Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

How do I soften a scab?

(7 Posts)
olivo Fri 11-Oct-13 15:49:08

Sorry, bit grim. Had surgery on my nose last week, and despite my best efforts at rinsing, I have we very large scab on one side. Is there any way I can moisten it so it may come off by itself? It is driving me potty.

Matildathecat Fri 11-Oct-13 16:54:24

Leave it. It's healing underneath. If you fiddle around you could slow things down.

PeterParkerSays Fri 11-Oct-13 16:59:35

put moisturiser on it - Savlon, cocoa butter etc - to keep it more flexible but leave well alone, it'll scar if you try and get it off.

Katla Fri 11-Oct-13 17:04:12

I put Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream on scabs (or spots) and it works a dream to keep them supple and not crispy. I'm not sure that's what Elizabeth Arden had in mind for it but hey ho. But just leave it as it'll take longer to heal underneath if you pick it (learned from past experience!!)

olivo Fri 11-Oct-13 17:05:22

I know I should leave it, but it's blocking nearly my whole nostril sad. I'm still doing saline rinses but will try to moisturise it a bit.

So tempting to pick......confused

Methe Fri 11-Oct-13 17:06:53

Have a long hot shower and try to breath in some steam? Is it in your nostril or on the outside?

olivo Fri 11-Oct-13 17:47:15

Inside, had my septum sorted. I think the scab has tightened on the stitches. I think if I cans often it, I'll be less inclined to pick at it.

I have 8hr cream,that's def worth a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now