Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pt 8 (Oct13) Any old prolapse! Uterus/womb prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, urethrocele, incontinence, pelvic floor, anterior and posterior repair, TVT etc

(1000 Posts)
Bladderama Tue 01-Oct-13 18:12:29

Welcome to thread 8 (again - see below) of a long-running series of posts from ladies suffering from pelvic prolapses to support each other through the process of diagnosis, repair and recovery.

With apologies for confusion in thread numbers - an earlier thread was called part 7 but it was actually the 6th thread.

Here are the previous threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Thread 5
Thread 6
Thread 7

Info from BBC Health

What is a pelvic prolapse?

As the muscles, ligaments and supporting tissues in the pelvis become weaker, they are less able to hold in the organs of the pelvis such as the womb (uterus) or bladder.

Gravity pulls these organs down and, in the more severe cases, may appear through the entrance to the vagina.

A variety of problems can occur, depending on where the weakness lies and which organs are able to descend, but in every case there is some degree of prolapse of the vaginal wall, which begins to invert (rather like a sock turning inside out).
Prolapse of the womb or uterus is the most common prolapse, affecting as many as one in eight older women to some degree
Prolapse of the bladder, known as a cystocele, is less common.
Prolapse of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the bladder) is known as a urethrocele.
Prolapse of the intestines is quite rare, and known as an enterocele or rectocele.

Symptoms

Symptoms depend on which tissues descend, and how severe the prolapse is.

They may include:
A sense of heaviness or pressure in the pelvis.
The appearance of a bulge of tissue in the genital area, which can be quite alarming, and is often red and sore.
Urinary problems, such as having to urinate more frequently, feeling the need urgently, being incontinent (losing control of the bladder) or, conversely, being unable to pass urine when you need to.
Pain in the pelvis or lower back.
Sexual problems, including pain and decreased libido.
Constipation.
Vaginal discharge or bleeding.

Treatment and recovery

Once a prolapse has developed, surgery to fix the affected organs is usually the only way to cure it effectively.

However, another option is to use a device known as a vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. Many women happily manage their prolapse this way.

Footle Thu 20-Mar-14 12:07:11

Lackadaisy, I hope you have medics who give you confidence , and not too long a wait for the next op.

Noordinary, I seem to say the word Movicol a lot on this thread. Have you used it and it hasn't helped ? If not, get some ( plain flavour is not awful to take ) and use it morning and night. Like many others on here, I am resigned to using it forever if necessary, but I've never needed more than one or two sachets a day. It doesn't make you rush to the loo but it softens the BM so it doesn't hurt. Never used enemas but glycerin suppositories, no prescription, work well in an emergency. Hope this helps.

Noordinarygirl Thu 20-Mar-14 08:22:25

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR BOWELS TO GET BACK TO NORMAL?? I've had to use another enema this morning as I just couldn't go AGAIN and felt a huge amount of pooh 'just waiting' to come out but again it was too difficult too push out. How long does it take for this to get back to normal and why do these ops make this happen? What happens to your bowels to stop things so drastically? I'm getting really ticked off with this and am panicking that I only have 3 enemas left. I'm 30 days post op now and if I don't go everyday I just know I'm going to have to 'help' things out yet again.

What does everybody use to keep things going? Lactulose obviously isn't helping enough so do I need to stock up on another sort of suppository or should I just go for senna? Should I take it everyday?

Please can I have some stories from how you have all managed your bowels post op as I am obviously doing something wrong here? I have been feeling quite positive since last week's episode but it's reared it's ugly head again and it's making me feel quite down again. I couldn't possibly go back to work needing to use enemas but there's a while before I need to worry about that as I have sick note that covers me for 4 more weeks yet.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 19-Mar-14 19:11:25

Just a quick update from me; I pop in every now and again...

Seeing my consultant next week as the physios have recommended mne as a candidate for surgery for my cystocele and rectocele...Yay!

