Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Deep Tissue Massages vs physio

(7 Posts)
NuggetofPurestGreen Tue 22-Oct-13 21:10:36

Great thanks impatient have seen a couple of guys local to me recommended on another forum so I'll give them a shout. Hopefully they can do something useful. Presume would need multiple sessions so I better start saving! smile

Paddy I don't even know what Reiki is but I will look into it! Also considering yoga and acupuncture. And yes I love Lord Percy Percy grin

impatienttobemummy Tue 22-Oct-13 21:03:14

I'm not into sport but sports physio has done wonders for my back! After having as much deep tissue work as I have I can't have massage at a spa for example as its never hard enough for me! Even when I say 'go for it' grin
Give a few a call and discuss your needs and see who sounds like they could help... Or try and have a free assessment.
I now see an osteopath but how they work can be really variable so I'd still say sports physio is the way to go

PaddyMac76 Tue 22-Oct-13 20:48:11

Try Reiki, but get some recommendations, you need to find a good practitioner.
Reiki is superb for stress relief, I guarantee it
(Love the slackbladder name smile )

NuggetofPurestGreen Tue 22-Oct-13 20:37:00

Thanks guys, I'd a feeling physio might be the way to go. A lot of the massage places are doing deals at the moment so probably a bit cheaper but was concerned it'd be a bit airy fairy. I wasn't sure about sports physio as not injured or anything (and not related to sport) but i'll see if I can get a recommendation for somewhere.

impatienttobemummy Tue 22-Oct-13 20:33:46

You need a physio that uses deep tissue work. Sports physio is good for this

CMOTDibbler Tue 22-Oct-13 20:32:00

I've been to a physio who did massage and acupuncture as well as stretches etc, and I really liked her integrated approach

NuggetofPurestGreen Tue 22-Oct-13 20:26:59

Hi all,

I have really really tense shoulders, back and neck muscles, all knotted up, not painful or anything just aware of them (presumably stress related, I'm a big ball of anxiety). Also I was at the dentist recently and was complaining about headaches and stiff jaws and he said the jaw muscles were all tense - he suggested getting a massage or physio.

So wise mumsnetters, do you think I should go to a massage place (not that type!) and look for a deep tissue massage or go to a physiotherapist or a sports therapist type place? Don't really know where to start, don't want to go to a random massage clinic and end up with just a backrub that doesn't do anything helpful. Any thoughts appreciated...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now