Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Prickly heat!!

(9 Posts)
Weelady77 Fri 30-Aug-13 08:27:30

Can anyone give me some tips how to stop prickly heat or soothe it!

I'm away to benidorm in 3 weeks and always get it last year it was so bad I ended up having to go to the doctor and paying a fortune for creams and tablets!hmm

ShatnersBassoon Fri 30-Aug-13 08:34:52

Calamine lotion and hydrocortisone cream will soothe it. Just avoid direct sun to prevent it I suppose, keep cool and drink plenty.

Weelady77 Fri 30-Aug-13 09:12:02

Can I buy the cream from the chemist??

I'm hoping it won't be as bad as I'm not going to such a hot place this year!!

ShatnersBassoon Fri 30-Aug-13 09:13:28

Yes, ask at the counter.

Labro Fri 30-Aug-13 17:25:14

Also use a high factor sun screen designed for sensitive skin/babies (I get it too!)

PoshPenny Fri 30-Aug-13 23:24:54

Lanacane powder

digerd Sat 31-Aug-13 06:52:05

I got it in Lanzerote years ago. Just went to a chemist there and the cream she gave me cleared it up fast. Don't rmember what it was called.

Chemist advice is free smile

Buzzardbird Sat 31-Aug-13 07:04:30

This is the first year that I managed to control it after trying everything else previously.
I managed it with hydrocortisone 0.5% is available otc and an anti-itch cream like eurax also available otc.
be careful with sunblock as unless it is a very sensitive one as mentioned above it will block the pores making it worse. Boots do a good baby one.
have a fab time.

kittybiscuits Sat 31-Aug-13 23:36:55

Hiya, had a break through with my daughter last year, who has always suffered with prickly heat. We have been using the Boots Soltan 5* UVA sun creams and she hasn't suffered any more prickly heat. It doesn't matter how high the SPF is, you still need 5* UVA rating if you are very sensitive. Good luck and happy holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now