Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pt 8 (Oct13) Any old prolapse! Uterus/womb prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, urethrocele, incontinence, pelvic floor, anterior and posterior repair, TVT etc

(1000 Posts)
Bladderama Tue 01-Oct-13 18:12:29

Welcome to thread 8 (again - see below) of a long-running series of posts from ladies suffering from pelvic prolapses to support each other through the process of diagnosis, repair and recovery.

With apologies for confusion in thread numbers - an earlier thread was called part 7 but it was actually the 6th thread.

Here are the previous threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Thread 5
Thread 6
Thread 7

Info from BBC Health

What is a pelvic prolapse?

As the muscles, ligaments and supporting tissues in the pelvis become weaker, they are less able to hold in the organs of the pelvis such as the womb (uterus) or bladder.

Gravity pulls these organs down and, in the more severe cases, may appear through the entrance to the vagina.

A variety of problems can occur, depending on where the weakness lies and which organs are able to descend, but in every case there is some degree of prolapse of the vaginal wall, which begins to invert (rather like a sock turning inside out).
Prolapse of the womb or uterus is the most common prolapse, affecting as many as one in eight older women to some degree
Prolapse of the bladder, known as a cystocele, is less common.
Prolapse of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the bladder) is known as a urethrocele.
Prolapse of the intestines is quite rare, and known as an enterocele or rectocele.

Symptoms

Symptoms depend on which tissues descend, and how severe the prolapse is.

They may include:
A sense of heaviness or pressure in the pelvis.
The appearance of a bulge of tissue in the genital area, which can be quite alarming, and is often red and sore.
Urinary problems, such as having to urinate more frequently, feeling the need urgently, being incontinent (losing control of the bladder) or, conversely, being unable to pass urine when you need to.
Pain in the pelvis or lower back.
Sexual problems, including pain and decreased libido.
Constipation.
Vaginal discharge or bleeding.

Treatment and recovery

Once a prolapse has developed, surgery to fix the affected organs is usually the only way to cure it effectively.

However, another option is to use a device known as a vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. Many women happily manage their prolapse this way.

lotsofquestions000 Thu 03-Oct-13 19:25:57

Whoknows - I think that is why I'm so panicy now as mine hasnt really caused me too many issues except with BMs and even then its not all the time as I generally have a good bowel, but its when I go away and have slightly different routine then things are much worse - if you know what I mean. The other thing is the sex side of things, has never been that great since last child, my DH has been great and not really mentioned it much but I know that I can barely feel him inside me no matter how hard I squeeze, so not much fun for him either, which has meant sex has dwindled over the years and that was one of the reasons I saw GP to get an op referral, as things could be so much better and now the kids are older, we have a bit more energy for that sort of thing again, but if neither of us are enjoying it much there's not much incentive!

Westcountry Thu 03-Oct-13 20:59:54

Please look at my post , if I stop one women ending up like me then I'm happy , I would give anything to even have sex again even if I was loose as anything at least I could orgasm , now I can not do either ! I have a very tight vagina though as the nerve screams every day it makes all my Muscles spasm , I don't want to scare anyone but nobody told me this could happen if they had I would never of taken the risk

Noordinarygirl Thu 03-Oct-13 21:39:33

Westcountry - what op did you have exactly?

Westcountry Thu 03-Oct-13 22:02:51

Anterior and posterior pelvic floor repair for mild prolapse , with very good surgeon

lotsofquestions000 Thu 03-Oct-13 22:15:49

Westcountry - oh god thats making me scared again - how old are you if I can ask? Also how long ago did you have it done.

lotsofquestions000 Thu 03-Oct-13 22:28:41

Whoknows- first I dont think I'm using this site properly as I dont really know what I'm doing so if you can tell me how to get to this current thread easily through mumsnet that would be great. Sorry to be personal but when you say lumps and bumps is it really noticeable - or just to you. Its that sort of thing that I think I'm scared about most, but you still say you are glad you had it done, so is it that bad?

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Fri 04-Oct-13 06:24:57

lotsof select the 'threads I'm on' link at the top of the page and it will be there.