But...NAY! I had a side issue of abnormal bleeding and had polyps removed over a year ago and then again in December. This last on, whi9ch grew very big, very quickly, as it turns out, was cancerous. Had a D&C which was inconclusive, but have to go for a pelvic CT scan to check for spread and been advised by the oncology gyn that I need a hysterectomy. Consultant told me that they generally don't do the repairs at the same time as the hysterectomy if the hysterectomy is for cancer related issues.

She said I should keep the appointmenmt with the repair lady so I can be kept "on the books" as it were, and they can look at the repairs further down the line once I'm all healed up from the hysterectomy. Bit of a bummer, but I suppose I can put up with it for a bit longer, if I get to live a life cancer free. Though can't imagine my office being very happy about two lots of time off confused

dudrop2362 Wed 19-Mar-14 16:40:12

footie, glad to hear you're not having problems with cystocele, i know my problems could be a lot worse from what i have read but i had worked myself up over a long time to get it sorted, it's mainly the leaking after i have been to the loo that i don't like.it takes ages to empty my bladder and i still leak I don't regret having the rectocele repair like you and i'm glad to say it hasn't affected my love life, i am sorry to hear you are still having some pain though. has the physio you were having helped at all? i can't say the cystocele does either, so lucky in that way, i take 2 movicol a day and i expect to for the rest of my life, constipation was a problem for me since my eldest son was
born and as i am your age you can imagine how many years ago it wassmile,and although i have to press on perineum to fully empty my bowel its still not as bad as before the repair, gynae did say if it was the bladder that needed surgery he would do the cystocele at the same time, it was obviously ok so i will have to wait until cystocele gets worse because i can't really see what physio can do once you have the prolapse,

Footle Wed 19-Mar-14 12:51:01

dudrop, good to see you, and sorry you've had such a hard time. I have no regrets at all about the rectocele repair, though I think I'm on Movicol for life. Making love can still cause me some pain along the scar line, but it's worth it. I have a bigger cystocele now but not sure what if anything can be done about it. It's not really a problem at the mo.

gottagetthroughthis Wed 19-Mar-14 00:26:06

No IGNORE the last message this one works for all links - sorry it was trial and error!!

Thread 9

gottagetthroughthis Wed 19-Mar-14 00:09:54

Didn't wanna lose these threads girlies you are all my lifeline so here's hoping!! It's worth a try.....

Thread 9

dudrop2362 Tue 18-Mar-14 15:01:52

Hi Everyone & "Footie" I had a rectocele repair at the end of 2010 and wasn't sure it was a complete success, but i have recently seen Gynae he says it was, the trouble is i still have to push the perineum up to have a bm, i also go through a lot of baby wipes, at the time i had the repair he said he was going to do the cystocele too but at the last minute i said i was concerned about being too tight, anyway i have been having problems with leaking and stress (coughing ect!) so that was the reason i eventually went back to see him, He doesn't want me to have surgery to repair it and said my perineum is shot but that it was a painful op and afterward to maybe painful permanently although i haven't read on any of the threads of any ladies having this problem?? anyway he has arranged physio for me ( first time for me on a one to one basis) just had one session 6 weeks after rectocele repair with about 30 other women, also he prescribed Yentreve which my gp advised against for a couple of reasons.
I am relieved i don't have to have surgery again in a way as it took me such a long time to get over my last one two years ago, to remove ovaries and 4 tumors, but i can see the cystocele, it isn't outside yet but i was hoping to get it fixed before it got to that, (i left rectocele so long it was 3rd stage).
sorry this seems a bit of a rant but thank you lovely ladies for listening, I was on the first thread and an odd time since and its good to know we are not on our own as it's not something you can talk to many people about, i have only just explained it fully to DH blush after all this time

flouncymcflouncerson Tue 18-Mar-14 11:04:06

mrsclairet I've requested a 2nd opinion via GP and asked to be referred to a particular surgeon who is a urogyn. I'm happy to go ahead with surgery but want to make sure I get the right thing done. I'm wary of mesh but I think if my original repair is failing so quickly then it may be necessary!

