Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

I can't cope with the ITCH anymore!

(20 Posts)
DTisMYdoctor Thu 17-Oct-13 21:56:18

Will do summerday, even though I'm getting tests for some other things it would never have occurred to me that the itching could be related. Very strong history of thyroid issues in my family, so quite possible that's the root of my problems.

cathpip Thu 17-Oct-13 19:55:23

Aloe Vera gel is very good for the itching, Vaseline do a range in larger supermarkets but yes do go to the drs, have been there and it's so not nice......

Summerdaydreams Thu 17-Oct-13 19:48:37

DTis - Itching is certainly worth mentioning to the GP too.

Summerdaydreams Thu 17-Oct-13 19:47:36

Go to GP. Itching can be a sign of anaemia, in fact so too is hair loss.
Ask for full bloods including liver function.

DTisMYdoctor Wed 16-Oct-13 23:07:33

Really interested to see this thread - my skin has been very itchy lately, it's been driving me demented! I have actually just had a load of blood tests done because of joint pains and some other symptoms that could be caused by thyroid or vit B issues, but it never occurred to me to mention the itching to my doctor. It feels like my skin is crawling and much worse in the evening.

I'm not due back at the doctors until next week, but will try some aveeno or similar until then.

Apileofballyhoo Wed 16-Oct-13 22:50:55

I think diabetes is another I have heard of relating to itch. Avoid any bodywash/shower gel with SLS in it and use non-bio for clothes. Emollient (sp?) body washes are great, Aveeno do one (smells horrid though).

starkadder Wed 16-Oct-13 22:40:26

Liver problems can cause itching - get bloods done and I am sure they can sort you out smile. Meanwhile, aveeno cream or aqueous cream with menthol might help.

Earthymama Wed 16-Oct-13 22:35:48

Also, ice helped with the itching

Earthymama Wed 16-Oct-13 22:03:48

I feel your pain! And the need to scratch it!!

I have been driven nearly insane by the Itch, for months recently and in bouts over the past 10 or so years.
I had blood tests as I was so exhausted, I felt, not suicidal, but that life was not worth living.

I has tests for anaemia and thyroid and cried when the results were normal as I longed for help.

Then, after talking to a friend who has allergies I decided to stop esti g bread and pastries, cereals with wheat etc. it has been 3 weeks now.

Guess what, the exhaustion is gone; I still get tired but it is ordinary tiredness iykwim.

The itch is nearly gone, still a bit sore but nothing in comparison to before. So I am sleeping better and less tired.

I won't presume to advise you but might it be worth mentioning to your GP?

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Wed 16-Oct-13 21:58:18

No no no. Go to docs and they will check everything. It's not trivial at all and you owe it to your baby to keep well. smile

Cluelessat30 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:53:43

Argh! Stupid phone..
Took me months to figure it out. It was only when I was prescribed with it for another virus that the rash which had eventually gone (after about 3 months) came back. Read the side effects and hey ho, itchy rash. I'm not allowed to have if now.
I used a cream from the chemist to reduce the itch and enormous willpower to stop scratching, as I got caught in a cycle of scratching. The shame. Think it was called larnacane. HTH.

scratchandsniff Wed 16-Oct-13 21:52:11

Get them to do a full range of bloods. It could be a case of hormones etc being out of kilter after having a baby. I was really run down about 6mths after and ended up with shingles.

BriocheBriocheBrioche Wed 16-Oct-13 21:49:05

Anemia and thyroid had crossed my mind. I have really lost my appetite too. Im really into food but at the moment there is never anything that I fancy.

I must book an appointment with the Dr.
I sometime just feel like im wasting their time when its lots of little things.

Thanks.

Cluelessat30 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:48:42

I react to pennicillin with an all over rash. Took me m

scratchandsniff Wed 16-Oct-13 21:40:36

Thyroid? Sometimes goes haywire after having a baby.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Wed 16-Oct-13 21:39:18

X post smile

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Wed 16-Oct-13 21:38:56

NOT A DOCTOR! But sounds like Anemia to me. I'd see your GP.

Varya Wed 16-Oct-13 21:38:39

Might need apt with GP.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Wed 16-Oct-13 21:37:37

Anaemia? Itching and tiredness are symptoms. And is common postnatally. Go to GPs and get blood tested.

BriocheBriocheBrioche Wed 16-Oct-13 21:36:13

Can anyone help diagnose me?

I have terrible all over itching. There is no rash just very itchy skin all over my body. My legs are the worst, followed by my stomach, boobs, head and inner upper arms.

It started about 6 months ago now and is there all the time but its much worse at night time.

I have also been loosing a lot of hair recently (after already loosing a lot 4 months after giving birth) and feel really tired and drained all the time.
Even when ive slept well I have to have a nap or two in the day time.
Ive also noticed I loose my train of thought often when talking.

I do have a baby of nearly 10 months (who sleeps very well). I know a lot of these 'symptoms' could be related but I would have thought that my hormones would have levelled out a bit by now.

Any idea's?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now