Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

bleeding bum.....blush

(9 Posts)
crikeybill Tue 15-Oct-13 09:41:40

If I go to the gp will she want to see my bum ?
I've had a stinging pain when I poo for about a year. Bright red blood when I wipe. Yesterday I went and the whole toilet bowl was filled with blood. There was so much !! It was everywhere and the water was red. Loads on the paper etc. It made me feel quite faint. There wasn't any pain ?
If I ask a gp she is going to want to see isn't she ??
I've got three kids but for some reason this fills me with horror.
What could it be?

ooerrmissus Tue 15-Oct-13 09:47:27

It's probably piles (hemaroids) (sp?). I would still go and get it checked out though. Yes she is going to want to have a look, but it's not painful or anything. If you've had three kids you've probably hand hundreds of people looking up your fajoozle so why would you be worried about one person looking at your bum?!

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 15-Oct-13 09:49:22

It sounds like you have piles OP. It's very common and easy to sort out. You are doing the right thing, and don't worry about the GP and your bum. She'll be used to it.

Good luck.

DowntonTrout Tue 15-Oct-13 09:49:39

It is most likely piles or an anal fissure. This would explain the stinging pain you have described. There are creams or pessaries you can buy over the counter which will really help.

BUT- you must visit your GP. They will need to examine you and no it is not pleasant. However, anal bleeding must be checked to rule out anything more sinister. So whilst it is most likely just piles I, you, or anyone else cannot diagnose that without an examination.

lborolass Tue 15-Oct-13 09:50:21

I would definitely go to the GP, it was on the news today that there's a campaign starting to make people more aware of blood in their wee (I know yours is poo) and not to ignore it as early diagnosis of any problem is important.

Hopefully it will just be piles but do go and get checked.

MrsPnut Tue 15-Oct-13 09:58:21

Do you have any changes to your bowel habits? Go and see your GP, they have seen it all before and they are matter of fact about it.

I have ulcerative colitis and have flare ups that cause bleeding like you describe but it is mostly controlled with medication.

crikeybill Tue 15-Oct-13 18:24:54

Saw my gp tonight, she did indeed examine me. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I feel a bit silly thinking I would be lying with my bum in the air. It didn't occur to me id be on my side blush

Anyway she ruled out piles or haemaroids and I've been referred for blood tests and to the hospital. Not sure what for and feel a bit.....eeeeeek !!

MrsPnut Tue 15-Oct-13 20:39:06

It depends on what the blood tests say - they usually test for coeliac disease amongst other things and once you see the consultant, you'll have a better idea.

Heymacarena Wed 16-Oct-13 19:47:53

Just seen this thread and wanted to respond, but I see you have already been to the GP.

I too have been having issues with my bum since early summer. Lots of blood at times - but the pain was pretty bad.

The nurse said I had an anal fissure and piles. but it was the fissure that was the really painful part. The piles were more of a pressure pain iykwim.

Mine has mostly cleared up now - I was booked in to have surgery, but had to delay as developed a dvt and am on warfarin, hence the surgeon wanted to wait.

Am glad you saw the GP- and it wasn't as bad as you thought. They see bums all the time. I have shown mine to loads of people in the past few months. Meh.

Today I had a sigmoidoscopy. The camera up the colon. Wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. It involved an enema, and seeing up the inside of my butt on a screen. Was quite interesting.

Anyway, fingers crossed yours is all okay too.

Tips - keep your poos soft - fruit is good, bananas! Water is good. Avoid codeine based painkillers. By doing these few things I really eased my fissure - and it healed up without treatment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now