Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hand holding required - chest x-ray results

(30 Posts)
rednellie Thu 14-Nov-13 18:53:15

I know none of you can really do or say anything, but I need to get this out of my head onto a page.

Have had a cough for ages, eventually has developed into a 'chest infection'. I go to the docs and get anti b's and also to talk about the fact I keep getting coughs. When we were in another country they started investigating asthma but never got anywhere as we moves back.

I broke down a little when she asked me if I smoked as I used to and am very paranoid about what I've done to my lungs. She sends me for an x-ray to reassure me. Week later, get call from doc. I need to go in tomorrow to.talk about the x-ray. She won't tell me what's up, told me not to worry but did say it was not normal.

So now I'm sitting here imaging I've got lung cancer at 33 or something else horrible and I don't know what to do. As I said, until I go tomorrow there isn't any point speculating but...I just feel so scared.

LittleNoona Sat 16-Nov-13 12:32:13

Just wanted to say that my gran smoked from the age of 14 (in Poland, start of WW2, no food so they smoked to stop hunger) and carried on smoking, 60 a day, untipped Woodbines until she was 84. Never had cancer.

Hope that reassures you a little.

I can imagine how worried you are and I would be exactly the same. But chances are it's nothing sinister. Will keep everything crossed for you thanks

I have sarcoidosis which showed up as shadows on my lungs at first. May be a possibility.

rednellie Sat 16-Nov-13 18:07:02

What's that Largeglassofred?

There's a link here,
www.nhs.uk/conditions/sarcoidosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Mine showed up as shadows then I had a ct scan followed further on by a biopsy, way less scary than lung cancer, most people are successfully treated with short term steroids.
I'm unlucky in that my body doesn't seam to be able to fight it, but I think I'm in the minority.
Hope you
Don't have to wait too long got your scan.

rednellie Sat 16-Nov-13 20:12:28

I hope so too. I'm not sure my symptoms fit that, bu am happy to wait for the professionals to work it out! My cough is VERY horribly productive...it's really quite gross. Urgh, just want to get better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now