Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! Major pain in lower left abdomen...

(20 Posts)
Wiifitmama Tue 22-Oct-13 17:38:14

I googled kidney infection and it doesn't seem to fit. It is lower left side of the front of my abdomen. It has been there persistently all day and seems worse now. It is not intermittent, not an ache. An actual pain. I assumed it was digestion related as last night I had really bad gas from something. But that was gone by the morning and I have been to the toilet normally.

Any ideas? Starting to get a little worried now.

valiumredhead Tue 22-Oct-13 17:46:49

Appendix? You should ring nhs direct, no way anyone could diagnose over the internet. Hope you feel better soonthanks

Ring now.

mrsblakey Tue 22-Oct-13 18:16:59

i agree it may be appendix.
ring nhs direct asap.

ninjanurse Tue 22-Oct-13 18:20:12

I would be concerned about an ectopic pregnancy which needs checking out asap. Appendix is usually central/right sided pain. Please seek medical advice OP.

Wiifitmama Tue 22-Oct-13 18:21:50

Definitely not pregnancy as we use condoms and I just had a period. With appendix, wouldn't I feel unwell generally?

PoppyScarer Tue 22-Oct-13 18:22:27

Gallstones?

starshaker Tue 22-Oct-13 18:23:31

how long ago was your period. Could it be ovulation pain?

OnaPromise Tue 22-Oct-13 18:23:43

Could you have pulled a muscle? You should phone nhs 24 to check with them.

Wiifitmama Tue 22-Oct-13 18:36:54

Definitely doesn't feel muscular.

Would ovulation pain be so constant all day?

I am reluctant to call NHS direct as they are so bloody useless. All they every do is say go to out of hours dr.

valiumredhead Tue 22-Oct-13 18:38:59

Then go to the ooh doctor.

You have a 'major pain,' get it checked out.

starshaker Tue 22-Oct-13 18:42:41

Ovulation pain (for me anyway) can go on all day and is very very painful. Ive even had it last a couple days.

justpoppy Wed 23-Oct-13 15:24:24

I had this last week. Doc thought it was kidneys until she saw a scan on my notes which showed an ovarian cyst. Admitted to gynae ward Thursday. Had it removed on Friday evening. Surgeon said it was twisting on itself which was what was causing the pain. The pain was v sharp - almost like a stitch.

Wiifitmama Wed 23-Oct-13 15:34:11

Thanks everyone. The pain is mostly gone today. I wonder if it was ovulation pain though I have never had that before.

Littlefish Wed 23-Oct-13 15:59:02

I agree that it could be an ovarian cyst, and so definitely worth having investigated.

PoppyScarer Wed 23-Oct-13 22:46:29

What did you eat roughly, ooh, an hour before the pain started? Was it fatty?

I'd put my money on gallstones...

InsultingBadger Wed 23-Oct-13 22:49:25

Colon? My nan has diverticulosis and sounds similar

PipkinsPal Wed 23-Oct-13 22:49:42

Thought your gallbladder was on the right hand side by the liver, same side as your appendix.

FlabbyAdams Thu 24-Oct-13 00:02:38

How are your bowels? Could have been something to do with hard stools or a colon problem.

Just keep an eye on it and get checked out of it happens agaon.

Good to hear you feel better today though.

shewhowines Fri 25-Oct-13 11:07:54

Trapped wind? Can be agony.

PoppyScarer Fri 25-Oct-13 19:00:28

Well, my gall-bladder-removal scar is in the middle of my abdomen, directly below my ribs, so I kind-of hope it was there wink.

In all seriousness, gallstones cause a sharp pain but also very painful colic as a secondary symptom, which in my case was on the left side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now