Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you "injure" yourself from coughing?

(28 Posts)
Khimaira Wed 23-Oct-13 07:49:16

Not really injure, but not sure what the right word is. I've had a cough for over a week now, not constantly, but once it's starts its hard to stop and hard to breathe. It comes mainly from a change e.g. Sitting to lying down, going outside, going inside. But yesterday it's like I've pulled a muscle or something (is that even possible?) when I breathe in deeply or cough I have a pain in between my ribs. It's not constant and not when I breathe shallowly.
Is the anything I can do for this? Cream or take painkillers - what would be best? (Still Bf DD once a day if that's important). I have to take DS to toddler gym in an hour and need to be able to breathe and lift him.

pudseypie Thu 24-Oct-13 20:19:13

glad it's getting better smile

digerd Thu 24-Oct-13 21:17:34

I know a woman who got a hernia from violent coughing. I have had pulled rib muscles, making coughing agony. Went to Gps and he put me on ABs which did clear up the cough and my rib muscles soon were back to normal.

gobbin Mon 28-Oct-13 21:53:01

I ended up with costochondritis from coughing when I had the flu in March. Very sharp pain for over three weeks until it eased. Went to the docs wondering if I'd broken a rib it was that sore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now