Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vaginal Ultrasound

(17 Posts)

Yes full bladder for abdominal scan. Then sent for a wee and internal scan when back. The nurse held a blanket up and chatted while I removed bottom half and wrapped me in the blanket once I was on the bed thingy.
Health problems not pregnancy.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wallison Wed 23-Oct-13 21:41:28

It really is absolutely fine and imo a lot less uncomfortable than a smear. It's basically like a small dildo and they use lots of lube so it just slides in. I hate internal exams mostly, but it really was nothing bad at all.

BonaDea Wed 23-Oct-13 21:37:50

Is say definitely not as bad as a smear. And frankly when you see your little blob on screen you'll soon forget it!

as said isn't so bad. I had no pain what so ever.

Definitely not something to worry about. I've had millions dozens of internal ultrasounds over the last 2-3 years and not one of them has hurt. The probe is not very wide (eg a Rampant Rabbit is much thicker) and they use a lot of lube to ensure it glides in easily.

Sparklingbrook Wed 23-Oct-13 21:01:54

Same here Theas. I was allowed to go for a wee inbetween scans.

Just think of the massive slice of cake you will earn. grin

bundaberg Wed 23-Oct-13 20:58:47

agree with the others. I mean, you're not going to come out and think "wow, i loved that i wanna do it again" lol, but it's really not that bad.

Theas18 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:58:24

Honestly not awful at all. " shocked by how not awful" That's exactly it. Far far less uncomfy than a smear and you are covered and no one is peering at your nethers, all eyes are on the screen!

Btw I had a full bladder for the external scan and was told to go to the loo before the internal.

Sparklingbrook Wed 23-Oct-13 20:55:06

The thought of it is about a million times worse than having it done Britta.

V dark room, nurse looking at the screen. She asked me if I wanted to insert the scan thingy or did I want her to do it.

Then she started showing me stuff on the screen and chatting in general. Really not awful at all. x

Hassled Wed 23-Oct-13 20:54:37

The worst bit is the full bladder necessary - I was in agony with the need to pee. The internal thing isn't so bad, really.

Strumpetron Wed 23-Oct-13 20:54:22

Honestly they're not bad at all. I had one a 3 years ago when I was 19. You take your pants off and put a gown on, they pop you on a lied back chair, and you can barely feel it when it goes in.

I was really shocked at how not-awful it was. Hope you're okay!

MyNameIsWinkly Wed 23-Oct-13 20:52:58

I've had lots, they're really not that bad.

You'll be given a large paper blanket thing and left to get undressed and covered. The probe is covered in a condom and lots of lube. It's then placed inside. It doesn't hurt but does feel a bit weird. It won't take long, and isn't cold, slimy or sore like an abdominal ultrasound.

Good luck.

darksparrow Wed 23-Oct-13 20:52:25

They are not awful at all - I think if you are earlier than 8 weeks it will be vaginal. I've had a couple - they are fine - and worth if for peace of mind.

BrittaPie Wed 23-Oct-13 20:52:24

I've never had a smear either, too scared...

littlemissnorty Wed 23-Oct-13 20:51:25

No different to having a smear imo. I had one very early into my 2nd of and it was fine. Concentrate on the VDU

BrittaPie Wed 23-Oct-13 20:49:19

I need to go for an ultrasound, and I don't know if it will be "normal" or the scary vaginal type.

How awful are they? I want to be prepared :-/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now