Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mefenamic Acid

(25 Posts)
shamble Wed 20-Nov-13 14:19:38

Has anyone got any experience taking this for very heavy periods? I was prescribed this instead of tranexamic (sp) because I'm still bf. My periods are unmanageably heavy and I'm desperate, but wanting to try other options before hormonal ones.

It's making me feel drowsy with occasionally slurred speech (which can be a bit embarrassing at work), not helped by the fact that I'm getting v little sleep at the moment with my 13m old.

So I'm after any indication that it might work to reduce the blood flow! Anyone?

fedupandtired Wed 20-Nov-13 15:57:48

I haven't taken it but I started taking ibuprofen primarily to treat heavy periods a few months ago and it's literally transformed by life. At its very worse I had to change a tampon after only 20 mins although it was usually up to an hour. Now it's a couple of hours. The advantage to ibuprofen is it's really cheap and helps with period pains too.

eurochick Wed 20-Nov-13 15:59:28

I took it for period pains. I don't recall it making any difference to the quantity. In fact I didn't even know it was prescribed for heavy periods until I read it on here after more than a decade of taking it monthly. I tend to get every side effect listed on the packet with most drugs but got nothing at all from that.

fieldfare Wed 20-Nov-13 16:04:32

Slowed mine down a bit but just made them last longer, didn't do much for the pain tbh.
Had an allergic reaction to transexamic acid and ended up in a&e.

Now just use cocodamol on the really bad days, along with ibuprofen and drink 2-3 cups of herbal tea with clary sage in. I've made a clary sage oil to rub into my tummy when the cramps are at their worst, that combined with the tea helps a lot, although the tea tastes awful it seems to work.

Crownjewel Wed 20-Nov-13 17:04:49

I was prescribed it for about 12mths but found it made little difference, it did make me feel awfully foggy and nauseous though... Still, everyone's different, and it may well start to work for you after a few periods. I hope so anyway thanks x

Damnautocorrect Wed 20-Nov-13 17:10:59

I've been prescribed it, it's amazing for migraines. But yes makes me sleepy, slurred speech and generally a bit 'off my tits' but on the whole it's better than the alternative

shamble Wed 20-Nov-13 17:35:13

thanks for these replies. seems it's a very individual thing as to whether or not it works. interesting that ibuprofen works too.

I'm feeling so dopey and rubbish today. bleeding doesn't seem much better. still having to change biggest tampon every hour, including at night. is it supposed to work immediately? at the moment it doesn't seem worth the brain fog.

HHH3 Wed 20-Nov-13 18:47:04

I take tranexamic acid for a couple of days each period or I can't leave the house. I'm a little confused though cos I'm also bf - I checked with GP, pharmacist and the breast feeding network first and they all said it's fine to take.

I find it works really quickly and get no side effects.

shamble Wed 20-Nov-13 19:29:27

hhh I've found that doctors really vary in what they'll prescribe. glad the Tranexamic is working for you - have they done any investigations into why your periods are so heavy? I'm being referred for a scan because an examination indicated my uterus is enlarged.

TheBeanAndTheBee Wed 20-Nov-13 19:32:54

I was prescribed this together with transexamic acid, it did help me a bit in terms of reducing flow but didn't make it "normal". To be honest the only thing that has really worked is having a my

Auntidote Wed 20-Nov-13 19:33:51

I've found it helpful for heavy bleeding.

I'm on aspirin and it was making my periods much, we, runnier as you might expect, and I had clots and flooding and yuk. Mefenamic acid the last 2 months has made a big difference: much less blood.
But the source of my problem is blood/flow related not so much changes in build-up in the month and that might make a difference.

TheBeanAndTheBee Wed 20-Nov-13 19:35:02

Posted too soon!

...having a myomectomy to get rid of the fibroids causing the excessive bleeding. It was pretty drastic but has completely fixed the issue!

Do they know what's causing it?

Meringue33 Wed 20-Nov-13 19:35:49

My doc told me that tranxemic acid was really the one that slowed the flow so I stopped taking mefenamic acid and stuck to tranxemic. It really seems to work. I am still bf but read the bf drugs fact sheet and decided the risks were low, especially since baby is 10 mo and mix fed.

HHH3 Wed 20-Nov-13 19:37:15

Yes, I had a scan today which showed an area of calcification so next step is gynae.

I'm always quite suspicious when I'm told I can take something whilst bf as I always worry that I'm being told it's ok just to get rid of me (I'm sure I'm completely wrong btw). But the BFN have their own pharmacist who said it was ok which put my mind at rest.

shamble Wed 20-Nov-13 20:46:17

thanks all. I'm being referred for a scan to try to get to the bottom of it. I'm not so keen on tranexamic acid because of the blood clotting thing - I work with stroke patients and I'm paranoid! when the doctor said no I was kind of relieved.

madchocolatemum48 Thu 21-Nov-13 07:35:41

I was on a combination of tranexemic acid and mefenanic for really heavy periods, they helped but was told you shouldn't take them for longer than a year. I don't remember having side effects, sorry.
I ended up getting the mirena coil, which after a year of sporadic periods, they stopped. Now a box of 10 tampons lasts me about a year.

shamble Thu 21-Nov-13 08:13:31

the doctor is recommending the mirena. I can't make my mind up. really not keen on the idea of a coil...

HorsePetal Thu 21-Nov-13 08:15:48

OP I took them for a couple of years for very heavy and painful periods.

They did make a difference to flow rate and worked wonders for the pain.

Massive sympathies and hope you get sorted soon xx

shamble Thu 21-Nov-13 11:26:59

Horse did your periods resolve themselves after that, or did you do something else?

I've stopped taking it today because I am feeling overwhelmingly nauseous and exhausted. Not sure it's really worth it. Have substituted ibuprofen - see if it helps!

I would try and get the actual cause of the heavy bleeding established as well as treating the symptoms. Many GPs do not readily look for the cause of the bleeding.

Fibroids and endometriosis can cause heavy bleeding to arise; I would ask the GP to refer you to a gynaecologist for further evaluation if this has not already been done.

shamble Thu 21-Nov-13 14:12:11

I haven't been referred to a gynae but I have been referred for a scan. If the scan shows something I presume I'd get a gynae referral at that point?

HorsePetal Thu 21-Nov-13 15:20:35

Hi Shamble, things did settle for me eventually but I am pre menopausal now anyway so that could be why.

Agree with getting cause investigated, I was scanned to rule out endometriosis.

Just a thought, but the symptoms you describe (nausea, tiredness), could that be side effect of period itself rather than meds? Just thinking that i feel like that most months and not med related?

shamble Thu 21-Nov-13 15:31:18

this is unusual for me. I was slurring at work on Tuesday and I work with stroke survivors so not a good look!

TheBeanAndTheBee Thu 21-Nov-13 22:58:35

OP - worth getting your iron levels checked too if you haven't already done so. I was seriously anaemic pre-fibroid removal. Iron tablets made a huge difference to my tiredness levels.

shamble Sat 23-Nov-13 16:28:55

Thanks Bean. I got them checked; it appears my iron levels are robustly unassailable. I was kind of hoping they weren't and that taking iron would make me feel less tired! Turns out it's just my 13m old's fault.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now