Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lump in armpit

(13 Posts)
wrenster Thu 10-Oct-13 12:47:56

Looking for some advice.

About 3 weeks ago I had a lump in my left armpit that came up all of a sudden (only about the size of a kidney bean) Went to the docs who gave me a breast examination and looked at the lump. She gave me antibiotics in case of any infection and said to go back in a week if it didn't go. Within 2 days it completely disappeared.

This week I have found another lump in my right armpit. only the size of a pea, but I'm obviously concerned.

Has anyone had anything similar or can offer advice advice/reassurance?

Thanks

BestestBrownies Thu 10-Oct-13 12:52:35

Hi OP. I had a lump in my armpit once that was a real bastard of an ingrown hair. It took bloody ages to disappear, hurt like hell until I gave it a good, hard, satisfying squeeze that errr... 'decorated' the bathroom mirror and I still have a small scar where it used to be. Probably TMI, sorry. If you're worried, go back to the doc

eatyourveg Thu 10-Oct-13 14:10:23

I read your post and the first thought was that it sounded like a swollen gland? Are you fighting a virus or infection? Perhaps you needed a longer course of antibiotics. I would wait a few days to see if it subsides and then go back to your doctor.

wrenster Fri 11-Oct-13 06:44:44

Thanks v much for your replies. I was actually unwell the first time eatyourveg, so that's one of the things the doc thought it could be. I have had bad ulcers this time round, although I wouldn't say I was poorly this time, but like you say maybe something is hanging around.

Thanks for the reassurance, keeping my fingers crossed it goes soon

tanfastic Sat 12-Oct-13 21:36:57

I have had little swollen glands in my armpits. They normally feel tender and disappear I a few days. I've always assumed it was because I've nicked myself shaving or something. I would only be concerned if a lump didn't disappear to be honest.

brettgirl2 Sun 13-Oct-13 10:41:09

Yes I get the odd spot too, always very sore but go quickly. I would only worry if it didn't go....

nomorecrumbs Sun 13-Oct-13 10:43:42

I've had them the last few weeks too, on and off. I made a similar thread a couple of weeks ago grin sounds like you're run down. Feel better soon!

wrenster Sun 13-Oct-13 20:07:58

Thanks everyone, lump has now gone thanks goodness but I did go to the docs and she put me on antibiotics again. I know I should complete the course but I am wondering if it was just a coincidence it has gone with antibiotics or whether I do actually have some infection?

eatyourveg Sun 13-Oct-13 20:22:52

always finish the course - definitely definitley definitely! Glad the lump has gone

cruxible Sun 13-Oct-13 20:31:28

I have had a lump in my armpit come and go for years now. It took ages for the docs to explain it properly. It is a cyst that is always there and sometimes gets infected (I have had oral and local antibiotics for this) which makes it go down for a bit. It is always a bit unsettling when it comes up.

Venushasrisen Mon 14-Oct-13 05:53:51

I got lumps in my armpit after waxing my underarms. Some sort of infection in the hair follicles I should think. I think they went away on their own (long time ago).

Biscuitsneeded Thu 17-Oct-13 22:58:50

You might just be fighting something. The lymph nodes in your underarms are a bit like glands on your neck, aren't they?

mintymellons Fri 18-Oct-13 13:51:53

I have a little hardish pea sized lump in my left armpit. Been there at least ten years. GP checked it twice and was happy that it was a cyst. It is quite attached under the skin and can be moved with the skin if I grab it (does that make sense?). Never grown or caused any problems but I was very worried when I found it! Hope you get yours sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now