Westcountry Fri 04-Oct-13 08:16:43

I am 40 I had the op in June , thankfully even though I have had very bad luck , I've had a stroke of good luck and am under the care of a team of nerve doctors in bristol , they are one of very few people in the country who help with this , I am hoping that in a year or two I may get back to normal , I just wish I'd have known this can happen , when I signed and there was a thing a about nerve damage , I was told its very rare and would mean numbness , it is rare but it happens , and I don't have numbness I have the worst pain ever , I take loads of drugs - I have since found that I am not the only one , there's several I have spoken to who this happened to this year - I never thought or knew this could happen to me . I know it might not be great to post about this on this board and it might scare people , loads have the op and are fine , loads its a common procedure , but I feel I have to tell my story - like I said my prolapsed were very mild I could easily have lived with them , given the choice I would turn back the clock xx

I'm so sorry to hear your story Westcountry - I too was not made fully aware of the possibility of pain through nerve damage. I'm glad you are under the care of a good team now. I think it's fine to post your story on here, we have a mix of good and bad outcomes between us, what I wouldn't want to see is general scaremongering based on unsound research or statistics, but personal stories are valuable.

I have posted this link before, but there is a great group on FB for those with prolapses, it is private so only members can see your posts, there are professional gynae physios etc on there too it might be worth a look and ask if anyone there has suffered similar and has any suggestions, there are more people in the group than posters on here. FB group

LackaDAISYcal Fri 04-Oct-13 16:05:55

Marking my place again. Was on this thread a while ago and have seen gynae and had physio and lost some weight and it's made no real difference to my symptoms and I was discharged from the physios as I had the temerity to cancel an appointment due to a poorly child. In fact I think I know have a degree of uterine prolapse as well as my anatomy feels very strange indeed; my cervix feels very low and as though there is a ring around it (if that makes any sense at all) and going to the loo is becoming more and more difficult as it seems to be blocking my rear passage. I also had a mirena coil fitted in february after polyp removal and though things in that dept were better to begin with, I've now been bleeding since the beginning of August. I am right royally hacked off and can't have sex at all. If my husband goes near me I either bleed like a stuck pig or wee on him blush Bless him he has the patience of a saint, but even saints have their limits!

Just want things to be normal and sorted with a degree of normality. I know though that they will say I have to lose more weight and will probably send me away with a flea in my ear. BMI is 32. I am struggling with weight loss since having the mirena though.

Sorry for the rant and moan, but I guess if anyone will understand it will be women on here!

Off to catch up with a few stories and see how things are for those of you I remember from previous threads.

Westcountry Fri 04-Oct-13 16:16:50

Whoknows , have you some nerve pain too ? I'm on a bit of a mission with this as there is a nerve that can be damaged and none of the surgeons seem to know about the consequences of this and so some with chronic nerve pain are just referred to pain clinics and told to hang on till it goes away , I shudder to think how hard that must be , but there are people that can help ... When I am better i shall be raising money for a charity that helps people with this pain I am so grateful to have found the team that are helping me , I have gone from hopeless and suicidal to having hope and support anyone else who stumbles upon this who has nerve pain can pm me and I will happily share my story in more detail.

Hi Westcountry - no, I haven't got pain, sorry if my post was misleading, I just meant no one said this was a possibility. I have had sciatica in the past so know a iittle bit how it feels but nothing long term. Well done for thinking in terms of campaigning and fundraising for others.

LackaDaisycal - welcome back, how frustrating being discharged like that.

lotsofquestions000 Fri 04-Oct-13 19:48:23

Musttidy - thanks for that, I manage to get here eventually but hopefully I will be able to work that better, just a technophobe, guess I will be quite proficient after doing nothing else for 6 wks. How are you feeling today - any better? Now I've convinced myself that the op itself will be ok, I'm now worrying how I will cope with 6 weeks of doing nothing!!!! seems like an impossible thing to do. Am borrowing DVDs and got lots of books so will try and just chill while chaos descends around me lol.

lotsofquestions000 Fri 04-Oct-13 19:57:54

Westcountry - I agree with whoknows - it is good to hear the good and the bad it helps us to make an informed decision. I dont know if it is me but the cons seemed to play down any poss problems. He said 1 in 10 can find sex uncomfortable after and tend to have to be 'creative in their lovemaking' I really wanted to ask him for more specifics! but was too embarrassed!!!! I am kind of thinking that I should just get it over and done with, if I cancelled then it would play on my mind that things could get much worse and no time is a good time to put your life on hold for 6 weeks plus I guess. At least my children are technically old enough to do things without me, I don't know how you ones with young children cope with them and recovering it must be near impossible!

