital I had stopped being sick and was just exhausted for two days.

ToffeeWhirl Sat 30-Nov-13 19:42:00

He can be really mean to his little brother sometimes, but he was a treasure that evening. And it was lovely to see how safe his little brother felt with him.

Hope you are over the worst now. As Pacific says, you'll feel weak for a while after and need to take it easy, if you can.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 30-Nov-13 19:37:14

That's so sweet.

ToffeeWhirl Sat 30-Nov-13 19:29:55

It was the one time we couldn't care for them! My DS2 (6 then) went down with it first and I was fine and could look after him. He then got better, but DH and I came down with it. As we were both stuck in the bathroom, we were unable to look after him. So, for the first time ever, we asked his big brother (then 12) to take over. He was fabulous. He took care of him all evening and, when I staggered downstairs to put a pizza in the oven for them, I found them sitting happily, watching telly and munching on crisps and chocolate bars!

"It's ok, we've had dinner," DS1 said cheerily.

He then put his little brother to bed fully clothed, but sat with him until he fell asleep so he wasn't scared.

In the early hours of the next morning, I found him being ill in the bathroom himself, but by then I was over the worst and could take care of him.

smile

Oh, horrible.

Lasts 24-48 hrs but may leave you feeling weak as a kitten for a bit longer.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 30-Nov-13 17:40:57

Well nothing for 12 hours now.

I don't know how any of you do this with kids to care for as well.

ToffeeWhirl Sat 30-Nov-13 13:53:24

Oh, misery! You poor thing. My family had it - DS2 first, quickly followed by DH and me (started within an hour of each other) and then DS1. The worst of it lasted about 12 hours, but we were all feeling dreadful for more like 24 - 48 hours. It's so horrible.

Hope it passes as quickly as possible.

Theoldhag Sat 30-Nov-13 13:47:09

Poor you! Try to fast for 24 hours, drinking little sips of water to keep hydration up. Once you have stopped vomiting then try to have a glass of water every hour. After fasting keep to easy food such as banana, rice, apple and toast for another 24 hours.

Sipping ginger tea may ease any crampy pains.

Rest as much as you can and hope that you feel better soon.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 30-Nov-13 11:13:12

How long till it goes? I've been awake since midnight with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now