Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

How long did it take to recover from a laparoscopy

(23 Posts)
drivingmisslazy Thu 26-Sep-13 18:09:10

Have to have one soon (awaiting the dates) I was told I would need 2 weeks off work, I have just started a job I love and was wondering how long people took to get over it as from what I have read 1-2 weeks is the norm.

TIA

I had one Monday, still feeling it today and that's 3 days post op. I can't drive for 2 weeks but hoping to be far more mobile around Sunday compared to today.

smile

handcream Thu 26-Sep-13 18:18:13

Only a few days tbh. Certainly wasnt told not to drive.

Also, got a baby out of it the following year if you are having one for fetility reasons. I think it does flush things through. No medical evidence but its a good procedure if they are looking for clues as to what is going wrong.

drivingmisslazy Thu 26-Sep-13 18:36:03

Thanks for your replies. No not fertility reasons, been having problems and they going to do that, have a look and fit a mirena coil fitted to stop heavy periods and try to find where the pain is coming from.

Hope your feeling better soon Sparkle smile

Thanks drivingmisslazy.

My procedure was gastric related which may impact upon recovery time. Like, today for example, I'm just beginning to bend over. So it probably depends on your specific procedure. Good luck when it comes around. smile

p.s.: I find the Mirena fab.

somersethouse Thu 26-Sep-13 18:53:37

Goodness, I was as right as rain the next day!

ClockWatchingLady Thu 26-Sep-13 19:10:29

I went back to work after a week feeling fine, but immediately came down with a bad tummy bug. No idea if that was related to the op though. Hope all goes well.

GobbySadcase Thu 26-Sep-13 19:12:46

I was worse after my laparoscopy than after my c sections (x3).
Think that was the gas, though.

Walked hunched for a week, completely better after 2.

drivingmisslazy Thu 26-Sep-13 20:31:57

Thanks again.

Thanks again sparkle I was a little wary of the coil, but have heard a few good stories so hopefully that will sort me out.

ThePuffyShirt Thu 26-Sep-13 20:37:14

I was also as right as rain!

Had it in the afternoon, dh picked me up and we went to the pub for supper and wine and I went to work the following day.

Mine was purely diagnostic though - don't know if that makes a difference.

Bunbaker Thu 26-Sep-13 20:41:19

I had one on a Friday and was back at work on the Tuesday. One to two weeks seems a long time, but mine was for infertility investigations so there wasn't an underlying health problem to start with.

wifeofdoom Thu 26-Sep-13 20:43:00

I've had two - the simple one where they didn't cut anything out and just had a look was about 5 days - just sleepy to get over the aneasthetic. The second one was a major one and took the 14 days. Neither was as bad as i'd imagined and not painful just made me very very tired. Hope all goes smoothly!

mirry2 Thu 26-Sep-13 20:45:43

I went back to work the next day.

drivingmisslazy Thu 26-Sep-13 21:01:34

Thanks looks like I will just take each day as it comes.

Thanks WOD smile

valiumredhead Thu 26-Sep-13 21:14:03

I've had 2 and it was a week each time.

sashh Fri 27-Sep-13 08:00:46

The only problem I had was coming home the next day a little boy on the train was kicking my seat - explained to mum and he stopped.

I wasn't working but I could have done a couple of days later depending on the work.

Hatpin Sat 28-Sep-13 00:14:46

It depends what you have done.

The first one I had was diagnostic - a couple of days.

Most recent, I had fibroids + endo removed - four weeks.

I would plan for 1-2 weeks off if you don't think they will do anything major.

I had a mirena fitted and it's been absolutely fine. So lovely not to have horrendous periods anymore.

Good luck with the op.

drivingmisslazy Sun 29-Sep-13 19:38:39

Thanks Hatpin,

Yes I have a fibroid they want to remove as well as well as suspected endo too.

FizzyFeet Mon 30-Sep-13 21:46:08

I've had several (two ectopics and endo removal) and have needed the two weeks each time, though part of that was emotional as well as physical.

My top tips are to stock up on peppermint capsules and peppermint tea to help deal with the gas they will probably put inside you, and (tmi) bran flakes and grapes to help counteract the effects of codeine!

Good luck with the op.

Showtime Mon 30-Sep-13 22:52:15

All I remember after my (diagnostic) laparoscopy is the dreadful pain - GP did house visit and was surprised I'd had no warning about the gas and nothing from hospital for the pain.

ClenchingPanda Tue 01-Oct-13 03:37:09

I had an ovarian cyst removed as a day case. Was in agony the following day but recovered quickly. Op was on a Weds and did a 5K run walk on the Sat. This probably wasn't medically advisable though!

chocosaurus Tue 01-Oct-13 21:15:52

Just another vote for mirena ius. Fantastic for pain and bag periods. Hope you get better soonsmile

openerofjars Tue 01-Oct-13 21:26:57

I can't remember how long recovery from the actual procedure itself took, but I don't think it was that bad as I only had a diagnostic laparoscopy. I don't remember it hurting at all, really, although that could be because of all the lovely cocodamol.

However, I was only fully back to normal from the GA two weeks later: I felt really knackered and horrible, like flu or anaemia for nearly a fortnight. And for god's sake when they offer you lactulose for post-operative constipation, take it, woman. Especially if you neck cocodamol like its Haribo. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now