mrsclairet Mon 17-Mar-14 16:19:55

Hi thanks for the well wishes. I am feeling really sore but I only spent one night in hospital and I said I didn't want to get constipated so I am only taking paracetamol and ibuprofen. I am a bit annoyed as I didn't see the consultant afterwards so I'm not totally sure what he has done but I have got my follow up appointment booked in in 6 weeks time.
Flouncy I am really sorry to hear your news, its so hard to know you are going to have to go through so much pain for a 2nd time. Maybe you should get a 2nd opinion? That's what I did once I found out I needed another op.

flouncymcflouncerson Mon 17-Mar-14 09:36:17

Hello. Just popping onto the thread to try catch up. I had cystocele repair on November 13 and now require a further op. Been told hysterectomy due to severe uterine prolapse which was actually discovered in surgery but not touched. My bladder has dropped massively too and I now have bowel symptoms. I unfortunately haven't returned to work yet and won't til after next surgery due to my job and the risk of making a further repair more difficult with worsening things. I've also been told by occ health I may need redeployed which I can't see happening so goodness knows what I'll do.

Sorry for the garbled message!

Good luck for mrsclaire

kianaidan Sun 16-Mar-14 14:10:55

All the best Clairet. Hope ur healing well and getting looked after.

Noordinarygirl Sat 15-Mar-14 21:23:45

mrsclaire my thoughts are with you right now. I realise you won't see this for a while yet but we're all rooting for success this time!

Meanwhile 'back at the ranch' I am getting a bit cheesed off with counting hours between BMs and getting panicky when I've not been for more than about 36 hrs. How long does this go on for? Can't possibly eat any more fibre or drink much more....... How long should I stay on lactulose twice a day and is it OK to take senna too or will that make my bowels 'lazy'?

Frenchfrogbutt Sat 15-Mar-14 10:42:01

Good luck ! Will be sending good vibes! Bonne chance !

kazzawazzawoo Sat 15-Mar-14 10:07:46

Good luck Mrsclairet smile Hope all goes well.

mrsclairet Sat 15-Mar-14 09:54:39

I have got my op today, aaarggghh!!! I have had some breakfast, I am just having my last drink of water now as it is nil by mouth after 10. I am being admitted at 1pm (this is a private hopsital which accepts NHS patients). I'm not sure what time I will be going in but the nurse said she has heard my consultant only does 2 ops on a saturday afternoon so hopefully it won't be too late. I will report back in as soon as I can.

lotsofquestions000 Thu 13-Mar-14 19:28:30

Hi I just check back in here occasionally to see if I can help anyone else after I had so much support from this thread. I am about 5mnths post rectocele repair and my heart goes out to all you ones that are suffering with the discovery of these prolapses. I want to say that I know how you are feeling and I honestly don't regret having my done at all. the recovery pain wise wasn't as bad as I thought. things are tighter down there but in a good way and I do very much feel happier and more like a normal person again now - so you girls hang on in there. Bowels can sometimes be an issue, I spent months still on laxitives but then found they stopped being really effective so thought I would stop them. I do sometimes get a feeling of being a bit bunged up so resort to them then but I can live with that. The fear of it coming back doesn't seem to go away but the further time goes on the less I find I think about it so much - its only when confronted with heavy lifting that I stop and try and get someone else to do instead.
Hope you all get good outcomes with your problems as I think its only if you have experienced this sort of thing that you know how depressing and old and unfeminine it can make you feel. x

kazzawazzawoo Thu 13-Mar-14 18:34:55

French, I think it's my bowel I can feel hmmhmm so not sure if exercises will help hmm

Frenchfrogbutt Thu 13-Mar-14 17:53:58

Hi previous email was for you Kazza !
Thank you SO much Happy IT is a good Feedback for the sexe issue i am SO afraid of the scarring part as i suffered SO much with my tinies episios! Plus i was told that despite the prolapse my vagina is tight Will IT be too small . I am asking questions while i wont get the op by 2/3 years hahaha my god quite anticipating

