Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Yellow/white bits all over my tonsils

(11 Posts)
JollyScaryGiant Thu 10-Oct-13 14:18:04

When I breathe it feels like someone's sandpapered my throat. Temp was over 38 Mon, Tue, wed. But only 37.5 today. Head sore too. And neck. And ears.

Should I call docs? Or just continue to dose up on paracetamol and ibuprofen?

OliverBoliverButt33 Thu 10-Oct-13 14:36:08

Sounds like tonsillitis.

Is it slowly getting better? If so, keep dosing up with painkillers & drinking lots.

If it's not clearing &/or getting worse, see the GP or practice nurse. You might need a course of antibiotics.

picnicbasketcase Thu 10-Oct-13 14:43:49

Pus spots does usually mean tonsillitis I believe. DH had it a while back and was given antibiotics.

Thants Thu 10-Oct-13 14:46:53

It's tonsillitis. You can buy throat numbing gargles and sprays which help. Plus both ibuprofen and paracetamol. You can see the doctor but the majority of the time tonsillitis is viral so there's not much they can do. I feel for you I had it a year ago and it was horrible.

Right - I am a bit fed up with saying this and people not taking notice BUT

I had tonsillitis terribly every month from when my periods started until I was 35 years old. I was prescribed antibiotics so much that I eventually started having allergic reactions to them. The only thing that helped (and this only works with bacterial not viral tonsillitis) is getting a 60p bottle of hydrogen peroxide from the chemist and gargling with it diluted with water as per instructions. It is cheaper, better for you and works quicker than the antibiotics - as a plus it also really cleans your mouth and your teeth.

Seriously go and invest in a bottle and give it a go, I promise it will work.

Lorelei353 Thu 10-Oct-13 14:50:35

Yes to hydrogen peroxide. I'd totally forgotten about it but I used that when I had recurrent infections years ago.

Thants Thu 10-Oct-13 14:51:43

Yes! Hydrogen peroxide that's a good idea. My friend says cortisol is good to as that is also anti bacterial

valiumredhead Thu 10-Oct-13 14:51:52

See your gp. I ignored tonsillitis once at my peril and was very ill for 3 weeks, the gp really roasted me for not seeing him sooner. We had to cancel or holiday too.

JollyScaryGiant Thu 10-Oct-13 15:11:46

Right I will go to chemist for hydrogen peroxide tomorrow. Going to gargle salty water too.

Dunno if it is getting worse or not. My temp is down but my headache is awful. Jaw sore, throat and swollen glands In neck.

I am terrible at being ill.

valiumredhead Thu 10-Oct-13 15:21:01

I'm telling you, see the gp. If you get sent away with nothing then great but you might well need anti b's and tonsillitis can go nasty very quickly.

JollyScaryGiant Thu 10-Oct-13 15:21:48

Okay. I will call them 8am tomorrow for an emergency appt. I promise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now