Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is A&E appropriate if I can't get a doc appt tomorrow?

(21 Posts)

I have no idea what I've done, but I can't put any weight on my foot at all. Two weeks ago I was walking downstairs and got a sudden pain in my foot, it came up in a huge bruise on the top, sort of in the middle at the base of my toes, it swelled up and it spread over the whole top of my foot. I could walk on it but it was really painful. The swelling went down after a couple of days and the bruise was gone in a week.

It's been getting better, and although it was still painful to walk on, it was definitely improving last week, then it got more painful again, so I made a doc appt for this Tuesday.

Tonight, out of the blue, I was just cooking tea and got this sudden agonising pain in the same place - much worse than before. I'm no wimp, but this about put me on my knees.

I can move my toes (though it hurts), I can scrunch them down but if I try to pull them up or spread them it's a sharp searing pain. It's very slightly swollen just in the middle, where it hurts, but here's no bruise or anything.

My friend is taking her son to the hospital tomorrow morning, she has offered me a lift to A&E. I'm going to ring my doc first thing, see if I can get an on-the-day appt, but they usually go really fast.

I don't think it's a true 'emergency', no danger to life or limb, but right now I really can't walk at all, I can't put ANY weight on it. If it's still the same in the morning, and I can't get a doc appt, would it be appropriate to go to A&E?

rubyslippers Sun 20-Oct-13 21:17:08

Yes I would go

Searing pain which floors you needs to be checked out if you can't get to your GP

Facebaffle Sun 20-Oct-13 21:20:34

Yes.

What could your doctor do about it? Surely he would need to send you for an x ray or something to investigate the source of the pain.

Hope you're foot's better soon.

Facebaffle Sun 20-Oct-13 21:20:48

* your

Thurlow Sun 20-Oct-13 21:21:11

Yes - I'd try your GP first for an appt, but if they don't have any I would go. Especially if you wake up tomorrow morning and you still can't put any weight on it.

ouryve Sun 20-Oct-13 21:21:13

Either there or (excuse me) a walk in or minor injuries centre, if you have one near you. It needs checking out and, since it hasn't healed, possibly x-raying. You could end up with life long problems if it's not sorted.

Weekday mornings are generally quieter than other times, so long as there's been no major incidents. Be prepared to be there all day, so have back up if you have kids to pick up from school.

CMOTDibbler Sun 20-Oct-13 21:21:32

A&E wouldn't be appropriate imo. GP or minor injuries unit

holidaysarenice Sun 20-Oct-13 21:23:39

Normally I'm very anti going to a and e!! But in this case I wud say a and e is more appropriate, as a hcp.

You will need an x-ray and likely crutches most likely a possible fracture.

Your gp can't give you either - so a and e is appropraite.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 20-Oct-13 21:23:45

To be honest, id go to minor injuries or A&E (althoguh you might have to wait AGES in A&E) rather than the doctors as it sounds like you need an x-ray. Our minor injuries unit does x-rays and you are seen really quickly - A&E, well, you may as well take your camping gear!

Oh crap. I was sort of hoping for a typical MN chorus of "don't bother A&E with minor stuff!"

We do have a walk-in center 15 miles away but I have absolutely no way of getting there. Hence the offer from my friend who's going to the main hospital anyway.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 20-Oct-13 21:25:11

In the mean time - elevate your foot, take some ibruprofen and stick a packet of frozen peas on it.

hettienne Sun 20-Oct-13 21:25:49

I'd go to Walk-in/Urgent Care etc ahead of A&E, but if you can't get there or to a GP you don't really have another option.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 20-Oct-13 21:27:26

could you get a taxi to the walk in - simply because you'll be seen more quickly (only if they have x-ray though or they will send you to A&E anyway). Could she drop you at OOH?

Floralnomad Sun 20-Oct-13 21:32:36

My only issue is if you think its bad enough for A&E then go tonight ,if it's not bad enough to go tonight then either GP or wait until Tuesday . The clue is in the name ,and it's not an emergency if it can wait 12 hours . Hope it feels better soon whatever you decide .

goodasitgets Sun 20-Oct-13 21:32:39

If you can't get an appointment, try asking for an x ray card or a phone appointment, then you can just take the card to x ray

You could always phone A&E first and check with them as all A&E's are different. Obviously mention the recent searing pain whilst standing on it as well as the 2 weeks ago initial injury.

I work in an A&E and I wouldn't turn you away. smile

Walk-in and A&E are in exactly opposite directions from my house. And if I get a taxi to the walk-in and they want to send me to A&E I'll have to get a taxi there too, plus a taxi home, and TBH I can't afford that. It would be at least £20 per trip.

Our A&E is fab, not usually very busy, we've never been there more than 4 hours in total. Unfortunately we've been sort of regulars there over the past six months as my elderly parents keep getting into mischief (why oh why won't they accept they're getting older and climbing ladders is Not a Good Idea?) but this'll be a first for me!

CosmicDespot Sun 20-Oct-13 21:34:29

Yes, I think your GP will send you off to be x-rayed anyway, so go to minor injuries if you have one. NHS Choices.

Your poor foot! Hope they sort it out quickly.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 20-Oct-13 21:40:15

our nearest A&E is 30 miles away thanks to cut backs angry but our minor injuries unit is very good. I can see your dilemma there oops - you are right, go with your friend but for gawd sake take a book (or your mobile phone so you can mnet!) i hope you feel better soon x

LittleNoona Sun 20-Oct-13 22:10:07

I would go to A&E.

You could have had a maya tarsal stress fracture from the initial injury, which has now completely broken, hence the pain that nearly floored you.

You will definitely need an X-ray.

Good luck

How's your foot today? Did you go to A&E?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now