Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Overweight, swollen legs

(3 Posts)
Jan49 Wed 16-Oct-13 17:36:52

Can any GPs/doctors/people with experience advise me please? This is for a friend. She has a doctor's appointment next week. Aged over 50, tall, size 18-20.

She's overweight, mainly around her stomach, and it's got much worse over the past 6 months and is now affecting daily life. Her legs and feet are swollen. There's a stiff feeling behind the knees that stops them bending. She struggles to get dressed and has stopped going out as she can hardly walk outdoors. After sitting down for 15 minutes, her legs feel swollen.

She's been dieting for a few months but her stomach is getting worse and the swollen legs have only happened in the past month. She's tried raising her feet in bed but it hasn't made a difference. What is a doctor likely to advise?

brettgirl2 Wed 16-Oct-13 18:17:12

I think she needs to see a doctor sooner than next week. Have you phoned nhs direct?

Musicaltheatremum Thu 17-Oct-13 19:05:24

I'm 50 and size 18 but can still run and stretch and do everything. She needs to see GP I would give that person a next day appointment or that day if they phoned first thing. She needs blood tests, a thorough examination and I would probably arrange an urgent ultrasound based on those symptoms. Or admission if severe. Don't wait until next week if it is progressing quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now