Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Have you got raynaud's?

(61 Posts)
NaturalBaby Wed 13-Nov-13 21:30:09

I had a bad year last year due to being outdoors a lot more and my hands were a painful mess by December. They're just starting to really suffer now so am wondering what other's are doing to look after their hands.

I also get chilblains all over my fingers and very dry skin that cracks. My wedding rings aren't going to see the light of day till April at this rate!

Talkinpeace Sat 23-Nov-13 21:32:58

not me, but I'm a gym bunny who swims masses

RalphGnu Sun 24-Nov-13 07:41:48

I have vasospasm too - the pain feels like someone is twisting my nipples with a pair of pliers. I've found that since I breastfed DS, I don't get it as badly.

I thought I was the only one!

LegoCaltrops Sun 24-Nov-13 07:56:16

For my hands in winter, I wear some thin gloves, eg magic gloves, them a pair of silk gloves over, then a pair of sheepskin mittens with the woolly fleecy bit still lining the inside. The silk mittens mean you can get your hands in, I tried without but knitted gloves won't go into the sheepskin mittens without the silk IYSWIM.

Feet - buy winter boots a size larger, & layer up your socks.

NaturalBaby Mon 25-Nov-13 20:20:22

I don't like taking medication but my hands were in such a state last year that I am desperate to try something to prevent the months of agony I went through talkinpeace. I can't really manage very well with fingers that are stiff and painful, covered in open wounds from dry skin which is why I'm wondering how other people with the same condition manage.

I'm feeling a bit sick and run down at the moment but think it's because of an infection I've just had, so am thinking about getting a better multivitamin/mineral supplement.

merce Tue 13-May-14 10:05:48

Cranking up an old thread here, but what does everyone do in spring/summer? I feel ridiculous wearing gloves, but if I don't my hands are white and in agony…. Can anyone recommend some lightweight/thin gloves that might do the job without looking too absurd???

fivecupsoftea Tue 13-May-14 14:12:55

I wear some gloves from a tennis shop, they are thin. I feel silly for putting the heating on today.

merce Wed 14-May-14 10:28:13

Thanks for that. I just ordered some from a Raynaud website. Sod the strange looks - rather that than icy hands!

kissmelittleass Wed 14-May-14 11:23:20

Hi I live by the beach and last weekend being nice here I did get some funny double looks with gloves on walking along a beach!!, but hey let them look! I got some lined gloves from sports direct to put inside my thermal gloves for the winter so at the moment I find the lined gloves are fine to be used on their own. The supermarkets I find really bad I feel so cold and after picking up a bag of frozen veg recently with no gloves on I did suffer chillblains and swollen fingers and omg the itch from the chillblains. Did any of you get tested to see if your raynauds was caused by primary or secondary? I asked my GP to do this and it came back primary. I was also referred to a rheumy because my fingers were so swollen she only saw me twice told me to take adalat 2 a day, I have low blood pressure so just took one a day every second day and last winter was the best in a few years although I wasn't outdoors as much I cut back on the walking as my hands were unbearablely painful up until late april last year. Anyone that ever touches my hand tells me how cold they are!

Pandsbear Wed 14-May-14 11:38:18

The thin silk glove liners (mine are from Patra I think) are helpful as they are er...thin. I have two pairs of socks and my sheepskin slippers on today (in house - it's chilly inside).

merce Wed 14-May-14 12:38:08

Thin silk glove liners a good idea. Will have a look around. Agree - so cold inside today, but DH will be v. sniffy if I put the heating on….

NaturalBaby Wed 14-May-14 12:42:25

I got some gloves without the fingertips that are really good and have a pair of thin sports gloves that I use as a layer in colder weather, so good on their own at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now