Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

sinusitis - please help me.

(42 Posts)
Julezboo Fri 13-Sep-13 20:50:54

pain is so bad! sad sad I've taken naproxen. what else can I take or do? I have a heated wheat thing and Vick's. I feel like crying. it's the 4th day now. sad

lots of hot showers and sleep propped up.

Not much helps tbh other than all this.

It WILL pass. But fuck it is horrid. sad Sympathy from here too

Spookey80 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:47:34

When I had this the only thing that helped with the pain was codeine and paracetamol together ( you can buy it in boots in one tab, think its co-coda mol).
Have my sympathies, it was agony.

scripsi Mon 16-Sep-13 19:45:10

tb I have some geranium essential oil, do you think it might help if I inhale it?

tb Mon 16-Sep-13 18:28:45

Acetyl cysteine - it splits the mucous so that it can drain. It's available on prescription in 200mg sachets box of about 20 or from H+B as a food supplement in 600mg capsules.

There's a product in France called Euvanol don't know if it's available in the UK. It's based on geranium oil that you squirt up your nose. It does work, unfortunately for me, the smell of geranium oil - it's like the leaves - makes me want to be sick.

ppeatfruit Mon 16-Sep-13 08:52:29

Another mucous forming thing is alcohol and or corn products for some people.

Agree hidden that acupressure massage is very good for sinus trouble. Just tipping your head right back while lying flat helps too.

hiddenhome Sun 15-Sep-13 22:39:21

Regular sinus washouts will help. I suffer from chronic sinusitis and have to do a washout every day just to stop it from flaring up.

Some people use a Netipot. I like the Neilmed Sinus Rinse. I bought mine via Amazon.

The only thing that works for my pain is Tramadol (courtesy of MIL smile)

Go onto Youtube which will teach you how to do a massage in order to get your sinuses to drain. Once they start to drain, the pain subsides.

ppeatfruit Sat 14-Sep-13 16:55:09

The turmeric will help with ANY problems maybe caused by corn, but as we get older we have worse reactions to e.g. cows milk or cheese (immediately they give dh asthma). earthy it can help with your problems too have a glass of water with it and mix it with a good oil like olive. Good luck.

Earthymama Sat 14-Sep-13 14:59:13

There are some great threads on here that will give you advice, though I think you have already received some good tips.

I have chronic sinusitis and am lying on the bed typing this as I feel dreadful today. Ended a course of anti-bios yesterday but it is still really sore and I am so weary

If I had a Magic Wand that could take away my ailments, psioritic arthritis or chronic sinusitis I would choose to have clear sinuses; it is horrible and really affects my life.

I hope you feel better soon.

Julezboo Sat 14-Sep-13 14:46:02

don't have much dairy ATM anyway as dieting smile ooh gave me antibiotics and I also got some cocodomol and otrivine (don't like this but it helped)
only discharge is snot (sorry!) but face is swollen and tender so doc gave me anti b's I am hoping to manage my 4 hours at work tomorrow as only work a Sunday n was off last week for a wedding smile

ppeatfruit Sat 14-Sep-13 13:18:53

sleepingdragon Is correct to say give up dairy. Also taking turmeric is amazing for allergic reactions to dairy (i make a paste with olive oil and take 2 Tspoonsfuls at each meal). Try it it is incredible!

RockinD has good ideas too: I LOVE essential oils eucalyptus is wonderful and so is cajeput.

Hot thyme tea is lovely grin

gymboywalton Sat 14-Sep-13 13:02:24

have you any discharge? when i had it, i had orange water constantly dripping from my nose [gross i know sorry]

it's a sign that anti b's are needed

RockinD Sat 14-Sep-13 12:35:55

My doc told me that there was nothing he could give me that would be more effective than steam - then I discovered aromatherapy and now at the first signs I get a brew going: tea tree for the bugs, lavender for the headache and eucalyptus for the congestion.

Julezboo Sat 14-Sep-13 08:40:29

I'm off to out of hours today x thank you all.

worst night sleep ever sad

ozymandiusking Fri 13-Sep-13 22:39:41

Sounds as though you really need antibiotics.
Also, if you are breathing in steam,ie head over a bowl covered with a towel,don't go outside too soon or it will be extremely painful.Wait a couple of hours.

EugenesAxe Fri 13-Sep-13 22:21:52

I would go to the doctors... I left mine for quite a while and had to do things like driving massaging my forehead; I had no patience left for the children and felt permanently close to tears.

Even ABs, which historically have sorted things for me within a couple of doses, took two or three days to stop the pain (consistently, at least)... about the only thing my body couldn't get shot of on its own.

Julezboo Fri 13-Sep-13 22:00:23

so exhausted. had one of my boys with croup for ten days just as he picked up my middle boy came down with a sick bug on Mon night. then I woke up with a cold and this bloody thing! sad

scripsi Fri 13-Sep-13 21:51:33

I have the same problem (have been posting about it this week) I have a salt water nasal spray which has been helping.

Am so tired of this!

Greenandcabbagelooking Fri 13-Sep-13 21:50:41

Beconase nasal spray. I get sinusitis every time I get a cold, and this stuff really helps. Hope it clears up soon OP.

Use Otrivine but very sparingly as it starts to create its own problem of inflamed nostrils very quickly. But for me it was the only thing that would allow me to drop off to sleep.
Sympathies, I have had it twice and it's horrid. My GP suggested preventative measures for this winter as apparently once you've had it a couple of times you are very likely to getting regularly sad

Googlella Fri 13-Sep-13 21:41:56

And drink loads of water, juices etc.

Googlella Fri 13-Sep-13 21:38:40

My sympathies - it is HORRIBLE. Sleep propped up on several pillows to help sinuses drain.

Julezboo Fri 13-Sep-13 21:32:25

pain relief is starting to work. smile thank you for suggestions. will send dh to chemist tomorrow!

Lizzabadger Fri 13-Sep-13 21:31:43

I am so sorry. It's horrible.

1. Pain killers
2. Salt water nasal spray or nasal rinse
3. Steam
4. Steroid spray which you will need to get from GP
5. Poss antibiotics ditto.

My GP says that decongestants like sudafed make it worse longer term as they cause a sort of rebound effect.

Get well soon.

vallinnapod Fri 13-Sep-13 21:28:13

Otrivine (sp?) is great.

Acupuncture really helps too but only for the length of the treatment and the following few hours (having acupuncture for IVF and as an aside mentioned I was literally dying from sinusitis). The relief was instantaneous. I could have kissed my acupuncturist. Obviously not really worth it on it's own. >>pretty useless suggestion....<<

Julezboo Fri 13-Sep-13 21:28:10

I was using veg steamer last weekend for baby who had croup but it's now at mils house who has baby (he's mostly better but I need sleep!) don't have humidifier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now