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Fri 04-Oct-13 20:59:04

Day four and feeling a little better today. Less exhausted although I'm sure my arse is leaving an imprint in the sofa as I',m on that or in bed. Keeping up the painkillers is keeping it all under control. Have had 2 very restful days as the children have been at school and nursery but think the weekend will be more tiring although my lovely friends are taking them off our hands tomorrow afternoon so DH can do some work and I can do done more sitting around smile. I thought it would be hard to do nothing but at the moment it isn't - I couldn't do much even if I wanted to. People have been lovely and brought dinners / picked up the children etc I am very lucky and very grateful. Have more if an appetite today and am wary of turning into a biscuit munching couch potato and putting back on the weight I battled so hard to lose.

lotsofquestions000 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:15:21

MustTidy - that is yet another one of my worries (although I probably should make it the least important one) but I have recently lost about a stone in weight its taken a long time and I needed to - partly motivated by the thought of just how big I would get if I couldnt exercise and was sat around all day, but I am now getting to a weight that I'm feeling happier with and feeling better about that than I have in years and I am inevitably going to pile it back on and be back at square one! Indulgent I know, but is a very annoying thought. God - worries worries worries!!

Noordinarygirl Sat 05-Oct-13 09:35:41

Me to lotsof. Currently lost a stone with Slimming World and feels masses better. Would like to get another stone off before op on Jan 2nd. My thinking exactly - just how much is going to go back on when you are not allowed to do anything. I've been told about 7 weeks off work and then 6 months lifting nothing more than 5kgs....OMG how the hell I'm going to manage that? 4 teenagers, a partner who works all mad hours and a garden that I adore working in. I did go back to work way too early after my sub-total hysterectomy last year which could have been the reason that I'm now needing further surgery. Lesson learned but it'll be very, very difficult for me to not do a thing.

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Sat 05-Oct-13 12:32:00

Well I bloody well weighed myself this morning and have put on at least 5lbs which seems extraordinary as I ate nothing on Thursday. I sincerely hope it's just because my bowels are so lazy.
I am so going to suffer with not being able to run/zumba and am thinking about swimming until I'm fully recovered. Anyone know when it's safe to start?(obviously it's the last thing I want to do right now I can barely be bothered to make myself a coffee).
A trying hard to not be fed up with DH. I know he has a lot to do and the kids are demanding (kind) but he's so bloody huffy and puffy. Grrrrr.

lotsofquestions000 Sat 05-Oct-13 19:20:41

MustTidy - yeh that is the trouble we do so much with running the house without even thinking about it don't we, don't think the DH have a clue until put into a position like this and mine goes away a lot too and I too have garden I love. think the swimming when the time is right is a good plan I hate swimming and love the more active stuff but will have to wait some time for that. The things we go through for our little cherubs hey!
Noordinary -is it that long before we can lift much oh god that's going to be hard, I am always lugging stuff around - think my food shopping bags weigh more than that

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Sat 05-Oct-13 19:35:59

Today he was telling me how tired he is and how blocked up his nose is. I'm ashamed to say I said well come here and let me cut open and stitch up your ball sack and it'll take your mind off it.
Sorry I'm not normally that crude, but, really???

lotsofquestions000 Sat 05-Oct-13 19:43:05

totally agree!! and haven't had it done yet!!

lotsofquestions000 Sat 05-Oct-13 19:57:46

On another note girls, what have you told your kids and work about this? I've kept mine simple to DCs by just saying some of my tummy!! muscles got damaged when pregnant and need fixing so I think they assume my tummy is being cut open - hope they don't ask to see scar!!?! As for work - its all women I work with so I have gone into specifics, kind of wish I hadn't really but just found myself feeling I had to justify why I would be signed off for 6 weeks. They have been quite understanding, and at least it stopped them asking questions which 'm sure they would of done otherwise, and lets face it we all know how babies come out and now we also know that this can be a consequence for those unfortunate ones. Just cringe worthy though.
How do I use the smiley list?

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Sat 05-Oct-13 20:03:26

Type what you want in square brackets, see options below.
I told my DCs that the doctors were putting things back into the right place and didn't elaborate. Youngest 2 are too little to notice or care but DS1 said to me tonight what happens if your cut 'down there' comes open so I told him it had some stitches and it won't and don't worry but I'm going to make time to talk to him tomorrow and see if he has any questions as don't want him confused.
A couple of people at work know why I am off and I guess the others put two and two together if you don't go into detail?

lotsofquestions000 Sat 05-Oct-13 20:14:30

thanks MustTidy - learning all the time eh smile

lotsofquestions000 Sun 06-Oct-13 08:27:12

Hi lindamag - I will be thinking of you tomorrow - hope all goes well - keep me posted when you can - I go in for mine on Friday - petrified!

This thread is not accepting new messages.