Frenchfrogbutt Thu 13-Mar-14 17:37:13

Hi
Good luck with the meeting hope everything will be fine
I think you definitely need those exercice if they are offered to you they will strenghten the whole perinee might light some symptoms such as the heaviness and of course if IT wont correct the prolapse it Will help that it wont get bigger Plus the physio Will show you good mouvements for the everyday Life . How to carry a heavy object etc but IT is also very important if you choose the surgery that your perineum be in the best of shape.
By the Way when i say that reeducation wont correct the prolapse its bécause i have a rectocele i read that cystocele grade 1/2 could regress with physio

happylilme Thu 13-Mar-14 17:28:38

French I'm nearly four months post op and I can honestly say it has greatly improved my life in all departments. I was quite depressed before surgery. I didn't want sexual relationship with my husband and when we did it was so restrictive as I was so conscious of my prolapse. I was lucky as he was very understanding and put no pressure on me. It is a big decision to make, in ways I was lucky in a strange way as the consultant said himself the only thing to fix it was surgery. No pelvic floors would help. I have greatly improved my diet but have to occasionally use a suppository to help things along but I am happy to do so.

I hope things improve for you and Kazza soon and that you get the help you need.

kazzawazzawoo Thu 13-Mar-14 17:04:08

French, I haven't seen my gp yet. Had an appointment this week but had to reschedule for next week. Waiting to see what she says hmm Hoping I can put it right with pelvic floor exercises?

Frenchfrogbutt Thu 13-Mar-14 11:23:20

Hi kazza yes exactly no more spontaneity i am 38 my husband 36 my pelvic floor were 5/5 Too bad
I ruined mine and his Life i guess we ll see ... are you considéring the operation i am too bad Now no abs no back muscle i need to be un a good shape before i consider IT and that my son can walk and be indépendant .
Best of luck

Frenchfrogbutt Thu 13-Mar-14 11:14:23

Thank you mrsclairet i understand SO well maybe i am too deep inside dépression to be able to take any décision . My body from the lack of sleep is completely crap the fun fact is thanks to a bad hemmoroids and my back neck knees aches i havent had any dragging feeling ...:-(
IT seems that i have a small rectocele according to the doc i dont think SO i wanted badly to believe that after my meeting but i CAN see IT saying hello through my small labia ...
Well the positive thing i wanted to share with all of you is that i did contact some of the girls on the prévious threads whom i am sûre you read the stories some of thèm were not active any more but i had great answers from 4 years post op 2 or 3 years most SAID IT was tough at the beginning but little by little Life takes back its right and sûre you need to watch out for constipation some of them needs laxative some others only occasionnaly . None regretted IT
SO yes a bad Time ahead but Still only a period to go through ..
I ll send you all my positive vibes for saturday i have a friend who needed very young (31) a lung transplantation IT took âges to find a match she was desperate 4 years ago when they didas a tough operation for her she know she would be out on sédative coma to recover thén not to be able to speak for months .plus the pain the médication anti réjection that pût horrible nausea. She wrote a note from a future self to her she postdated and described all the good things she Will be able to do ( and that she did after like visit corsica go to the ski) prépared a list of reading and mainly wrote Nice encouragement . She said that hé helped a lot IT did the trick cause she believed herself !
Well every one is différent but even though our family and friends are lovely we have to be the warrior here .

kazzawazzawoo Thu 13-Mar-14 10:11:21

Oh frenchfrog, that's me too hmm I hate how feeling like this has affected my life. Nothing is spontaneous anymore. Nothing is much fun anymore. I can't eat what I want, can't have sex when I want ... I wasn't even aware this could happen! Why aren't we warned about these things? Why don't all women get a regular course of pelvic floor exercise classes to avoid these problems? Possibly anyway ... I'm only 49, but, combined with other problems, feel that my life is over and I'm an old lady already.

This thread is not accepting new messages.