Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu jab - not over 65 or pregnant

(15 Posts)
SheldorAFK Wed 09-Oct-13 10:48:38

Is anyone thinking of getting the flu jab outside of the groups the nhs recommends?

I'm anaemic but otherwise fit and healthly in my 30s. However I have a 6 week old and toddler and could really do without getting flu this year.

Is it worth it?

OhWhatAPalaver Wed 09-Oct-13 11:24:09

I just had mine the other day and still feeling crap. Not like I have flu but not good either. Very achey, rough stomach and no energy at all. My toddler is bored! I start my new job tomorrow as well so I best feel better by then!

Orchidlady Wed 09-Oct-13 11:38:14

I was offered the flu jab because I am diabetic, apparently, I politely refused as I know there is a limited supply so would rather someone else who really needed it had one. None of us could do with the flu, having 2 small kids hardly seems a worthy reason to have one.

My employer provides flu jabs so I've had one for the past two years, and plan to get one this year. Both times my arm ached for a few days but nothing worse. I had proper flu a few years ago and it was awful, I think a jab is worth it.

SheldorAFK Wed 09-Oct-13 12:25:02

Thank you all. orchid is supply limited if you pay privately for the jab? I've seen pharmacy's advertise for private flu jabs how can they do this if they're limited?

BeCool Wed 09-Oct-13 12:30:22

I was never into them, but I had one when PG with DD2 (it was recommended). And then I got one the following year too and will probably get on this year.

Quite simply a winter without getting the flu is fantastic (I usually get it every year). I still got tonsillitis last year though

meditrina Wed 09-Oct-13 12:43:38

GPs are meant to pre-order the jab, based on likely need given their patient base. Employers who provide it also do this, based on their head count. And pharmacies who want to sell it do this too, based on the number they think they'll sell.

Then the manufacturers make enought to fulfill the orders. There's always a bit of spare capacity, as the 'flu season' moves round the globe.

So the limit is essentially determined by the market. The NHS won't run out, unless GP's orders are badly wrong.

Orchidlady Wed 09-Oct-13 12:56:32

I suppose I feel guilty going to GP for anything unless on my knees or dealing with stupid diabetes, but that's just me. I have had flu once and it was totally horrid so guess if you are prone to getting the flu then go for it.

I'd get it.

I'm allowed an NHS one because I'm technically asthmatic but I haven't actually had any asthma flare ups for years, I was quite prone to catching flu though, and not having it is fab.

specialsubject Wed 09-Oct-13 13:18:53

I am not in one of the high risk groups, but if I get flu I will be coughing for WEEKS and that's no fun for me or anyone in a mile radius. So I will be off to Asda or wherever as soon as the jabs are available.

Legosareforever Wed 09-Oct-13 13:35:54

I would go for it.

Do you know if you can have the jab whilst breastfeeding?

OhWhatAPalaver Wed 09-Oct-13 14:40:36

Yep I had it last year while breastfeeding. Had no issues last time but this year's has made me feel rough as toast! Luck of the draw I think.

EnlightenedOwl Wed 09-Oct-13 18:25:55

Yes booked with private GP £13

BeCool Wed 09-Oct-13 18:43:14

I had it while BF too.

sonsmum Fri 11-Oct-13 17:02:37

it's a personal choice, and you're likely to have to pay for it if you don't fit into the 'at risk' categories. (Tesco/Boots will administer it shortly).
I get it through work and had it this year (no side effects). Don't have the vaccine if you are already suffering with a cold. Wait for the cold to go.
I had the vaccine last year and didn't even get a cold. May be luck, but others in my family had some cold illness that had symptoms for approx 6 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now