Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Stoptober - Your top tips on giving up smoking

(35 Posts)
RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 02-Oct-13 10:30:16

Hi all,

As Stoptober is now in full force, we wanted to help encourage those taking part by sharing advice and tips on how to give up smoking.

According the NHS Stopober site, last Stoptober over 160,000 people stopped smoking for 28 days.

So have you found that gum or patches have helped?
Did you go it alone or with a friend?
Was it sheer willpower or did nicotine replacements help you?

Please do share any tips that you have for quitting below and best of luck to all of those taking part.

jodywood Tue 24-Dec-13 06:23:07

I was 14, when I started to smoke. I smoke two packs a day. I am on Chantix and no longer smoking now. You can also try this. See what others feel about Chantix here http://forum.internationaldrugmart.com/drug-information-f5/chantix-reviews-anyone-sucessfully-quit-smoking-t5980.html

Jettsboy Thu 17-Oct-13 16:32:19

I had been smoking for over 40 years ( 2 ounces rolling baccy per week), did stop a couple of times but always went back. This time I got in touch with my Doctor and he got me an appointment with the Surgery Stop Smoking Nurse. I was given Champix and I had a start date of 6th October so I had a 1/2 miligram course for 10 days before my start date. I have not had a cigarette since my start date and hope this time to never restart. The Champix course lasts 12 weeks and so far I find it does work even though the thought of a cigarette does not leave your mind and sometimes could really fancy one. I have an E-Cig if I was really tempted but so far not used it. As for the side effects I have not had too many, never felt sick as I do take tablets after food, one or two funny dreams and the worst is not being able to sleep some nights. I think this is part of the effects. However I think without Champix I wouldnt be succeeding. I recommend anyone thinking of giving up smoking to try Champix and also see their Surgery Nurse because this way you get weekly support as well whichis fantastic. My wife also supports me having been on to me to do this for years.

VicarInaTutu Fri 11-Oct-13 22:16:14

I had stopped for 11 years, then had one 2 months ago to try and get my.ds to stop...he did. I did ntsad sad but I stopped again 2 days ago. cold turkey. to flipping expensive! I. managing. just.

HaveAGoodDay Sat 05-Oct-13 20:25:10

I've got a really really sore throat ( had it about a week, although really took hold yesterday) so far I haven't had a cig since around yesterday lunchtime. Throat is absolutely killing me now! Can't say i'm wanting a cig anytime soon, so I guess I'd be a fool to start up again once i'm feeling better, but easier said than done I bet.

ep1977 Thu 03-Oct-13 18:25:41

I gave up on the 22nd September. Nearly 2 weeks now. I use an e cig. I keep busy and do not miss having to stand outside in the dark, damp and cold in the winter evenings.

magimedi Thu 03-Oct-13 16:09:50

e-cig - given up for a nearly a year (less 16 days grin ) Had been a smoker for 40+ years.

Feel amazing & haven't gained wieght.

I gave up by cutting down gradually. I set myself 'rules' to suit me, e.g no smoking after 9pm etc., not before 10am, and gradually expanded them to not before midday. I also put it off - "I'll have one in ten minutes' time" and kept doing that.

Took ages but got it down to 1 per day. One every other day was bloody hard! But keep at it. If idiots like me I can do it, anyone can. Have been smoke free apart from one about 15 years ago for over 20 years now! It's great not to have that urge/guilt/expense.

nosleeptilever Thu 03-Oct-13 12:16:41

I quit.seven years ago using zyban from my doc and the mantra "I'm okay just now, I'll have one later" I said that to myself for 4 months all the while having a pack of cigarettes in my bag. It made it feel like it was always my choice and therefore I never felt like I was being denied or punished. Putting it off each time tricked my brain into calming down and the zyban helped with the depression I always got when quitting before.

zookeeper Thu 03-Oct-13 10:12:00

another Allen Carr fan here; 8 years without a fag. And things in terms of what you're gaining rather than what you're giving up.

