Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cure my sore throat?

(19 Posts)
reggiebean Tue 10-Sep-13 17:39:08

I've had it all day, and thought it would go away, but it's just been getting worse and worse.

I cannot gargle with saltwater, and Boots is already closed, so give me your best home remedy tips please.

And we're out of manuka honey.

reggiebean Tue 10-Sep-13 17:48:34

Bump. Seriously, someone help me. My throat is on fire!!

reggiebean Tue 10-Sep-13 18:00:33

Hellllllp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

FourGates Tue 10-Sep-13 18:16:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Juiciestorange Tue 10-Sep-13 18:19:31

Lemon and ginger. Hope you feel better soon x

reggiebean Tue 10-Sep-13 18:28:34

What do you do with the lemon and ginger jucies? Hot water?
FourGates Ugh, I hate gargling too... I hate it, hate it, hate it.

I'm 26 years old, and I'm still completely helpless when it comes to getting ill. Why is my mum halfway across the world!? [cross]

usualsuspect Tue 10-Sep-13 18:32:28

Try taking some ibuprofen

reggiebean Tue 10-Sep-13 18:33:36

Thanks usualsuspect. Have taken some earlier, but could probably do with some more!

reggiebean Tue 10-Sep-13 18:55:48

Have just told my flatmate I was probably going to keel over from this illness, and he just responded, "Fair enough." and turned on the Simpsons. sad

I want my mummy!!!!!

A square or two of milk chocolate. I have this when I have a cough, its supposed to have something in it that suppresses a cough, so it might work for a sore throat? If not, its a great excuse to eat chocolate 'in the interests of scientific research' grin

Hope you feel better soon. x

reggiebean Tue 10-Sep-13 19:02:24

Don't have any milk chocolate in the house I'm afraid (can't stand the stuff), but have some white chocolate... Surely that's the same?? grin

I'm loving mumsnet remedies, I knew you would make me feel better!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 10-Sep-13 19:05:47

Eat a clove of raw garlic. Crush it and swallow it like medicine on a spoon. Seriously...it works. I don't care if I stink...that's better than pain!

reggiebean Tue 10-Sep-13 19:09:48

Neo is it really grim, eating garlic on its own? Do you chew it?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 11-Sep-13 11:00:16

No! Like medicine...you swallow it off the spoon. Chop it very finely and squash it with the back of the knife. It isn't grim for you....just have plenty of mints for 24 hours after! grin

reggiebean Wed 11-Sep-13 11:41:36

Gulp... Okay, I will give it a go! Thanks!

Don't forget to breathe on your unsympathetic flatmate! grin

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 11-Sep-13 17:10:23

how is it now OP?

headlesslambrini Italy Wed 11-Sep-13 17:21:52

soluble aspirin and gargle it, then swallow after.

someone else recently posted about their throat and there were lots of remedies on that thread.

reggiebean Wed 11-Sep-13 17:28:31

Neo had a doctor's appt today (I know, I know, I'm such a baby!) but got some antibiotics for it. Did choke down some garlic (couldn't do a whole clove), and tried to drink some carrot/apple/ginger juice, but the ginger was too strong and I couldn't drink the whole thing grin

Did gargle with aspirin last night, but didn't do a lot that I could tell.

Anyway, on the antibiotics and Lemsip and Emergen-C now, and have just bought a bottle of zinc as well!

Thanks for all the tips everyone!! (and for listening to me whine!) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now