Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have you got raynaud's?

(61 Posts)
NaturalBaby Wed 13-Nov-13 21:30:09

I had a bad year last year due to being outdoors a lot more and my hands were a painful mess by December. They're just starting to really suffer now so am wondering what other's are doing to look after their hands.

I also get chilblains all over my fingers and very dry skin that cracks. My wedding rings aren't going to see the light of day till April at this rate!

Talkinpeace Wed 13-Nov-13 23:11:21

Its a bugger isn't it!

Gloves
more gloves
baggy jumpers
more gloves

yoga
more yoga

but mainly : try to keep the circulation as stable as you can and work out the triggers

Pandsbear Thu 14-Nov-13 16:22:23

I do. It is miserable. Yes gloves gloves gloves and layers of wool jumpers to maintain your circulation. Try not to let your hands/toes/nose/ears go white & cold in the first place. (I know that is incredibly hard, as that sometimes happens to me when I am only getting things out of the fridge never mind being outdoors.) Moving around seems to be better than sitting at the laptop (ha!).

KringleCandleLover Thu 14-Nov-13 16:47:08

I use Heatbands... A bit like a Tenalady that is disposable and self sticks to your wrists. They sell them on heatbands.co.uk.

They work for me.

deepfriedsage Thu 14-Nov-13 16:47:52

The more I move my fingers the colder they get. Do you only get cold hands? My feet freeze too.

cardamomginger Thu 14-Nov-13 16:47:55

yes sad . it's crap.

Lagoonablue Thu 14-Nov-13 16:48:19

Yes just started to get it. It is horrible. I have no solution......guess I will need sheepskin mits this winter.

Artandco Thu 14-Nov-13 16:48:46

Sheepskin in boots

Ski thermals

Merino scarf and gloves and hat

eurochick Thu 14-Nov-13 16:49:24

Gloves
Hand warmers
Warm boots
Hat
Big wooly snood/scarf that you can pull up over your face
When outside keep moving (e.g. I prefer to walk for 20 mins rather than wait for the bus)

mercibucket Thu 14-Nov-13 16:54:47

lagoonablue - did you get your thyroid tested? i started with reynauds but it was caused by low thyroid

MirandaWest Thu 14-Nov-13 16:56:25

I am finding so far this year that putting gloves on before I need to and trying to go running two or three times a year is definitely helping. It's my ring fingers that sometimes just go white even when the rest are normal hmm.

UnderCoverChristmasElf Thu 14-Nov-13 17:18:44

My Dh suffers
What is the yoga that can be done?

Weegiemum Thu 14-Nov-13 17:20:20

I use silk liners, then thin wool gloves then massive gloves.

I avoid heat packs, I've had chilblains and a few burns from them.

My Raynauds is really bad with damp cold - gloves are my friends.

Talkinpeace Thu 14-Nov-13 17:53:12

Yoga helps maintain circulation in the extremities and reduces the long term damage of the capillaries emptying themselves all the time

NaturalBaby Thu 14-Nov-13 19:00:56

I started on nifedipine a few weeks ago and I almost feel like it's worse now! I have several pairs of gloves but it's really hard doing fiddly jobs out and about with kids while wearing 2 pairs of gloves. We've just moved into a very cold house and my hands are getting cold and numb in my own home now sad.

I like the sound of the heatbands.

Lagoonablue Thu 14-Nov-13 19:24:54

Thanks Merci. I haven't had thyroid tested in a while. May need a visit to GP then.......

Triplepoints Thu 14-Nov-13 19:49:13

I thought I was the only one!!! I mean I've heard of Reynaud's but never met anyone else with it.

I had to pay a cheque in the other day and my fingers had all gone white because I was wearing my all year round gloves instead of my winter gloves so I decided to queue up rather than use the self-service. Of course the annoying queue busting woman pounced on me when I said I was paying in a cheque and said she could do it for me then led me back to the self-service machines like I was too stupid to use them myself. I stormed out in a huff. It was a bit OTT but all I wanted to do was stand there long enough for the circulation to return. I have promised myself that next time I shall explain in a dignified manner.

Talkinpeace Thu 14-Nov-13 20:08:31

Triple
Make people shake hands with you ..... that cures them of thinking its nothing.

Statistically around 1/20 of women over 30 have it.
there is yellow raynauds (custard finger as my lovely children call it)
and purple : where you look bruised
and once you start to look you'll see lots and lots of people with yellow hands

I had GREAT fun once at a science event where they were playing with thermal cameras. I put my hand in front of it. I had no fingers. The poor little med student nearly fainted grin

Helspopje Thu 14-Nov-13 20:11:43

yes. it is rubbish.
but not as rubbish as raynauds of the nipples
sad

Talkinpeace Thu 14-Nov-13 20:18:46

yikes .... would deep heat or tiger balm help that as they both open capillaries?

Helspopje Thu 14-Nov-13 20:42:44

only thing that helps is keeping warm - ie flash pad back on/bra up/thick tshirt post feed, warm shower - or nifedipine.

the pain.... shudder

Triplepoints Thu 14-Nov-13 20:43:49

I really want to try that thing with the thermal cameras!
(Don't even want to think about raynauds of the nipples)

deepfriedsage Thu 14-Nov-13 20:59:18

Raynards of the nipples sounds horrific.

I have strange veins/capillaries as they over expand and over tighten. I was speaking to a Dr about it he said they dont understand the process properly yet.

Taranta Thu 14-Nov-13 21:03:30

Oh god, that's brought back the memory of having reynaud's of the nipples, vasospasm I think they called it, when I was breastfeeding DS [shudder]...

Helspopje Thu 14-Nov-13 21:07:05

I am slightly evangelical to let all know that vasospasm of nipple exists. I honestly thought I was going mental. The pain was extreme and enough to chuck BF a thousand times over. I must've been the only person in britain having super hot showers last summer.

It exists people. And is much more prevalent in those with Raynauds of the peripheries, or chilblains, rheumatologial problems or what I call 'hockey legs'.

kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipple-blanching/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now