Showtime Wed 02-Oct-13 22:51:29

I stopped the first time I tried to, from 50 a day, about eight years ago. NHS system of weekly meetings and own choice of any NRT (I chose patches). Smoking was too expensive and inconvenient then, so I plan to stay stopped, but what helped most was the info given on the course, including the fact that cravings would only last 2/3 minutes. Best wishes to anyone giving up - you can do it!

FunnysInLaJardin Wed 02-Oct-13 22:27:06

I am a hardened smoker of 5 fags a day max for the last 30 years shock and have been trying to stop for 30 years. I have tried NRT (patches, gum, inhalator and nasal spray), cold turkey, alan carr, champix. I am now on ecigs and a tiny dose of Champix and so far I have cut down to 2 fags a day. I'm on day 2 and can see that fairly soon I'll be on no fags thanks to the ecig. I do think that this is finally the answer! I am very psychologically addicted

FuckyNell Wed 02-Oct-13 21:40:09

Yy to Allen Carr. 3.5 years ago. Never looked back. Stopped drinking using the same method too.

Seriously, if you are ready to stop read the book.

FrameyMcFrame Wed 02-Oct-13 21:38:56

Why Quit website and Joel Spitzer videos.

FrameyMcFrame Wed 02-Oct-13 21:37:47

Cold turkey is my best tip.

NRT doesn't work.

AthelstaneTheUnready Wed 02-Oct-13 21:22:15

Allen Carr. I stopped over a month ago, and smoking doesn't cross my mind at all now. It was a funny old two weeks to start with, but now I've just about forgotten I ever used to do it - wonderful stuff.

shootfromthehip Wed 02-Oct-13 21:08:03

You really have to know that you hate it enough to stop. I had tried several times but it wasn't until I was really horrified at my continual self abuse that I was really ready to stop. I went on Champix- filthy, vile, hideous tablets but super effective. I also accepted that it was going to be hell. You can't fight how horrible it is. But every one you don't have is a victory. I too kept busy and ate some crap when I wanted too- you can worry about eating well after you've beaten it. Don't be guilty about eating when you give up, it's better than smoking! And stay away from other smokers- they want you to fail!

BadSeedsAddict Wed 02-Oct-13 20:59:34

Allen Carr, amazing. Been stopped around five years and no cravings ever. Nobody believes me that it works, the fools!

doublemuvver Wed 02-Oct-13 20:36:35

I had hypnotherapy 6 weeks ago and have not smoked since. I think about smoking but haven't acted on it. Feels great and so I'm happy that smoking is no longer ruling my life.

Orchidlady Wed 02-Oct-13 16:34:58

E cig for me. Gave up in Feb

Chopchopbusybusy Wed 02-Oct-13 15:29:56

I'd stopped numerous times int the past. Currently stopped for over two years which is the longest period. Used Champix this time. I had my reservations about it but it was great. Wasn't really that hard.
I occasionally have a fleeting thought about cigarettes but I don't think I'll ever smoke again.

Jux Wed 02-Oct-13 15:27:05

My friend stopped over 25 years ago now. She says she hasn't stopped, she just hasn't had the next one yet.

VJsmom Wed 02-Oct-13 15:15:19

When I found out I was pregnant I quit straight away. Having smoked approx 15 a day for 15 years I found it quite easy but then again I felt as if I had no choice. Ds now 5 months old and still no ciggy!!!

Slothlorien Wed 02-Oct-13 15:04:01

I used tiger balm (get from chemist). Every time I had a craving I massaged it into my temples/forehead. There are pressure points there which helped relax me and made the moment pass. The first three days are shit. But if u can do that u can do it all, and the benefits to your lungs/brain/blood is immediate.

kingbeat23 Wed 02-Oct-13 14:08:01

An e-cig was fantastic. The only way I've been able to do it, stick to it and not put on a stone and a half in weight.

Leviticus Wed 02-Oct-13 14:04:57

Also I don't get cravings just the odd rare wave of nostalgia but it never makes me want to smoke again.

The key is being glad you no longer smoke rather than feeling that you've 'given up' something precious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now