Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cramps and bleeding in between periods - should I be worried?

(18 Posts)
marceline Wed 20-Nov-13 19:07:51

I had a normal period a couple of weeks ago. Over the weekend I started getting period like aches in my lower abdomen, then yesterday I started bleeding. Not heavy but has not stopped and the cramps, though not severe have been there almost constantly. This hasn't happened to me before as far as I can remember so I'm freaked out and booked an appointment with the GP tomorrow morning.
Anyone have that happen before?

HettiePetal Wed 20-Nov-13 21:03:32

How old are you, marceline?

Are you in the perimenopause range?

marceline Wed 20-Nov-13 21:05:09

I hope not, I'm 36!

Any chance you could be pregnant? I get implantation pain and last dc bleeding with it.

HettiePetal Wed 20-Nov-13 21:11:41

Perimenopause can last for 15 years and typically begins around 35.

So this could be normal.

But it's good that you're seeing the GP. Hopefully he can put your mind to rest.

marceline Wed 20-Nov-13 21:38:48

Really, Hettie, I did not realise that. I guess anything menopausal sounds still far to early, but maybe it's not.hmm

I don't really see how I could be pregnant it's been less than two weeks since my last period...that wouldn't make sense at all. I suppose it's worth checking.

It feels just like a particularly unpleasant period with really persistent cramps that sort of radiate through my legs.

No I mean when the egg first implants itself into the uterine wall. I got it both times between cycles. Would be too early to test just wondering if it may be a possibility although if it's less than two weeks from your last period probably not.

HettiePetal Wed 20-Nov-13 21:53:37

No - perimenopause is just the years leading up to menopause, and there's lots of them! Some women don't notice any difference, others start noticing that their periods are changing.

The leg thing - I have always, always had period pains in my thighs (also felt my labour there!). It's something to do with the same nerve cluster - can't remember exactly. But that's not necessarily anything sinister.

This could just be a "blip" period - happens to nearly everyone at some point.

That's interesting Hettie and quite scary as I approach 35 in a mere couple of months. Yep I also get thigh pain with periods and crippling ovulation pains.

Good luck with the doctors tomorrow Marceline.

scaevola Wed 20-Nov-13 22:09:41

One common cause of mid-cycle (and post intercourse) bleeding is cervical polyps - which are almost invariably benign and painless to remove.

marceline Wed 20-Nov-13 22:32:23

Yes thank you all for the reassurance . I'll try not to worry too much!

LaFlotte Wed 20-Nov-13 22:39:36

I had this a few cycles in a row but always at the same time. Was put down to hormone imbalance after a few tests.

Could be hormones, polyps, strange early period or an infection. Don't jump to any sinister conclusions there are loads of simple reasons for this.

Hope your Doctor puts your mind at rest.

LaFlotte Wed 20-Nov-13 22:39:47

I had this a few cycles in a row but always at the same time. Was put down to hormone imbalance after a few tests.

Could be hormones, polyps, strange early period or an infection. Don't jump to any sinister conclusions there are loads of simple reasons for this.

Hope your Doctor puts your mind at rest.

MaisyMoo123 Wed 20-Nov-13 22:59:48

I'm experiencing something very similar and it's worrying me too. I've had an ovarian cyst before and it feels similar to that. Cramps, particularly in one side of lower abdomen and spotting mid-cycle. I'm also getting terrible mood swings which are just hideous. I don't know whether I have an ovarian cyst that's knocked my hormones out of kilter, whether my hormones are just out of kilter anyway or whether I'm just peri menopausal (I'm 38). Think I need to go to GP too as I'm definitely feeling that something isn't right. You have my sympathies!!

marceline Thu 21-Nov-13 16:27:49

Thank you Maisy. I saw the GP today and she told me this is not at all uncommon and my symptoms don't sound particularly concerning. She did book me in for a couple of tests - a smear and an ultrasound just to make sure - that should be fun!
Not feeling any better about the whole thing yet as the symptoms are not going away. Still bleeding lightly and cramps have been constant and quite unpleasant today.

MaisyMoo123 Thu 21-Nov-13 21:18:56

Pleased you got to see GP marceline - and that they were reassuring. It doesn't always help when there's not a definite reason for why things aren't right though does it? Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for tests and they will put your mind at rest. I've had quite a few ultrasounds in the past due to ovarian cyst - they're not too bad. I'm still experiencing similar symptoms too. Lots of cramps and odd bits of spotting rather than bleeding. I'm sure I need to wee more than normal too !? Try not to worry and keep me posted on how things are going.

marceline Fri 22-Nov-13 09:16:14

Was your ovarian cyst removed Maisy? Have your symptoms reappeared recently? My GP said that sometimes periods just go crazy and there's no discernible underlying reason.

MaisyMoo123 Sun 24-Nov-13 18:32:08

No, cyst resolved itself Marceline. I was due to have it removed but pre-op scan revealed it had gone of its own accord. They were surprised as had been fairly large and was there for about 9 months. The symptoms I have at the mo are suspiciously familiar but I can't be sure that I'm not thinking it might be that so imagining them to match how that felt iyswim? How's things with you? Any better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now