Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

A&E or would I be seen as wasting their time?

(76 Posts)
illustrated Fri 06-Sep-13 19:47:56

I've been pretty unwell recently; Lots of lumps on my neck, joint pain, tiredness, night sweats, excessive bruising and headaches.

Things came to a head last night after I couldn't sleep due to the pain. I've had blood tests today and have to wait till Monday for results. I asked for pain relief and due to me breastfeeding I got an ant-inflammatory - Naproxen.

I've taken it but the pain is just getting worse by the hour. Paracetamol wont touch it either.

Is this something I should go to A&E for, would anyone know if I can actually get anything stronger whilst breastfeeding? I'm so tired and don't need another night of no sleep.

Leverette Sun 08-Sep-13 19:18:43

Oh how frustrating for you sad I hope there's no issue with getting your results tomorrow as originally planned, and that you manage to get some sleep tonight.

idiot55 Sun 08-Sep-13 19:26:22

Hope ou manage o get some sleep tonight. X

PrincessKildare Sun 08-Sep-13 19:36:37

I'm a nurse. Go to A and E now! They will do repeat bloods and have em back in an hour. U need to be seen if ur condition is worsening.

Griggson Sun 08-Sep-13 20:26:29

Go to A&E.

I'm going to keep saying it until you go. I understand the concerns of the people who say don't go, but I think that - in this case - it is best that you go and see someone because you sound like you're really suffering.

It's not an accident, but it may become an emergency very quickly.

gingeroots Sun 08-Sep-13 21:09:16

Of course people shouldn't abuse A&E ,but you can't reduce it to a simple question of only go if it's an emergency or an accident . Of if you're likely to be admitted .
I called OHH this am after a long night of unbearable post operative pain ( op 3 weeks ago ) .OHH called ambulance ( tho pain no longer unbearable ) for A & E .

I'm just back ,have had blood tests etc ,with results and an ultrasound arranged for tommorrow .
So why can't OP go ?They can repeat the blood tests as said upthread .

NationMcKinley Sun 08-Sep-13 21:41:29

I also stand by A&E. Please, Illustrated, go to A&E!

Serious pain.that ooh can't help with is fine for a and e.

kilmuir Sun 08-Sep-13 21:53:22

i worked in a and e. i think you should go. nothing to lose. believe me people turn up there with all sorts, not always an accident or emergency.

NationMcKinley Sun 08-Sep-13 21:55:10

Too true kilmuir! grin

MinesAPintOfTea Mon 09-Sep-13 08:18:42

givemestrengthorlove The problem is that people come onto MN when they're not confident to go to A&E, not when they shouldn't go. If you want to see why A&E is overflowing look at 111, who send people who want to see OOH to A&E because that's what their flowchart says (and its no longer possible to just go to OOH without going through their flowchart).

A tiny tiny proportion of people have been advised to go by MN compared to the tidal wave sent by 111 when they don't need to be.

NationMcKinley Mon 09-Sep-13 18:05:23

Did y

NationMcKinley Mon 09-Sep-13 18:06:30

Oops! Try again......blush
Did you get your blood results, Illustrated? How are you feeling?

illustrated Tue 10-Sep-13 12:22:14

Yeah I got them today. They aren't very normal apparently and some weren't processed properly. I will apparently have to have more in 3 weeks. Its not really put my mind at rest, still not knowing whats wrong.

morethan1 Tue 10-Sep-13 12:44:50

Are you kidding? Do NOT wait 3 weeks. Make a fuss now,this minute, and get to a doctor this afternoon for new tests. See a different GP if necessary. Or go to bloody A&E if you get no joy, you have to force this issue. Best of Luck.

chocoluvva Tue 10-Sep-13 13:01:10

How are you feeling? (apart from unsatisfied)

gingeroots Tue 10-Sep-13 14:03:11

Oh illustrated I'm so sorry .
I don't understand it but this kind of thing just seems to happen to some people .
I agree with morethan .
If you have the energy of course .

morethan1 Tue 10-Sep-13 16:47:02

Find the energy. I'd be sat refusing to move in the haematology department of my nearest decent hospital with whatever results I had in a printout in my hand. The NHS is full of wonderful people who do wonderful things and I love it, but sometimes it can be truly crap and you have to be awkward to get things done. Being a pushy arsehole can save your life - do it.

Leverette Tue 10-Sep-13 20:37:31

illustrated this is not ok and I concur with morethan1's recommendations completely. Seriously, go kick some butts girl.

lisad123everybodydancenow Tue 10-Sep-13 20:48:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThermoLobster Tue 10-Sep-13 20:50:07

Illustrated how are you doing? Are you still bfeeding? I really don't think you should have to wait 3 weeks. When I was in a heamatology ward, they got the results back in an hour. Even at my GPs it is same day. I get that some blood results take longer, especially when they are trying to 'grow' something, but the timescales they have told you seem unreasonable. If you are feeling too weak to escalate, can you get someone to have a rant on your behalf? I really hope things improve for you.

givemestrengthorlove Tue 10-Sep-13 21:18:19

Which ones were abnormal?

NationMcKinley Tue 10-Sep-13 22:26:27

Do you have a copy of your blood results, illustrated?

gingeroots Wed 11-Sep-13 15:17:26

illustrated how's it going ?
Anything we can help with ?
Even if it's just sympathy if you're not able to push the powers that be on this .

flowers

How are you OP?

I was watching this thread as I was worried about the OP - if you're still reading illustrated, I hope you are ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now